Predictions: What will happen with Blink 182 over the next 5 years?

Champ182

they'll take up a 5 year residency in Las Vegas (maybe the MGM Grand) playing a greatest hits set 5 nights a week (+ 1 matinee show), switching in different Tom replacements every few months.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't know about 5 years time, but maybe an album with Matt early next year and touring for most of 2016. Maybe a few TV appearances if the singles are successful enough.

Then maybe just a few festival shows in late 2016 to early 2017. Then I think they'll probably have a break for a bit, Travis might do some solo album stuff or Transplants and Matt will do AK3 or Sekrets. AK3 will do some big tours due to Matts involvement with blink. I'm not sure what Mark would do, hopefully he works on a solo album or +44 for a late 2017/ early 2018 release.

Then from 2018- I think the success of the new blink album with Matt would determine how they decide to go forward with the band

Tom will just focus on Poet Anderson/ To the Stars projects which won't really get huge, but might develop a cult following at most if it is interesting enough?

He already has a cult. No one else will care.

• 3 years later...

heyyy i wasn’t far off haha.

at this point i see pretty much as i saw it then. cali was certainly way more successful than i anticipated. but i think they’ll put out this next record, probably recorded with a coterie of modern and hitmaking songwriters, and it’ll do just fine. there’ll be a radio-ready hit for the first single, and one that could have potential crossover potential. if that happens, then blink will get bigger and matt’s role in the band might be more solidified. if not, it’ll do decent numbers and they’ll tour and that’s it.

they may record another album. i’m not sure, it depends on the reception of this one. but if they do or don’t, i could still see tom rejoining in the next five years, maybe in 2024, for a 25th anniversary of EOTS tour

• Like 2

with their latest album, they’ll become a straight up pop band instead of a pop punk band—similar to the other bands in their genre (FOB etc)—and people will be mad and never move on. blink won’t care and will be happy because first and foremost they’ve always wanted to make popular music.

the album will do decently but not amazing for a band of their size and stature because music made by bands (as opposed to singers or rappers) is not on the upswing this decade.

tom won’t rejoin, and if he does, whatever project they’ll plan to do will have a billion delays and then essentially put the band on hiatus.

• Like 6

On 5/2/2015 at 1:01 PM, Rickay said:

they'll take up a 5 year residency in Las Vegas (maybe the MGM Grand) playing a greatest hits set 5 nights a week (+ 1 matinee show), switching in different Tom replacements every few months.

:o

18 hours ago, Nasa said:

with their latest album, they’ll become a straight up pop band instead of a pop punk band—similar to the other bands in their genre (FOB etc)—and people will be mad and never move on. blink won’t care and will be happy because first and foremost they’ve always wanted to make popular music.

the album will do decently but not amazing for a band of their size and stature because music made by bands (as opposed to singers or rappers) is not on the upswing this decade.

tom won’t rejoin, and if he does, whatever project they’ll plan to do will have a billion delays and then essentially put the band on hiatus.

Yeah, basically.

• 2 years later...
On 5/2/2015 at 12:01 PM, Rickay said:

Close! Haha.

Next 5 years? It’s a bit of a cop out but I think a lot of questions are up in the air right now and we’ll know a lot more about the medium / long term future of the band by the end of this year. Is Tom coming back, is Skiba hear to stay etc 

Shocked I didn't make one initially, I was here.

In the next five years I see one of two futures.

1. Tom is back, Matt bows out, they maybe make one more album or two short EPs, tour a little. They dial blink down a lot to evenly spread their time between their other projects. 

2. Blink stops completely. After dealing with his cancer, Mark doesn't feel up to restarting the blink machine and decides maybe it's time to early retire that life. He may start producing more, or just focus on his family and his hobbies. Travis continues down his "turn every pop act into a watered down manufactured pop punk cash cow" trajectory and makes billions, Tom continues being a space loon but is still friends with the guys, Matt goes back to Alk3 full time. 

Either way, my prediction is we don't get much or any new blink and the guys admit their old AF and can't go back to huge tours and churning out regular music. 

• Like 1

my projections are still the same. we’re more or less following the same path i predicted: after two albums, we’re at a point where most fans are ready for a tom comeback and all the talk has suggested it’s not impossible. realistically i think it’s still the best bet: tom will be back in the next year or two, and they’ll go on a big greatest hits tour, maybe a co-headlining gig with sum 41 or FOB or something. they may or may not record music. blink will be inducted into the RRHOF before 2025.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2015 at 8:38 AM, theHELL182 said:

Two new albums, excessive touring in U.S. and maybe Europe. After 2020 they call it quits or just tour every few years for a few shows and Tom may join them for a few shows for the final three songs. But I don't see them making albums and touring beyond 2020. Mark will end up as a full time producer and Travis wants to make Jazz music and Matt does whatever he wants.

This was weirdly close to being true lol. They’ve basically called it quits since 2020

2023-2028 Blink Gets inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. The 2 songs they'll play are Dammit (With Scott on Drums), and I Miss You, With Matt Doubling on Guitar for both. Idk who'll induct them though.

Sometime after that, Blink will do a One-off Show, reuniting the Original line-up with Scott, maybe under a different name. They'll only play songs from Chesire Cat and Dude Ranch, Maybe throw in some Curve-balls in there too from Buddha and Uranus or somthing else. And it'll be at either SOMA (more Likely of the 2), or The Hollywood Palladium.