blink-182 Quits Tom Delonge

Ghent

Well according to the contract Mark mentioned, they need to get the blink album done in 6 months once they actually do start to work on it.  Assuming things flow smoothly after Musink and Skiba stays on board, its quite possible we'd get a new blink album by October

hmm..that is nice! Mark and Travis can at least control Matt so we should have a new album soon

And this other performance on Reading, back in 2005 (We've Had Enough, Private Eye and Settle for Satin). It was during Crimson era. I'll stop posting more AK3 stuff here, I promise. Enough examples, hahaha. There's plenty of examples on how Matt blows Tom away in terms of singing. I'm sure he'll be able enough to take care of blink. Of course, this can't prevent of all the weirdness we all can perceive on first instance because all I've said: they are really different. But, well... that's something it's going to happen no matter who fills the gap.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pTs-LnCrE

Wow, Stay Together For The Kids really feels like it applies to the situation, especially Tom singing the chorus,

"so here's your holiday, hope you enjoy it this time"  - thats so perfect, it's like Tom saying he's leaving again, but kinda against his will this time, so he hopes Mark and Travis actually enjoy it this time (sarcastically)

"you gave it all away" - the band, blink-182

"it was mine" - he feels like the band is his, he formed it

"so when you're dead and gone will you remember this night" - the night where Tom is saying he's still in the band, the night of the announcement that he quit

"twenty years now lost" - blink just over 20 years old is no more from Tom's perspective, he's out of that world

"it's not right" - he feels betrayed

With Mark saying how he feels in the verses.  Its weird to think of these songs in this way, I never applied any Mark and Tom songs as like a conversation between the two, but it kinda works in a really cool and kinda chilling way.

It actually does work almost perfectly. I was thinking about that song too.

I don't think you really need to be into AK3 to think this is a good fit.

Good voice, good guy, good energy, good guitar player, same age, same scene. He's a natural fit. Will undoubtedly be better live than Tom. So if they can just click in the studio and write some cool shit, it will reestablish blink. 

And as a friend of mine pointed out, blink will no longer have to play everything a step down live to accommodate Tom's shit voice. Will be nice to hear things at speed. And there's a good chance Mark will sound better too as a result.

That's what I've been saying.  Don't focus on the AK3 music so much as you should focus on his voice and guitar skills.  I think his voice is fucking awesome and could meld so much better with Mark's than Tom's ever did.  And he is a fantastic guitar player.  I think he can handle writing and singing blink like songs.  It's very clear that he took Alkaline Trio in a very specific direction, but I think if he wanted to, he probably could have taken them in any direction he wanted, I don't think he's limited to writing in that AK3 style at all, but I suppose we shall (hopefully) see.  At the very least, I think he'll be a great fit singing all the classic blink songs with Mark live at the festival.   New music is so hard to imagine right now.

If you're trying to get an impression of Matt Skiba's voice, watch out for the performances from 2002-2005. Skiba had trouble with acid reflux due to his alcoholism (part of the reason why Good Mourning is probably their darkest record).

That's not what he normally sounds like. He's actually sounded great recently, and he's also sober now so that helps.

How is he going to sound in 2015? Well, I'd say his "new" voice came about in 2008 with the release of Agony & Irony. Here's a performance from around that time:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7Jh9ai7mA

If you're trying to get an impression of Matt Skiba's voice, watch out for the performances from 2002-2005. Skiba had trouble with acid reflux due to his alcoholism (part of the reason why Good Mourning is probably their darkest record).

That's not what he normally sounds like. He's actually sounded great recently, and he's also sober now so that helps.

How is he going to sound in 2015? Well, I'd say his "new" voice came about in 2008 with the release of Agony & Irony. Here's a performance from around that time:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7Jh9ai7mA

I was avoiding those videos because he were heavily processed on autotune shit-machine. That performance is just not ok.

To check out his actual voice, I suggest the guitar center vids or the concert I put from 2008.

EDIT: well, in that song the autotune shit is not much noticeable, don't watch the Help Me performance on that same show. Is painful. Also, Calling all Skeletons... what an amazing song.

Oh, LE GUITAR TONE. Seriously, I can't believe it's lie 99% that we're not getting more of that shitty flat tone Tom was using.

The songs are OK, and he seems like a good dude. But he doesn't strike me as particularly inventive (guitar wise), or as someone who can/will drive Blink's sound to the next level.

Btw, who's idea was it to change Blink's sound for the Untitled record. Did Mark, Tom and Travis decide it all together? I want to know who was the big push behind it.

• Like 1

He's also a member of the Church of Satan. I'm sure Cheerios will like that

http://www.mtv.com/news/1503044/alkaline-trios-matt-skiba-satanisms-fun/

You know, I always found this statistic startling:

godvsatan.jpg

If you just go by the numbers of the bible, Satan seems like the saner nicer being than God, not willing to kill at the drop of a pin.  Almost makes more sense to worship Satan than God if you ask me, not that I'd really ever do either.