POLL: Who Wrote Better Songs? (Based on Eras)

radioactive tomdog

Who Wrote Better Songs?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Cheshire Cat / Dude Ranch Era

• Mark
    • Tom
    • Equal
  2. 2. Enema of the State / TOYPAJ Era

• Mark
    • Tom
    • Equal
  3. 3. Untitled / Post-Reunion Era

• Mark
    • Tom
    • Equal

POLL:

All current Tom-hate aside, based on eras (the poll wouldn't let me add an option for each album), who do you think the better songwriter was? Consider both instrumentation and lyrics.

Personally, at this current point in my life, i think Mark was the better song writer all the way through TOYPAJ. both of them were about equal for Untitled, there were just fewer Mark songs. I don't even really feel the need to comment on Post-Reunion songs because I hardly liked any of them.

I stated this in the general discussion topic, but I really do think Mark has always been a more mature writer. As a kid, when i first started listening to blink, i didn't really care what they were singing about. Tom's songs were more fun because they were humorous and i loved his nasally raspy voice; however, for the most part, he was singing about absolutely nothing. Mark had his throw away songs as well, but even as early as Cheshire, he was singing about actual relationships. i think the fact that he wrote a song like "Cacophony" in 1994 says a lot. i understand that blink-182 has never been about "serious" musicianship and lyrical content, but i'm talking about songs that have actual lasting value here. 

Thoughts/Opinions?

I think Mark from Dude Ranch - TOYPAJ wrote better lyrics. Tom wrote better lyrics pre-Dude Ranch, and post-TOYPAJ. However, Tom and Travis carried the band instrumentally; without Tom's lead riffs, you end up with a bunch of shitty songs like MH 4.18.2011. When Mark's most impressive guitar work is Don't Leave Me, you know you have an issue with him recording guitar riffs. 

Cheshire Cat / Dude Ranch era: Tom

Favorites: Carousel, Wasting Time, Touchdown Boy

Enema/TOYPAJ era: Equal
Favorites: Shut Up, Online Songs, Dumpweed, Dysentery Gary

Untitled-Currently: Tom

Favorites: basically everything he did on Untitled, Snake Charmer, Even If She Falls, Disaster, Pretty Little Girl

Mark has probably always been the more mature writer; however, I don't necessarily think that "more mature" automatically means better. I always thought they both had their fair share of great songs over the years. From Untitled and onward though, Tom kind of took over, so I'm not sure how well Mark's work can even really be judged. With that said, I really disliked two of Mark's few songs on Neighborhoods (MH and Fighting the Gravity), so I have to give Tom the edge for that era.

Tom- pre enema

Mark- enema/toypaj

Tom- untitled/neighborhoods

Though in the case of Neighborhoods it's not fair because Tom didn't record the guitar for Mark, and he is the fucking guitarist. Mark's songs may have been better with the assistance of a guitarist lol. (what a joke)

I think Mark wrote more guitar riffs than people realize. he plays very differently than Tom and its more obvious who wrote which songs now. Mark totally wrote the riffs for "A New Hope," "Dammit," "Wendy Clear," "Here's Your Letter," etc.

Forgot about Dammit, that's easily his best one. Anytime I hear an intro with generic power chords, I think it's Mark. It's become more painfully obvious in their newer stuff, like Dogs Eating Dogs and Kaleidoscope. 

To me, Mark wrote the best and worst songs on Untitled. Here's your Letter took a bit to grow on me but eventually it just clicked, the bridge just takes the cake. Go on the other hand was shit and is still shit.

The bridge of that song is one of my favorite moments in blink's entire discography. I also disliked that song at first, but I love it now.

• Like 1

The bridge of that song is one of my favorite moments in blink's entire discography. I also disliked that song at first, but I love it now.

that bridge is just amazing.  Love how full and thick the guitar sounds in it

• Like 2

Easily Mark's songs for me. Cacophony, Waggy, Apple Shampoo, Lemmings, Going Away To College, Emo, Roller Coaster, Every Time I Look For You, Shut Up, Fighting The Gravity, Adam's Song, A New Hope, Josie, Sometimes, A Girl Next Door (it's a cover but whatever), Wasting Time, M&Ms, Stockholm Syndrome, Here's Your Letter, I Won't Be Home For Christmas, Wendy Clear, Life's So Boring demo, Man Overboard, Go..HAG & MH5840824 even..