The Official, Comprehensive Blink-182 Timeline

boxelder

I don't know if any of you were in a forum of something to gauge the general fan bases feelings, but what were the reactions like when Boxcar got announced? 

I remember general excitement. Also this was a time when blink being "punk" was kind of debated and actually questioned exhaustedly. Some speculated that this was Tom's attempt to be "punk" and stop making commercial music like blink. He was citing bands like Fugazi, Quicksand, Pennywise, etc. Also when it came out a lot of people responded to Tim Armstrong being on it. A lot of gutter punks on the web saw it as a veiled attempt to be "punk" and have cred again. What a time huh?

• Clown 1

I don't remember it being that big of a deal. I hadn't quite joined this message board yet, but I don't remember much online hype. People thought it was good, but no one saw the cracks it was forming in blink's foundation.

• Clown 1

I just remember being in middle school and snapping my arm literally in half and needing this big surgery with pins.  I went to the record store and bought BCR and this weird "tribute to blink-182" CD  with a bunch of random bands covering blink songs. 

I was out of school for like 2 months, listening to that BCR album non-stop.  It was the perfect album for what I was going through.  Maybe all the percocet helped me connect with Tom's writing space, lol. 

Anyways, that "tribute" CD is so horrendous you guys wouldn't believe it.  I might upload it sometime.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clown 1

update: just added TONS of details from 2008-now. it's astonishing how many promises this band made were broken. i was around in 2009/10, but i don't even remember THIS many. go take a look. it's embarrassing how bad they couldn't function during that time. makes me all the more excited for skiba.

• Like 1
  • Clown 1

11/16/2009: Travis gets nostalgic about the Blink tour: "No doubt, it was the best tour of our lives, ever. The most fun I’ve ever had on a Blink tour with Mark and Tom. couldn’t have got through the lowest of lows on that tour without Mark and Tom, so it was a blessing in disguise. … I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else when any of the bad news or the unfortunate things happened this summer. I couldn’t have been in a better place than with two of my best friends."

Ahh man. Reading that bums me out. I do think that first tour was probably before most of the problems started setting in. That time period just seemed too good to be true. I remember I could hardly believe that blink-182 was actually back together. Seeing them that year was like a dream.

• Like 2
  • Clown 1

it is pretty disappointing. when i was going through those articles (and there are more to come) talking blink circa 2009, you get the idea that mark was stoked beyond compare, travis was like hell yeah let's do this, and tom was like, "ha ha... cool..." in fact, people were already talking about their body language at the grammy's and how awkward it looked. it's a real shame they couldn't get it together.

• Like 1
  • Clown 1

Man, Tom comparing himself to Stanley Kubrick is unreal.  It's also bizarre how he always describes his shit as "artistic, arty, etc."  What serious artist would ever describe their art as artistic?  He just comes off as a kid playing dressup.  He's way out of his league on all of this shit.  It's all entry-level amateur stuff. 

It's really like when you are a teenager and you write your first story and you think "holy shit, this has to be the best fucking thing anyone has ever written!" just because you wrote it.  Then you go to college or whatever, and realize there are still massive levels of establishment above you. 

It's like how college freshman always think they are the smartest people and they know everything, and college seniors always think they don't know shit, because they have been thoroughly exposed to professional scholarship and realize they still have a long ways to go. 

• Like 2
  • Clown 1

Man, Tom comparing himself to Stanley Kubrick is unreal.  It's also bizarre how he always describes his shit as "artistic, arty, etc."  What serious artist would ever describe their art as artistic?  He just comes off as a kid playing dressup.  He's way out of his league on all of this shit.  It's all entry-level amateur stuff. 

bingo. it strikes me that he also uses "professionals" around him to somehow legitimize the work he's producing (or helping make, in the case of books/animations). take this quote from 2009:

...a very, very arty, kind of cool way with professionals involved all along the path...

and 2014:

The book is so good. The novel is f–king awesome. It’s a New York Times best-selling author writing it.

but yet, again, 2009:

"I need to apologize. For the past few years I’ve been doing this serious stuff. And then the first song we come out and play, and I come right out and ask people if they masturbate to the ‘Lord of the Rings’ … it was crazy.

• Crab 1