daveyjones

i'm daveyjones, Ask Me Anything.

well yankee hotel foxtrot is a terrible album, so that's not a fair analogy.

to clarify (my) opinion:

mark and tom write simple music. simple music sounds better with a direct approach. complex music can (often) sound better with a more nuanced approach. the (unnecessarily) convoluted recording and production of self-titled does the music a disservice, by making the simplicity of it overly obvious.

this is why the ramones sound great on their records. and radiohead (I would assume) sounds great on theirs.

to put it another way, blink's self-titled album sounds like the ramones trying to produce a radiohead album. i.e. shitty.

Karma Police is a pretty simple song. But it's miles better than most of blink's music because of the way they recorded it and got it sounding atmospheric and engaging.

I understand your point but disagree with your outcome. the little extra silly bits on self titled make the ultimately simple songs stand out a little more like all the weird effects and shit on Stockholm really distract from the complete pointlessness going on for half of it. 

As for Travis being too over complicated for Tom and Mark's simplistic song writing I think that's why he works so well in blink. if they didn't have Travis, they wouldn't have evolved and to be honest they probably wouldn't have succeeded as well as they did. Travis is the part that propels them out of the typical pop punk durge. He gives they're repetitive chord progressions some fuckin' life by making up for the intricacies the boys sorely lack. 

Also I fucking love the sound of dude ranch, its one of the reasons that it's my favourite blink album. 

• Like 5

I hate the recording of about half of dude ranch. Dick lips and untitled are horrible on there

I'm not saying you're wrong.

BUT YOU'RE WRONG!

I'm with boxelder here. when dude ranch came out, many fans, including myself, thought it sounded worse than Cheshire cat. and I loved static prevailed! I was like, dude, trombino, WTF? the overall sound was compressed beyond belief in mastering, and yes, the drums suffered some of the worst of it.

kay, your point is certainly valid. but I had already seen blink play live over thirty times or so before travis joined. which means everything he "added" just stuck out to me like lights on a Christmas tree. but I didn't fall in love with a Christmas tree. I fell in love with a bare, simple tree out in the woods.

• Like 2

kay, your point is certainly valid. but I had already seen blink play live over thirty times or so before travis joined. which means everything he "added" just stuck out to me like lights on a Christmas tree. but I didn't fall in love with a Christmas tree. I fell in love with a bare, simple tree out in the woods.

No that makes sense actually, I think thats where taste is just the argument. but I love both sides of blink, I loved them with Scott and with Travis, so I guess thats why I struggle with the either/or argument :P 

• Like 1

I'm not saying you're wrong.

BUT YOU'RE WRONG!

If you think the dude ranch recording is better than the live album recordings for those songs then you're crazy

If you think the dude ranch recording is better than the live album recordings for those songs then you're crazy

I like Pathetic more on MTTS, the others are way better on Dude Ranch.

I guess it's related to the whole punk rock genre history, starting from the bottom, being little dirtbags with instruments who write awesome music. If you sound good, you made money to pay for it, and you had to try to make money. Selling out. I think it's stupid too, I think the Violent Femmes have a good mix of sounding underproduced but being palatable. Really solid tunes as well though.

I'd love a remastered version of Dude Ranch. I wish it were possible for some one to just do it themselves, since the band doesn't want to.

I agree with this, is a good explanation. But I'm not talking about production itself, but about mastering. A production can be fancier, more modern, more layered, whatever, but you can still fuck that album on the mastering process. In other words, you can fuck up the tone and sound by doing the incorrect adjustements to bass, treble and high frequencies on the mastering. Also, there are huge differences between doing it through an analog equipment or doing it throug a digital one. The sound changes a lot in some albums.

If anyone is interested on this, I suggest you to do an interesting session on comparing one same album in its diffferent re-mastered versions with the original one. For example: Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper. Grab different masterings for one of those records and play them on a nice equipment (if you do this from a downloaded source, try it to be lossless; otherwise, the exercise is useless). You'll se enormous differences -which is not necesary a bad thing- and, in some cases, good examples on how to destroy and ruin dynamics and the way an album was supposed to sound.

A proper remastering process of albums as Dude Ranch would be interesting to see. But I'm talking about a re-mastering process which should be done by people like the likes of Steve Hoffman. That album suffers from the "volume war" too, and is pretty brickwalled and compressed -as the 99% of the actual commercial releases-. It shows a heavy lack of dynamics, even if we're talking about punkrock music.

Christmas Tree > Regular Forest Tree

I prefer the beauty of a tree in the wild over a christmas tree anyday :)

well yankee hotel foxtrot is a terrible album, so that's not a fair analogy.

to clarify (my) opinion:

mark and tom write simple music. simple music sounds better with a direct approach. complex music can (often) sound better with a more nuanced approach. the (unnecessarily) convoluted recording and production of self-titled does the music a disservice, by making the simplicity of it overly obvious.

this is why the ramones sound great on their records. and radiohead (I would assume) sounds great on theirs.

to put it another way, blink's self-titled album sounds like the ramones trying to produce a radiohead album. i.e. shitty.

Untitled is, relatively, very complex compared to everything they've done before. So their 'complex' approach is justified. I find no discrepancy here.

theedge00, I'd disagree, if for nothing else than as a musician. the self-titled album (why does everyone call it "untitled" ??) is all barr chords, basic progressions, and tom's lick style is no different than earlier albums. it's old wine in a new bottle. and I think that works against it.