Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

On 11/28/2015, 3:01:01, Who Else But said:

I like the synths when they're done right and not artificial sounding.  We Don't Need to Whisper had some good ones in there.

Did Anthem have synths?  It had something a little extra in there.  Besides the singles from the album, I'd say Anthem is the most polished song on the record.

is that possible?

3 minutes ago, GrimCityGirl said:

There was a whole page talking about whether that was synth or organ, like a page or two back

a synthesizer is simply a keyboard that generates electric signals converted to sound. unless you are playing an actual acoustic piano, like a baby grand, or an analog organ, like a vintage hammond (pre 1975), you are playing a synthesizer (even if it sounds like a grand piano).

the keyboards on dammit certainly do not sound like a vintage hammond. in that case, it's likely a synthesizer.

whether or not something "sounds synth" (i.e. 'fake') or sounds like an organ or sounds like a piano, most likely the instrument used is a synthesizer. just to be clear. if your keyboard uses electric power, it's a synthesizer.

12 hours ago, daveyjones said:

a synthesizer is simply a keyboard that generates electric signals converted to sound. unless you are playing an actual acoustic piano, like a baby grand, or an analog organ, like a vintage hammond (pre 1975), you are playing a synthesizer (even if it sounds like a grand piano).

the keyboards on dammit certainly do not sound like a vintage hammond. in that case, it's likely a synthesizer.

whether or not something "sounds synth" (i.e. 'fake') or sounds like an organ or sounds like a piano, most likely the instrument used is a synthesizer. just to be clear. if your keyboard uses electric power, it's a synthesizer.

Just to be clear, a lot of keyboards are samplers which means pressing the keys just triggers a pre recorded sound.... so no, certainly not every Electric Piano is a synthesizer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Maybe this should have been obvious but I honestly had no idea some other guy played the synths for them.

Yeah, Roger Manning Jr. did synths for Blink. On Neighborhoods I could see Tom coming up with some cheesy synth line/sound (see TD Solo Record) and Roger would vibe off that and use his gear and record a more refined rendition of it.

2 hours ago, Kevin. said:

that guy has played on fucking everything in the music industry. believe it or not, he records for AVA too. 

Not since I-Empire, though.

http://rogerjosephmanningjr.com/credits.html

ANGELS & AIRWAVES I Empire Album Keyboards
ANGELS & AIRWAVES feat. Tom DeLonge We Don't Need To Whisper Album Keyboards

lmao @ the "feat. Tom DeLonge"

I'm surprised he came on for Neighborhoods after Tom kicked him to the curb.