Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

1 hour ago, bennett said:

i honestly found that and the other songs from that EP insulting. because that's what tom thinks a blink song should sound like in his head. 20 years later and that's what he's taken away from blink-182. the guy just doesn't get it. good riddance

great post. during the untitled era, he was so stoked on what blink COULD be. then, the moment he went crazy and starting doing AVA, he started spouting all those quotes about how blink was for "teenage girls" and shit. like he completely forgot how far they went on the untitled record. and every other interview during the reunion completely reinforced how blink was "celebrating his past/legacy" and all this dumb bullshit

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't get it either. It's pretty obvious they wanted to step forward that image. Untitled was a huge step to leave behind all what people was expecting from them. I remember perfectly well how that record got me when it was released. It was an amazing period for the band and for those who were following them since years ago.

Then, as you said, find out that Tom just refers to blink as the inmature side of himself. And also, you find that a lot of journalists are saying the same shitty refferences. It's stupid.

• Like 1

There's a lot. Depends on what you consider childish though. Though not at the same level as Fuck a Dog, I still think writing an entire song about Star Wars counts as fairly childish (don't get me wrong, I love that song).

The Family Next Door
Transvestite
Ben Wah Balls
Just About Done
Depends
A New Hope
Family Reunion
13 Miles
The Country Song
I Know a Guy (this one doesn't really count as a real song but whatever)
Happy Holidays, You Bastard
Mother's Day
Fuck a Dog
When You Fucked Grandpa

Most of these are just the songs that are straight-up jokes, but even a lot of the lyrics in their "serious songs" are childish. Dysentery Gary, for one. Lots of examples.

10 minutes ago, The Watcher on the Wall said:

Out of their entire discography, how many songs are even about childish things? Less  than 10, I'd wager.

I dunno, if you think about it, many of their earlier great songs are pretty childish.  Songs like The Party Song or Reckless Abandon are just songs about being delinquents that liked to party and have sex.  Hell, What's My Age again draws attention to how childish Mark is within the lyrics.  Not saying I don't like such songs, I definitely love them, but they were certainly lacking in maturity especially when you compare to songs from Untitled and even some later ones like Kaleidoscope.

• Like 1

Love blink joke songs, huge part of what made me fall in love with the the band. 

I'm all for any natural, genuine attempts at humor. 

Bums me out how many people here are too mature for that shit these days.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, morris. said:

Why does everyone love Kaleidoscope? One of the worst song on the album. And the chorus....jeez. 

For the longest time I didn't think it was anything special, then a couple of years ago it really clicked.  I really concentrated on the lyrics, and suddenly the tune started to really connect with me.  There are no good words, but it went from being like my 5th least favorite song on Neighborhoods to literally my favorite song on the album.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to eventually recognize and appreciate that song's brilliance.

• Like 2

It was my favourite from the beginning and still is. it's the only one I related to, and felt anything genuine from. I also love the guitar work on it, the drums on it are some of Travis's best work and I just love how it's delivered. it's one of my favourite blink songs out of all of their back catalog which is fucking surprising considering the album it's from. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Love blink joke songs, huge part of what made me fall in love with the the band. 

I'm all for any natural, genuine attempts at humor. 

Bums me out how many people here are too mature for that shit these days.

Not gunna lie I laughed at Toms golden showers song, especially the popping on your cousin lyric, dunno why just found it funny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrimCityGirl said:

It was my favourite from the beginning and still is. it's the only one I related to, and felt anything genuine from. I also love the guitar work on it, the drums on it are some of Travis's best work and I just love how it's delivered. it's one of my favourite blink songs out of all of their back catalog which is fucking surprising considering the album it's from. 

Agreed, also the video you did for it was PERFECT for that song.