Family Guy Sucks Now

Freestyleskater182

I guess a more appropriate name for this topic would be (Family Guy Sucks Now and has Sucked for Years)

After noticing some other Family Guy fans in the blink 182 general discussion topic and the issue of Family Guy going downhill coming up

I decided to share my rant video to see if people agree.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24LOqTOENI

I totally agree with what your saying because I grew up on the boxsets 1-4 at college.

Basically that's all we watched! But now it feels like a chore to even watch it... I haven't seen this season yet and can't even remember last seasons episode s lol they are so forgettable!.

They seem like there is a very weak plot and they fill them with pop culture cut aways to mask over the poor quality.

I much prefer American dad! These days, so much funnier.

Its actually been years since I have seen seasons 1-4 actually because they barely get shown on TV I find I might have to download them today lol

Its funny, cuz you yourself made this very same topic years ago:

http://blink-182online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39177-any-else-agree-that-family-guy/

I still agree with what I said back then: 

Yeah, American Dad is actually great, and Family Guy has sucked ever since being uncancelled.  This is no coincidence, most the original writers of Family Guy from before it was cancelled went on to write for American Dad as that show was greenlit before Family Guy was renewed.  So Family Guy's writers were replaced, and then bam, you can see how and why American Dad has been a very solid and quite hilarious show, and Family Guy started sucking it up big time, god they got to a point where every episode would have at least 15 to 20 "Remember that time..." jokes, and there was next to no plot.  now, honestly in the more recent episodes, they've cut way back on the manatee jokes, I think they've even realized that they were starting to suck big time.  Still its not the same show it was in its first three seasons, and frankly I can't stand much of it anymore. 

• Like 1

Its funny, cuz you yourself made this very same topic years ago:

http://blink-182online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39177-any-else-agree-that-family-guy/

I still agree with what I said back then: 

Yeah, American Dad is actually great, and Family Guy has sucked ever since being uncancelled.  This is no coincidence, most the original writers of Family Guy from before it was cancelled went on to write for American Dad as that show was greenlit before Family Guy was renewed.  So Family Guy's writers were replaced, and then bam, you can see how and why American Dad has been a very solid and quite hilarious show, and Family Guy started sucking it up big time, god they got to a point where every episode would have at least 15 to 20 "Remember that time..." jokes, and there was next to no plot.  now, honestly in the more recent episodes, they've cut way back on the manatee jokes, I think they've even realized that they were starting to suck big time.  Still its not the same show it was in its first three seasons, and frankly I can't stand much of it anymore. 

Oh holy crap, I totally forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except I am pretty sure that they actually kept at least a good chunk of their writers on family guy from the old episodes.

I think the main thing that actually fucked the series over (which also fits with what you said) was Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman moving to american dad.

I think Seth saw their potential as show runners and saw how good they did on family guy so he chose them for american dad without maybe realizing family guy was coming back, but yeah I am sure some other writers switched over also...but I do know that family guy did keep a lot of the old writers and directors.

Such as...

Peter Shin

Chris Sharidan

Danny Smith

Mike Henry and Alex Bernstein (who also voice Lois and Joe)

Mark Hentemann  

i've never really liked family guy. even in what people consider the show's best seasons (pre-cancellation), the writing is still far from great. it doesn't as heavily rely on cutaways as it did circa 2005, and it hasn't just completely bastardized its characters (making stewie gay, brian a one-note liberal mouthpiece, meg the butt of jokes, and lois a sex hound), so it's better in comparison. i understand the show has its fans, but it was never for me. in fact, i preferred the post-cancellation episodes weirdly enough, because they were laugh-out-loud funny to me. somewhere between s4-6. also, it really developed into an animation style that, while ridiculously stodgy and uninteresting, actually fits the show's style (i'm talking the remain-at-one-angle-for-five-minutes directorial style, ones that are sadly copied by today's adult animated shows, like bojack horseman). 

that being said, though, the reliance on cutaways is weak. i more or less agreed with south park's trey parker and matt stone, that the reliance on cheap gags was lazy and undermines character development and ACTUAL story-based jokes. it IS a style, though, so i don't hate the show. i've certainly got a few favorite moments in mind - particularly the abstitence youth pastor connecting with the high schoolers (the "jefferson high" thing).

out of seth macfarlane's canon, i've got to say the most promising thing with his name on it was american dad, which is funny because, to my understanding, he had MUCH less to do with it. i flat-out love american dad from about 2007 to 2010.

Roger from American dad could have his own bloody show he's that hilarious! And south park! That is how you make a funny cartoon! I don't get the hate on that show people always go back to the first 2 seasons and say that's shit, not even watching it today..I'd say from series 3 onwards that show transformed to pure quality gold! Well from that Scott tennorman must die episode it got on track for me.

• Like 1

I've actually never given American Dad a chance. Is it worth watching?

oh yeah. skip the first two seasons, i say, but it's definitely worth watching once it settles into a groove. it's definitely one of the strong adult animated shows out there, even now.

Roger from American dad could have his own bloody show he's that hilarious! And south park! That is how you make a funny cartoon! I don't get the hate on that show people always go back to the first 2 seasons and say that's shit, not even watching it today..I'd say from series 3 onwards that show transformed to pure quality gold! Well from that Scott tennorman must die episode it got on track for me.

I love the early seasons of South Park.  And then I really loved season 3 through about season 9.  Since season 10 though the show has really been in a steady decline in terms of quality.  Its very hit or miss, and lately its been way more miss than hit.  This last season was really bad especially the final episodes with Pewdiepie, that was just terrible. 

oh yeah. skip the first two seasons, i say, but it's definitely worth watching once it settles into a groove. it's definitely one of the strong adult animated shows out there, even now.

It really is, I shit on Seth MacFarlane a lot, but if there's ever been one thing he has done that has just been fantastic through and through, its American Dad.

Omg I forgot that pewdiepie shite double header finale I never heard of pewdiepie so I can see where south park is coming from with how the this generation of sheep's like this random crap but it kinda seemed like they thought they would get better ratings with a so called internet sensation they were trying to take the piss out of...there was some pretty good episodes in that season tho..gluten go fund yourself and cissy were cool ...but if you go through south park episodes, the best ones are the ones when they are original and don't use weekly pop culture and events as cheap story plots...like imagination land... That one he's a robot with butters ..well I don't need to list you know the gems and my point ;)

I love the early seasons of South Park.  And then I really loved season 3 through about season 9.  Since season 10 though the show has really been in a steady decline in terms of quality.  Its very hit or miss, and lately its been way more miss than hit.  This last season was really bad especially the final episodes with Pewdiepie, that was just terrible. 

i'm a huge fan of s5-7 of south park. they really focused on the characters a lot, made some really great episodes. i dislike early seasons because it always felt like shock value stuff, which is fine, but isn't my cup of tea (that being said, s1-4 has some strong episodes). and s5-7 is before they got super into parodying current events, which has pretty much been the death of the show. i still watch, because i love the show and there's still quite a few entertaining shows per season - but it isn't what it was. part of that's the production process they use, which, while fascinating, creates a really slapped-together, rushed product. like the pewdiepie episode. aside from having the worst guest star ever (something south park doesn't do), it tried to string along like six current events topics and wound up almost unresolved. they even openly admit at the end, like, "what just happened?" it's a shame, but whatever.

i'll admit, though, the focus on randy since s10 or so has been HILARIOUS. probably my favorite character on the show.

South Park to me has been great to amazing from season 1-12. It was only around they time they started doing The Book Of Mormon that it started to get slapped together or just lazy. I'm glad it's still on cause we do get the occasional good episode, but I really miss the show's glory days when it was biting satire and still funny. Even the earlier episodes I still find hilarious despite them being mostly shock value mixed with Matt and Trey humor.