blink-182 Quits Tom Delonge

Ghent

I think we're all glad that he didn't make a movie for blink though. Or a book or a comic. From the start AVA was always meant to be more than just a band. Blink-182 was always just a band. Which is how it should be.

I agree with you that Tom should have been more involved with blink, but it makes sense why Angels was more time consuming. He always meant for it to be something bigger than what he had done before in blink-182.

I enjoy Cove's Saosin as well. Their self-titled album is my favorite thing Saosin has released.

Anyway back to blink, remember this? It wasn't even very long ago!:

K1532_blink_cover.jpg?64e00b

"How Mark, Travis, and Tom Learned to Love Again"

I don't remember what the article said but I'm assuming now that it was pure bullshit.

Mark needs to let go of that haircut.

• Like 1

I think we're all glad that he didn't make a movie for blink though. Or a book or a comic. From the start AVA was always meant to be more than just a band. Blink-182 was always just a band. Which is how it should be.

I agree with you that Tom should have been more involved with blink, but it makes sense why Angels was more time consuming. He always meant for it to be something bigger than what he had done before in blink-182.

blink-182 was/is a band with a lot of different trademarks associated to it (loserkids, atticus, famous, macbeth, etc). running a clothing company is just as time consuming as running a book publisher company: you (the well known name) don't really work, you just promote the products and sign contracts, etc... tom tries to be seen as the creative genious behind everything, but he's 1% of the whole project at most.

I'm not saying I wanted blink to do those things.  But Tom has always had grandiose plans for AVA and blink always was: I'll work on that when I have nothing else going on.  My whole point is that Tom clearly wanted work primarily on AVA and blink had become his side project, and it was annoying bullshit.  

In some alternate universe the Love movie could have been a movie originating on the story of Asthenia. And the first trailer could have been with that song in it. I'm sure it would get more media and blink fans attention.

In theory, Asthenia could work as a movie, but you gotta have more than one character up there in space.  If the story was, one person is so taken in by outer space that they aren't sure they even want to return to earth, while the captain is ready to bring the ship back to earth, and the conflict that could arise from that, you could have a pretty cool movie.  The one that wants to stay in space could be trying to kill the other, and if the spaceship is big enough, it could be a cool thriller even, but to limit yourself with one character and take Asthenia as the basis for the movie, you essentially end up with the Love movie (with none of the weird call backs to civil war and shit), and that would not work.

LOVE was a shitty movie and that's that. It was boring as hell and made absolutely no sense at the end. I teeter dangerously close to being a Tombot at times, and even I can't stick up for that movie. It was a cool idea. It could have been good. But it wasn't. Attaching blink-182's name to the movie wouldn't have saved the movie. It would have tarnished the blink-182 name even more.

That being said, they could have done a similar movie based on Asthenia. That might have worked. But, the movie as it is now, unchanged, would not have been a good thing for blink to release. Frankly, I'm glad blink-182 doesn't make movies (outside of documentaries like Urethra Chronicles and Riding in Vans With Boys) and try to be this bigger art project. Blink is a band and that's all I want them to be.

• Like 1

I'm not saying I wanted blink to do those things.  But Tom has always had grandiose plans for AVA and blink always was: I'll work on that when I have nothing else going on.  My whole point is that Tom clearly wanted work primarily on AVA and blink had become his side project, and it was annoying bullshit.  

Well yeah, I agree with you there. I'm just saying based on blink being just a band and Angels being a gigantic media project / company it makes sense why he put more time into AVA. What doesn't make sense is why it took up like 99% of his time, and blink got 1%. I can understand AVA being the more time consuming project, I won't get on his case for being busier with AVA, but I agree with you that he could have still been busier with AVA than blink and still made time for blink-182.

Why would a similar movie work simply cause it was blink Tom?

That's not really what I meant to say. I guess I wasn't clear. I mean the idea of a movie based off the same idea as Asthenia has the potential of being good. Not necessarily done by Tom or blink-182 in any way. The idea of blink-182 making movies sounds awful to me.

That's not really what I meant to say. I guess I wasn't clear. I mean the idea of a movie based off the same idea as Asthenia has the potential of being good. Not necessarily done by Tom or blink-182 in any way. The idea of blink-182 making movies sounds awful to me.

Yeah, I agree, like I outlined above, the idea of Asthenia could work if you retool the story a little bit, where maybe aesthetically it looked a bit like LOVE, but so much more would actually be going on, and there could be an actual plot.  Its amazing how much more you could do with that premise as soon as you add another person to be on the spaceship with the guy who doesn't want to leave space.

In theory, Asthenia could work as a movie, but you gotta have more than one character up there in space.  If the story was, one person is so taken in by outer space that they aren't sure they even want to return to earth, while the captain is ready to bring the ship back to earth, and the conflict that could arise from that, you could have a pretty cool movie.  The one that wants to stay in space could be trying to kill the other, and if the spaceship is big enough, it could be a cool thriller even, but to limit yourself with one character and take Asthenia as the basis for the movie, you essentially end up with the Love movie (with none of the weird call backs to civil war and shit), and that would not work.

Do you mean Interstellar?