Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

To put it simply, We’re back. We mean, really back. Picking up where we left off and then some. In the studio writing and recording a new album. Preparing to tour the world yet again. Friendships reformed. 17 years deep in our legacy. Summer 2009. Thanks and get ready.

• Like 9

The thing that changed a lot for Tom (according to me) was changing signature guitars. The hollow body has more of a "spacey" tone, it resonates more. And that's how most ava songs work. The fender gives a more straightout, aggresive sound.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

In Travis' biography, he said that he got Tom into post-hardcore bands like Fugazi (which apparently took a while, because Tom was originally narrow-minded and only listened to punk), which inspired BCR and subsequently self-titled.

I agree with Ghent, self-titled is most similar to BCR. Not lyrically, but just how it sounds. Darker, harder and heavier, and the drums sound pretty similar in some songs. 

Whomever bought him that Joshua Tree album should be shot...

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, vivalasativa said:

The thing that changed a lot for Tom (according to me) was changing signature guitars. The hollow body has more of a "spacey" tone, it resonates more. And that's how most ava songs work. The fender gives a more straightout, aggresive sound.

Oh, yes? Look straight to 1:58. Fender doing the magic through the proper rig.

Well, in fact, Tom showed some Fenders on the Start The Machine DVD while recording We Don't Need To Whisper. And moreover, his "new" hollow body sounded like shit with that shitty setup he wore onstage with blink lately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Oh, yes? Look straight to 1:58. Fender doing the magic through the proper rig.

Well, in fact, Tom showed some Fenders on the Start The Machine DVD while recording We Don't Need To Whisper. And moreover, his "new" hollow body sounded like shit with that shitty setup he wore onstage with blink lately.

On record it doesn't count to me, it could be they used 20 different guitars and setups for one song, we don't know that. Riffs like the intro of feeling this (let one snare ring out and slide chords), i miss you, all of this... would have never been created without that guitar. And you are showing U2, they're known to go very far in guitar sounds. not Tom.

1 hour ago, vivalasativa said:

On record it doesn't count to me, it could be they used 20 different guitars and setups for one song, we don't know that. Riffs like the intro of feeling this (let one snare ring out and slide chords), i miss you, all of this... would have never been created without that guitar. And you are showing U2, they're known to go very far in guitar sounds. not Tom.

You mean this? Done with a Gibson Les Paul? It's considered a solid body too. Anyway, if you have paid attention to Tom lately, you'd see he had plenty of fancy stuff for guitar. The custom E-333 does not provide the "space" sound itself. Not in studio, neither on live setups. It's all about rig, basically.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You mean this? Done with a Gibson Les Paul? It's considered a solid body too. Anyway, if you have paid attention to Tom lately, you'd see he had plenty of fancy stuff for guitar. The custom E-333 does not provide the "space" sound itself. Not in studio, neither on live setups. It's all about rig, basically.

dude i play guitar myself, i know the space sounds are riggs and pedals.  What i meant to say was the guitar resonates more, so "chord-riffs" will sound a lot different on the gibson then on the fender. He probably also wrote a lot of the BCR songs on the red ES

Most BCR songs supposedly started out as acoustic, so that seems unlikely. Also, I don't think Tom started using the red ES-335 until fall 2002, well after the album came out (at shows, anyway... we can't know for sure what guitars he played in private).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vivalasativa said:

dude i play guitar myself, i know the space sounds are riggs and pedals.  What i meant to say was the guitar resonates more, so "chord-riffs" will sound a lot different on the gibson then on the fender. He probably also wrote a lot of the BCR songs on the red ES

goooood, you're an idiot

6 minutes ago, blah said:

goooood, you're an idiot

hmm, lets see.

you: 81 posts -> 2 likes

me:  76 posts -> 40 likes

i guess people like what i have to say more then what you have to say.

I could be wrong here, no need to call people idiots. I think i really have a point about the guitar, i'm just not good at describing what i think and translating it from dutch to english.

1 hour ago, vivalasativa said:

Nope. And as a guitar player, you may know that a hollow body -when using it through an electrig rig-, doesn't sound "a lot different" than a solid body guitar. In fact, it sounds almost the same, and it's really hard to say if you don't see the guitar itself. Moreover, when the pick-ups are 'grabbing' the strings' vibrations to translate them to the cabinet, you're not getting the wood "box" resonance from the body, so... You can perceive, maybe, the difference on cleaner tones, but not as the way Tom uses it.

On the other hand, Tom admitted himself he wrote almost every song (from Enema to BCR) on acoustic guitar.

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Nope. And as a guitar player, you may know that a hollow body -when using it through an electrig rig-, doesn't sound "a lot different" than a solid body guitar. In fact, it sounds almost the same, and it's really hard to say if you don't see the guitar itself. Moreover, when the pick-ups are 'grabbing' the strings' vibrations to translate them to the cabinet, you're not getting the wood "box" resonance from the body, so... You can perceive, maybe, the difference on cleaner tones, but not as the way Tom uses it.

On the other hand, Tom admitted himself he wrote almost every song (from Enema to BCR) on acoustic guitar.

hollow bodies aren't a firm block of wood like solid bodies, so they tremble in a different way. I'm sure the guitar and type of wood makes a huge difference on how guitars sound (owned a hollow body, got rid of it) Sorry for sounding like a smartass, but i'm sure i have a point here.