Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

Oh yeah! Neighborhoods and DED were mostly Tom and didn't have enough trading vocals. I would appreciate a more evenly spread album.

Agreed, I was actually shocked at the amount of Tom vocals on Neighborhoods considering he didn't want to do the record in the first place. I thought it was going to be more Mark based. 

• Like 2

It was strange. His songs compile most of the Neighborhoods and then according to Travis he didn't bother listening to the mixes or whatever. Why would you compose 70% of an album and not care about the finished product?

At least this time around there won't be any songs, which your guitarist hasn't heard of, pop up on the album (HAG).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

It was strange. His songs compile most of the Neighborhoods and then according to Travis he didn't bother listening to the mixes or whatever. Why would you compose 70% of an album and not care about the finished product?

At least this time around there won't be any songs, which your guitarist hasn't heard of, pop up on the album (HAG).

I think he had number of the conditions written in his contract. I would guess... Tom: "I am going to write an album, but there should be 70-80% of my vocals". Maybe label thought that Untitled was so huge and popular because of Tom's vocals, so they suggested to do the same thing on Neighborhoods.

The album was probably Tom heavy because Tom refused to collaborate with the band. He was writing and recording complete songs and e-mailing them over. Being the only guitarist in the band, it probably put Mark in an awkward position. If he was to have any say, he would have to write and record complete songs as well. See Hearts All Gone etc.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Ixidor said:

I understand that Mark would write and occasionally track some guitar, but Tom had never even heard Hearts All Gone before it was released? Was that writen somewhere? I'd believe it, but that's a shocking level of apathy 

2 hours ago, Heinrich Faust said:

I understand that Mark would write and occasionally track some guitar, but Tom had never even heard Hearts All Gone before it was released? Was that writen somewhere? I'd believe it, but that's a shocking level of apathy 

i don't ever remember seeing that confirmed anywhere, nor would it really be. i think everyone based that off an early live video of the song, where tom clearly forgets the lyrics or forgets to even sing at all.