2001 space odessy

prankerd14

Yeh I'm pretty late in watching this film so get those comments out the way!

Got to say amazing film for its time! But what the fuck is the ending about?? I thought typicical computer vs human type situation... Then the last 20 mins turn into a mind fuck!

Someone explain if it is explainable what the ending is supposed to mean.

Thanks ;)

Ha good for you for finally watching it!  :smile:

One analysis says that the monolith represents the thing that advances human civilization.

So at the end when the old man is on his death bed (representing the end of human life on earth?) and reaching out for the monolith, it simply represents the next step of human evolution. This will take place not on earth, but on another planet somewhere in the universe.

This is shown more explicitly in the next shot when you see a foetus floating in space. This is a commonly accepted interpretation of the ending.

Lets listen to the creepy score again!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha6iydrIxSc

Also, I just thought of this, the song plays every time the monolith is shown on screen.

From the Lux Aeterna (Ligeti) wikipedia:

The text (in Latin) is from the Roman Catholic Requiem Mass: Lux aeterna luceat eis, Domine, cum sanctis tuis in aeternum, quia pius es. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine; et lux perpetua luceat eis, which means "May everlasting light shine upon them, O Lord, with thy saints in eternity, for thou art merciful. Grant them eternal rest, O Lord, and may everlasting light shine upon them."

Do you feel what im getting at.

Ha good for you for finally watching it! :smile:

One analysis says that the monolith represents the thing that advances human civilization.

So at the end when the old man is on his death bed (representing the end of human life on earth?) and reaching out for the monolith, it simply represents the next step of human evolution. This will take place not on earth, but on another planet somewhere in the universe.

This is shown more explicitly in the next shot when you see a foetus floating in space. This is a commonly accepted interpretation of the ending.

Lets listen to the creepy score again!

Yeh I get you ...and that sound is so creepy lol sure I have seen it off a horror too somewhere like sinister is kind of similar