Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

On 1/2/2016 at 0:59 PM, NotNow said:

Four months is a long time to be working on an album when you're actually together lol. Plus mark I'm sure had a bunch of ideas written at various stages and we know Matt had ideas before those four months even started. I think a single in February is very reasonable and they would have the album turned in polished by the last day of March. That's seven months of working together, the album should be done by then.

when all you're doing is recording, yes. but not when you're still writing. i don't think they went in the studio with 10+ finished songs ready to record. writing and finalizing songs before recording them takes time

• Like 1

You don't think it's a long time to write and record an album together in seven months? That's almost as long as they spent on untitled. I'm not saying it will be done by then, but it's perfectly reasonable to think the album could be done by then.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NotNow said:

You don't think it's a long time to write and record an album together in seven months? That's almost as long as they spent on untitled. I'm not saying it will be done by then, but it's perfectly reasonable to think the album could be done by then.

Yeah but with untitled it took them something like 11 months almost to the day and they knew each other inside out. I would give them longer than that as they have to learn to write together and figure out where the chemistry lies. Also, sure they may well have tons of ideas and half written songs but they'll be spending even more time figuring out the direction, sound and feel of the album. Plus, I think it's going to be scrutinised even more than Neighbourhoods was due to Tom leaving and Matt stepping in. I think they will have had and still have a huge amount to figure out.

• Like 2

in untitled Mark and Tom were in the house basically every fucking day for months on end and then in the studio every day for months on end. They're working together quite often but not THAT often, and it's not a case of writing ten songs, going 'that'll do' quickly recording them and sending them off. It doesn't work that way. it's writing with a new member, making sure the songs are as good as they can be, working on arrangements, and a bunch of other shit before just straight recording it. 

This stuff takes a lot of time for most bands that's why people don't pop albums out every year. 

There's also a hell of a lot hinging on this album. If it sucks, blink will be officially dead. If it's awesome, it could reinvent the band for years to come. Not something you want to fly by the seat of your pants on.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, GrimCityGirl said:

in untitled Mark and Tom were in the house basically every fucking day for months on end and then in the studio every day for months on end. They're working together quite often but not THAT often, and it's not a case of writing ten songs, going 'that'll do' quickly recording them and sending them off. It doesn't work that way. it's writing with a new member, making sure the songs are as good as they can be, working on arrangements, and a bunch of other shit before just straight recording it. 

This stuff takes a lot of time for most bands that's why people don't pop albums out every year. 

I think most bands don't pop out an album every year because of financing reasons and because they're touring, not because it takes most bands a year to write and record.

19 minutes ago, GrimCityGirl said:

I'd agree with 98% of this. Back in the day (70s 80s odd) bands smashed out albums like no tomorrow. I'm thinking of Queen in particular and obviously they were absolutely brimmed with talent. Having said that, I guess that was because Freddie Mercury was a fucking genius. 

1 hour ago, GrimCityGirl said:

in untitled Mark and Tom were in the house basically every fucking day for months on end and then in the studio every day for months on end.

It's harder to reminisce on the old days since Tom is insane now BUT how fucking cool was that time. That's the dream right there.