With 5 and a half albums of crap, lets pull out a single decent album of Angels and Airwaves songs

M!ke

I've never been one to say that all Angels and Airwaves music is terrible.  In fact I've always been honest about the fact that there are some fantastic songs this band has released.  The problem is and always has been that these songs are few and far between.  Most music I think most of you would agree is boring, bland filler.  But what really sucks is when what could be a great song is ruined by a "yo oh oh" or by just a truly awful lyric.  I'll be honest, I think Good Day is an awesome song, or at least I would if Tom didn't ruin it with 2 god awful lines in the chorus: "I Think I like today, I think it's good"  Why Tom, Why?  That song has such great verses and even the end of the chorus is pretty great "its something I can't get my head around"  but he just ruins it with 2 awful lines with no thought put behind them.

Anyway, I'm getting off track here.  I'm sure we've had threads like this in the past, but I don't think we have since The Dreamwalker album, and now with Dreamwalker there may truly be a solid album's worth of good Angels and Airwaves material.  I find it so bizarre that Tom puts out one release with Box Car Racer, and that whole album front to back (with exception perhaps to My First Punk Song, which while not bad, really breaks the flow of the album) is just fantastic.  So lets all give what we think would make a solid Angels and Airwaves album out of all the work they've released.  And keep in mind, while I'm no fan of the "yo oh ohs" Tom does in this band, if the song is good enough overall, it will still get listed in spite of having such nonsense (a song like The Adventure or Rite Of Spring will definitely get included then)  Tracklist is what I believe would sound the best order wise.

1. Call To Arms

2. Epic Holiday

3. It Hurts

4. Sirens

5. The Wolfpack

6. The Adventure

7. Saturday Love

8. A Little's Enough

9. Rite of Spring

10. Start the Machine

11. Anomaly

12. Heaven

^That about does it for me, those are the songs that he's released that I genuinely love from start to finish, he has a few other songs that are meh and I don't hate (primarily from WDNTW and I-Empire), but most others are just boring or bad.  But if he released a 12 track album of those songs, well I'm not gonna lie, I'd probably love that album.

• Like 3

1. Valkyrie Missile

2. Do It For Me Now

3. Everything's Magic

4. Teenagers and Rituals

5. Good Day

6. Moon As My Witness

7. Star of Bethlehem/True Love

8. Shove

9. Call to Arms

10. Kiss With a Spell

11. Anomaly

12. Start the Machine

I enjoy We Don't Need To Whisper and I-Empire as they are, but I've stopped listening to the last 3 albums pretty much.

I overplayed The Adventure so much when I first found out about AVA in 2008 or something, like hundreds of times. I can barely listen to it now. When I first saw the video I was like wtf happened to Tom Delonge, and didn't listen to the song for another 6 months after then I got hooked on the band

• Like 2

No I'm sorry, those lines are terrible.  I've tried so hard to like the song Good Day for nearly 10 years now, but no matter how hard I try, those lyrics are just awful, they stop the song dead and make you cringe everytime you hear them.  He easily could have come up with better lyrics if he had taken just a little more time in the writing process, but he got something that worked with the tune and just went with it without really thinking it through.

• Like 3

"I Think I like today, I think it's good"

At the surface, the line seems really dumb.  But beneath it, it has a youthful outlook on how simple it is to say that you had a good day.  "Like" and "good" are really all it takes to get the point across. Just imagine tweeting "I think I like today", and people will either think you're dumb and childish, or they will think, "Hey you know what, it's been awhile since I've looked at everything and taken a moment to appreciate a day like this.  I like today also."  It's hard to explain the feeling behind the line, but it's very clever how it ended up working that way.

When you take a runny dump you see Picasso paintings, don't you?

• Like 1

"I Think I like today, I think it's good"

At the surface, the line seems really dumb.  But beneath it, it has a youthful outlook on how simple it is to say that you had a good day.  "Like" and "good" are really all it takes to get the point across. Just imagine tweeting "I think I like today", and people will either think you're dumb and childish, or they will think, "Hey you know what, it's been awhile since I've looked at everything and taken a moment to appreciate a day like this.  I like today also."  It's hard to explain the feeling behind the line, but it's very clever how it ended up working that way.

Anyways, I personally think I-Empire is pure gold, but there are songs off of other records that could contribute to a better album. 

In order of album:

Valkyrie Missile

The Adventure

The Gift

The War

Call to Arms

Lifeline

Sirens

True Love

Everything's Magic

Epic Holiday

Tunnels

Tremors

If every Angels & Airwaves album was as good as an album like this, then they would be as big as Tom dreamed.

I still don't think so, because if you want to be a stadium size band, your live act got to be awesome (ie the thing that draws people in).

Look at every stadium rock band, and then look at their live performances.

It could easily be the worst lyric I've ever heard. I've thought that since the moment I heard it.

I do like the line "Its something I can't get my head around"  That's a solid line if you ask me.  and the verses are fantastic.  But seriously, "I think I like today, I think its good" is so fucking awful, its cringe, and it sounds like something an 8 year old would write, but even the 8 year old would scribble it out and say they could come up with something better.  I for the life of me do not understand why Tom went with those lyrics, it sounds so unnatural and juvenile and it's just a failure of a line.

• Like 1

I think it's suppose to be juvenile.  It's suppose to make it be something that we all can just lay down at the end of the day and relate to with ease.  People usually never say things like "I didn't like today" or "Today is good" etc. Although "today" can be used a noun, people tend to forget and they take the day for granted.  Get to the point where you can be happy, and at the end of a good day just say "I think I liked Today.  I think Today was good."  You don't have to be a kid to say that you liked today.

Not saying you can't have juvenile lyrics, but in the context of that song where Tom has much more significant insightful thoughts, the lyrics of the first half of the chorus stick out like a sore thumb in a very bad way.  Whether they're supposed to be juvenile or not, doesn't make a difference, they simply don't work in that song at all.  They just sound awful and so cringe.

Ohh if we are talking about a set list for a concert, that is an ENTIRELY different ballgame. For example, Good Day with that super grand outro from the 2006 North American Tour would have been in the set list. I made a set list purely for an album

That's not what I meant bro, I meant that Tom simply isn't a good enough frontman for a stadium size rock band. He just doesn't have that charisma to control 50k-60k people. He can't put up a show or entertain a crowd of that size, he doesn't have that in him. All he can do is, Hey here's another song you perverts. That shit is just not gonna fly in front of 60k people. The frontman is such a significant part of the show, you can't underestimate that.

Also, a large part of such a crowd would be adults. Do you really think Tom coud sell his college sophomore messages to grown ass men?? Fuck no. Only teens find ava's music profound or 'revolutionary.'

And then you have the voice... There is no way in hell you can fill stadiums when you sound like a dying monster. It's just a complete turn off and everybody knows it.

Of course the songs need to be good, and have mass appeal also.

But instead of improving his voice, he'd rather sell toys to kids.