The Official, Comprehensive Blink-182 Timeline

boxelder

Update for the timeline website!

I am currently in the works on updating the timeline website, making sure that everything is correct and that all links work! A few of the links expired unfortunately and I am looking in my archives to upload all the pictures, flyers, ticket stubs, posters that are currently missing on the website!

It takes a TON of time but I'm sure that it's worth it 😃

• Like 2
  • Love 6

On 6/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, FAPLORD said:

Lol, that’s a great cover on that magazine. I wish I could actually read the review though 

First off, holy hell, it's been a while and I have a lot of catching up to do... Secondly, I bought it to scan and archive, I'll send you that once it arrives!

On 7/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, Thibaut182 said:

Update for the timeline website!

I am currently in the works on updating the timeline website, making sure that everything is correct and that all links work! A few of the links expired unfortunately and I am looking in my archives to upload all the pictures, flyers, ticket stubs, posters that are currently missing on the website!

It takes a TON of time but I'm sure that it's worth it 😃

thanks for this thibaut. i'm more or less retired from timeline stuff, and thibaut is doing an incredible job keeping it up, it's a lot of work so be very kind to him. to answer @FAPLORD's questions, i used the pic of tom in front of his house because i thought it was a cool introductory image to the band's beginnings. if thibaut wants to change it he can lol. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Also, @Thibaut182 once I get caught up I’ll look through the timeline and compare to what I have and try to provide images of anything that’s missing. I also need to go through my disks and see what I already have scanned and why still needs scanning. It’ll be one hell of a process haha. I’ve been MIA for a while and super busy so it might not be right away but I’ll try! 

• Love 1

On 5/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, Thibaut182 said:

This photo of my old roomate Brian was used by the punk band Blink-182 on their first cd "Chesire Cat". I lived with Brian and Blink's guitarist, Tom Delonge, in a San Marcos apartment. We put Brian inside a cardboard box with his legs sticking out the back. This shot was done in our dinning room. Brian popped the lenses out of his sunglasses and smeared vaseline on his face to make himself shiny. And of course, he's wearing a wig. Brian currently has this great job testing video games for Bally-Midway.

Interestingly enough this is also mentioned in a letter of "authenticity" [Edit: "Provenance" is probably a more correct term] that Brian sent me when I purchased some stuff from him a few years back.

"The picture on this poster takes me back to the summer of 1994 when I was roommates with Tom DeLonge and Kerry Key (photographer). Blink was in the midst of recording their second album which would eventually be titled Cheshire Cat. But before they settled on that title they were toying with the idea of calling the album "Inbred" or "Gimp" or something along those lines. So we started playing around with crazy ideas for the album cover in our apartment. One of those ideas involved stuffing me into an old box with a t-shirt stretched over the top and slapping on a wig and some old sunglasses minus the lenses. Of course this idea didn't stick for the final cover but was so funny the band decided to use the image for the back of the album and eventually printed them as promotional posters for the cd release party at Soma. And ever since that night I've been carrying around this poster. A bizarre reminder of what I looked like 20 years ago. But an awesome reminder of the great times I had with good friends."

He also mentioned something in some correspondence I had with him (might be lost to the "ages," I'd have to do some digging) that he helped write some of the lyrics for The Family Next Door.

Edited by Kjblink182
  • Love 1

good ol kerry key. when i first began editing the blink wikipedia pages over a decade ago i contacted him to ask to use a lot of his images on the site, since he had digitized most of them and had them up with little fanfare on flickr. i asked to license them under a less restrictive creative commons license for wiki. he was kind and agreed and i’ve seen those images used everywhere, as anyone can use them. they’re incredible early snapshots into the band’s story. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Currently working on a very cool project that uses some archive from the timeline website at the moment, and of course first thing first, the timeline website will instantly get the credit and the recognition it rightfully deserves of course! ❤️

10 minutes ago, Kjblink182 said:

Hey @Thibaut182, I don’t see parts of 1997-1999 in the timeline. Am I looking in the wrong places? It’s only showing like the first half of those years for me.

Yes that's totally normal the text box is getting too large for those years (as there's too much information and content haha).

But I've divided those years into different sub sections but for some reason whenever I click on publish those sections don't show up on the timeline website. Any help would be much appreciated to figure out why they don't show up? Thank you!

But do not worry, those remaining sections are documented on the Wix editor!

• Like 1

ok i've updated the timeline website; @Thibaut182i've fixed 1997-1999 and separated what you had into separate text boxes so we shouldn't run into the problem again -- if you do, simply copy some of the preceding text into the second text box. you can always add another text box if things get too long. a good problem to have!

other random fixes:

• added years and links for 2021 and 2022
  • changed the byline to "archiving all the small things since 2015"
  • updated the "thanks" page to recognize thibaut being the main operator of the timeline
  • minor font/formatting, etc
  • Love 2

i’ve done some more updating to the timeline site the past few days. additions include:

a gallery of images for each page (this was already a thing, but it’s now available on all pages)

rotating logos for the band in the header depending on what year you select

general cleanup all over

• Like 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, boxelder said:

i’ve done some more updating to the timeline site the past few days. additions include:

a gallery of images for each page (this was already a thing, but it’s now available on all pages)

Just as a heads up Tyler! 

There are two pictures on the 1997 section that are actually from 1998 and not 1997 😃 

That Mark picture is from this show

3/28/1998: The band performs at the Summit at Snoqualmie at Snowqualmie Pass, Washington as a part of Board Stiff. 

And that live band picture is from this show :

7/31/1998: The band performs at Timberbowl in Estacada, Oregon as a part of Big Stink ’98.

Also major props to you for all these amazing updates, the website looks super cool!

• Love 1

New addition to the timeline website!

I have the poster but now we have the advert for the compilation soundtrack "The Show"! (massive shout-out to sour_grapes_zine for sharing the advert)!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5i8m9RBSPq/

Also MAJOR UPDATE, I have now added all the remaining posters and flyers that were missing from the website directly from my archives making sure that everything that was missing has been added!

• Like 1

I've just finally identified this motherfucker for once and for all:

1997-04-27 Kelowna, Canada - Mezzaluna Cafe
Other bands: Undermind (a local band from Kelowna) and 98 Mute

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/19970703193111fw_/http://www.bizinc.com/imi/imi2/quad1.html

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVntNP_PtS6/ (Misspelled as Messoulina Cafe)

Pictures from that day: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJgR9cRhpIa/

• Like 1