Tom DeLonge - "New World"

boxelder

114 members have voted

1. 1. Tom's first "solo" song - thoughts?

• 5/5
    • 4/5
    • 3/5
    • 2/5
    • 1/5

It's growing on me. Worth a 4/5 for now.

Seems this song is not only about leaving blink 182 but also for leaving behind the old AVA for the new.

Honestly why can't Mark and Travis record a EP for a month and release it themselves?  Tom may be delusional but at least he's making and releasing music during all of this.

I'll take quality over quantity any day.  Sure Tom gets things done much more quickly and has far more albums that are all his own.  yet the majority of his albums are all meh to garbage.  The only album of his that great through and through is the BCR album.  With Mark while he only has one album all his own, it is fantastic, I'd take the +44 album over any one of the AAA albums.  So percentage wise, Mark has the better track record.  Tom continues to tarnish his name and legacy by rushing out releases and not putting enough time and effort into each release.

I'd love to see Tom release an AAA album that he actually took a long time to work on, refining the lyrics, throwing out bad ideas and making sure he only settles on good ideas.  If he did, he could have had 2 to 3 fantastic AAA albums out right now instead of 5 and a half albums of trash with a few gems here and there.

So yeah, while Tom may have gotten a new album done real quick, if the rest of the songs are going to be the same level of quality as this release, then who is even going to care?  I'm not going to be inclined to put on an a full album of songs like this.  This track is the filler plain and simple, not terrible, but nothing memorable worth revisiting.  So in that respect, I'd much rather see Mark, Travis and hopefully Skiba take their time on an album to ensure they have a good release and don't just get material out for the sake of getting material out, while in turn hurting the blink-182 name.  If blink had 3 more albums out right now, but they were essentially both Love albums and Dream Walker, I think it would be safe to say that I'd no longer be a blink fan at that point.

Dude, Mike, you keep typing AAA and It just keeps making me think AlcAnom. Why are you trying to make AAA happen? What's wrong with AVA?

As for the song I have given it a 3 and pretty much agree with the general consensus. The "demo" part of the song is the repetitive bassline me thinks but who knows...plus Tom seems to have given in to the slurring-effect which fucking sucks, the guy needs vocal lessons bad. Overall it's just lacking.

Dude, Mike, you keep typing AAA and It just keeps making me think AlcAnom. Why are you trying to make AAA happen? What's wrong with AVA?

As for the song I have given it a 3 and pretty much agree with the general consensus. The "demo" part of the song is the repetitive bassline me thinks but who knows. Overall it's just lacking.

You must have missed my post about a month or so ago.  I said I was sick of calling it AVA just because Tom dictated thats what we should call it.  Angels and Airwaves is three As, even if the middle A is meant to be inverted as he says (which by the way is bull as I've never seen it spelled out on anything as Angels Vnd Airwaves), a V is not an inverted A, it still needs a line through it.  So I said I'm sick of that bullshit and will instead be permanently stylizing it as it always should have been, to me, stylizing it as AVA is just feeding all the more into Tom's drivel, helping his already inflated ego.  He may never see my posts, but I just wanted to make a stance and make it clear that I'm not buying any of his bullshit anymore.

People really need to realize that everyone has their own opinion. Kevin's post is a joke. If you like the song great thats fine, if you hate it thats also fine. Dont try and make people feel like shit or rip out catty remarks if people have differing opinions to you. This is half the reason we dont have that many new users. We might have got 5 new users then we get posts like some of the above and what we have previously and it goes a long way to putting people off this place. With communities such as reddit gaining a big chunk of the former message board lifestyle I think it is very negative for this forum to post that way.

I think the song is ok. I was hoping id dislike it as Tom has been soured for me atm. If you hate it thats fine, im happy to hear why. If you love it sure but don't take shots at people for being on any side of it.

I don't care. at all. people can like whatever they want and I can think their taste is shit if I want.

• Like 1

Its just all comes down to personal taste.  If its not your thing then thats cool, but to say people have shit taste in music if they like it is pretty douchey (Kevin)

Mike you always hype up +44 so much and then you refer to this as filler and most of AVAs music crap.  I would say most of that +44 album is filler.  Aside from 3 or 4 songs that I like, the rest is boring to me.  I quite like most of AVAs music though.  Just different strokes for different folks as they say.  I do think some people cant look past their hate of Tom though and listen to this song objectively, and i dont mean you have to like it

• Like 1

Its just all comes down to personal taste.  If its not your thing then thats cool, but to say people have shit taste in music if they like it is pretty douchey (Kevin)

Mike you always hype up +44 so much and then you refer to this as filler and most of AVAs music crap.  I would say most of that +44 album is filler.  Aside from 3 or 4 songs that I like, the rest is boring to me.  I quite like most of AVAs music though.  Just different strokes for different folks as they say.  I do think some people cant look past their hate of Tom though and listen to this song objectively, and i dont mean you have to like it

To each their own, but I for the life of me don't see how you could feel that way.  I think it stands to reason that if you're the type of person that loved the untitled blink album and the BCR album, then in general, you're going to be much more likely to hold the +44 album in much higher regard than the AAA albums (that isn't to say there aren't outliers to that thought of course).  

I am being objective here, as I've said this song isn't terrible, but I just don't find it anything special.  But as I pointed out, I remember when The Adventure leaked, even though I'm not much of an AAA fan, I can't deny how fun and exciting it was when that track dropped. That track was so fun, unique, fresh and catchy, I listened to it non stop for WEEKS.  I Don't even get a glimmer of that feeling listening to this. 

I kinda actually like the video despite the song. Really does make me think the lyrics are related to blink.

Thats what i think.

I bet he could sell that guitar to some Tombot for a couple grand and make a buck.  Also I like how he makes the song only available to people who preordered the bundle, then releases on youtube for anyone to listen to

• Like 1