daveyjones

i'm daveyjones, Ask Me Anything.

Can't see how anyone can find Travis style boring? then say they enjoyed Scotts style, I would LOVE to hear what he would have done with Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch.

Don't get me wrong, I love those albums but as I've grown older I've come to hate the drumming more and more, same three beats throughout the whole fucking thing and about the same amount of drum fills. 

i didn't feel the song writing was particularly strong. the production was overwrought. the experimentation was lame. too many ballads, not enough fast songs. repetition of the same progressions and arrangements that defined all their earlier work. in short, they were out of ideas. plus it came out at a time when i had been over blink for more than four years.

i like the song violence. that said i think the +44 album is a much stronger effort overall. i listen to that album all the time.

BOOM

sorry I can't use the quote function on this browser...   with regards to travis' drumming:

he's extremely talented and a top performer. and that's the problem. lawrence olivier once said "an actor should never show an audience their top." the reason being is that once you show the audience your top, the best you can do, there's nowhere left to go. that's why I say he's boring. it's 110% all the time. there are no dynamics. he never "lets up." in addition, he's not particularly passionate. his playing is robotic...he's a machine. it's like listening to a drum computer. I also think he's uninterested in the music that tom and mark have written. so he adds in all these annoying fills and bit parts that are frankly, a distraction. mark and tom are simpletons and have always written plain and straightforward music. the drumming should match. which is why scott raynor was a better match for them, imo.

I'd take brooks wackerman over travis barker any day. he's the best live drummer in punk.

jacket is a better "blink" album than self-titled, imo.

what makes self-titled so unlistenable is not so much the song writing, which is okay for the faster numbers, but the production. sitting around in a home studio for the better part of a year trying to come up with different guitar tones and shouting vocals through a telephone in the next room and then running the signal through an AM radio does not amount to greater "creativity." it just detracted from the direct approach of the songs. good blink is straightforward. self-tiled is so over-labored that it just reveals the flaws in the music.

btw, I listened to the album on the way to work this morning for the first time in four or five years as a result of this thread:

feeling this - not as bad as I thought it was when the album came out. it's the same old blink chorus, but whatever.

violence - pretty good, especially the instrumental parts.

Stockholm syndrome - I actually like this song. but as per usual the production ruins it.

go - ditto.

easy target - vocal kind of suck, but an interesting track.

always - paint by numbers blink. same old chords, same old progressions, same old keys.

not now - probably the strongest track on the album. too bad they left it off the regular edition.

• Like 1

sorry I can't use the quote function on this browser...   with regards to travis' drumming:

he's extremely talented and a top performer. and that's the problem. lawrence olivier once said "an actor should never show an audience their top." the reason being is that once you show the audience your top, the best you can do, there's nowhere left to go. that's why I say he's boring. it's 110% all the time. there are no dynamics. he never "lets up." in addition, he's not particularly passionate. his playing is robotic...he's a machine. it's like listening to a drum computer. I also think he's uninterested in the music that tom and mark have written. so he adds in all these annoying fills and bit parts that are frankly, a distraction. mark and tom are simpletons and have always written plain and straightforward music. the drumming should match. which is why scott raynor was a better match for them, imo.

I agree with this from top to bottom. Travis just sits and destroys the drum set. No feel, no dynamics, no groove.

Hey, daveyjones, when you were so close to them, were they hiring roadies or counting with friends' help for their touring? Or they just went into a van with their gear and drive?

• Like 1

they got their first van in the summer of 1995. Cam(eron) jones, who once went out with anne hoppus, would often ad hoc roadie for them. anne would sometimes sell merch. Kerry key took photos a lot of the time. I do not believe they had a paid road crew until they signed with MCA, but I could be mistaken. I did not hang out on a formal "tour bus" until sno-core in the early spring of 1998.

When Wackerman filled in for Travis in Australia I didn't feel like it even made a difference tbh. I doubt I'd have even noticed if I was only listening to audio.

what makes self-titled so unlistenable is not so much the song writing, which is okay for the faster numbers, but the production. sitting around in a home studio for the better part of a year trying to come up with different guitar tones and shouting vocals through a telephone in the next room and then running the signal through an AM radio does not amount to greater "creativity." it just detracted from the direct approach of the songs. good blink is straightforward. self-tiled is so over-labored that it just reveals the flaws in the music.

btw, I listened to the album on the way to work this morning for the first time in four or five years as a result of this thread:

feeling this - not as bad as I thought it was when the album came out. it's the same old blink chorus, but whatever.

violence - pretty good, especially the instrumental parts.

Stockholm syndrome - I actually like this song. but as per usual the production ruins it.

go - ditto.

easy target - vocal kind of suck, but an interesting track.

always - paint by numbers blink. same old chords, same old progressions, same old keys.

not now - probably the strongest track on the album. too bad they left it off the regular edition.

You thought feeling this was bad?? I'm sorry but that is one of the best blink songs...

You think Cheshire cat is good song writing and untitled was crap??

You hung out with them fair enough ...but to me it seems like you were just bitter they sold out and couldn't be apart of that following and atmosphere any more ...cus clearly as a fact by record sales and popularity their song writing and albums got better after dude ranch...I know untitled was a big step for them and a lot of people didn't like it at first, but your views on it just baffle me tbh...but hey were all different...

Asthenia or All of This sound way more interesting aesthetically than a song like TV or Does My Breath Smell?.

To me it's like preferring Ramones over Radiohead or Blur. Sure The Ramones are awesome, but come on. Those bands are wayyyyy more interesting on a sonic level.

"so be mediocre as fuck?" that would be overstating the opposite case. I am making the case for greater dynamics.

Travis' creative playing over Scott's solid but limited to me was way more interesting juxtaposition. Like Meg White's simple drumming to Jack White's guitar prowess.

while i disagree, this is a great opinion. difference v. maximalism/minimalism. i feel like the approach employed on self-titled was necessary for them at the time. they couldn't just keep making the same thing over and over. and while you're certainly right about many songs on that record being "paint-by-the-numbers" blink dressed in new clothes, i feel like the songwriting is so much darker in tone and the production much more ethereal that it was a great left turn from them.

• Like 1

music is kind of like food. we can all like or dislike things, and we can sometimes try to describe the reasons why or why not. I have offered my opinion, one of many.

someone said "you thought feeling this was bad??" I did not. it's simply ground that's already been tread. they've already done that chorus many times.

someone said "you think Cheshire cat is good song writing and untitled was crap??" I did not. I said the production was overwrought and thus revealed the weakness (in this case, simplicity) of the material. what makes Cheshire cat more interesting to me, is how unvarnished it is. the approach matches the material.

boxelder, I agree about the darker tone. I would credit that to the box car racer album. tom broke away from straight major pop progressions there, and that shows on self-titled.

I don't want to say an opinion is wrong, but damn that opinion isn't right.

Except for the ballad part, I agree with him to some degree. The ballads is what I like the most about the album! 

I think they would've used the same progressions regardless of the experimentation. Those progressions is what make Blink write great songs, and most bands write great songs.Re-inventing the wheel in music is not only impossible, but pretty dumb. Trying to pretend that there is something more amazing about Self-titled than Dude Ranch is ridiculous though, I think the songwriting on DR is way stronger. 

Untitled was a big step up from TOYPAJ imo.

I agree with this! Though my 11-14 year old self would have hated me for it! TOYPAJ was a big step down from Enema though.

I'd take brooks wackerman over travis barker any day. he's the best live drummer in punk.

1+!

thongrinder, yes. the songwriting on dude ranch is superior to self-titled. but the mix on self-titled is waaaaay better. damn you mark trombino! you even had tom lord-alge help you out. sigh.

• Like 1