blink-182 Quits Tom Delonge

Ghent

I don't think a lot of you guys understand the legalities of the situation. The "Blink 182" name can not continue on without Tom. Nor can they ever play blink 182 songs live (A) without his permission (B) without paying royalties to him each time a song is play. I suppose he could agree to let them continue with the name but they would have to pay Tom 1/3 of everything they make at every show. Period. He is a 1/3 the owner of the business. That is how things work fellas unless.....they buy him out which would cost millions!! All of you rooting for him to be out just might find you will never hear another blink song live again. You might wana re-thing those emotional first reactions and hope they work this out....

I don't think a lot of you guys understand the legalities of the situation. The "Blink 182" name can not continue on without Tom. Nor can they ever play blink 182 songs live (A) without his permission ( B) without paying royalties to him each time a song is play. I suppose he could agree to let them continue with the name but they would have to pay Tom 1/3 of everything they make at every show. Period. He is a 1/3 the owner of the business. That is how things work fellas unless.....they buy him out which would cost millions!! All of you rooting for him to be out just might find you will never hear another blink song live again. You might wana re-thing those emotional first reactions and hope they work this out....

That's why they're being rebranded as blink-182 with matt skiba. It's the same thing as sublime with rome.

• Like 1

I don't think a lot of you guys understand the legalities of the situation. The "Blink 182" name can not continue on without Tom. Nor can they ever play blink 182 songs live (A) without his permission ( B) without paying royalties to him each time a song is play. I suppose he could agree to let them continue with the name but they would have to pay Tom 1/3 of everything they make at every show. Period. He is a 1/3 the owner of the business. That is how things work fellas unless.....they buy him out which would cost millions!! All of you rooting for him to be out just might find you will never hear another blink song live again. You might wana re-thing those emotional first reactions and hope they work this out....

That didn't stop them from doing so live with +44.  Whatever the legalities are, I have no doubt that at the very least, Mark, Travis, and whoever they end up with will be able to ultimately  play the blink catalog live, even if they have to settle out of court and pay Tom a ton of money just to do so (which I'm pretty sure it can't come to, but even if it did I think they'd make it work out), now whether they can use blink or a related name remains to be unseen, but I'm sure they're going to try their best to keep as much of it as they can.

And no, I can't hope they work this out, Tom doesn't care about this band and hasn't for a long time, he's holding the band back, not giving it nearly the attention it deserves, nor putting in much effort at that.  It is for the best that Tom leaves this band, I absolutely believe that.

I think Tom would be fine with getting royalties, his money machine would still pay him without actually having to pretend to care