Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

They were the kings of pop punk. I have zero issue with Untitled, and understand why it's some people's favorite. There isn't a song on that record I skip (And the same can be said with everything before Neighborhoods), but they were the KINGS of Pop Punk and if bands like 3eb and JEW can keep their style consistent and still produce great material they could have had they wanted to continue that reign without slowing down at all. 

I think they just wanted to scape that realm. Punkpop is cool, but is a genre which ages really bad. Unfortunately, it's not taken seriously and it's not a place where you can go to expand your artistic interests. So I think that having been "forced" to do Enema 2 (which I love), they just decided to go straight out that place. Untitled is not that far from where they came, but it was the good move on the right directon, musically speaking, in order to set their freedom from cliches.

If people don't think so, they only have to go to see the likes of New Found Glory or Bowling For Soup. Of course, they have done very good records (and they have developed killer live acts), but well... they are not taken as serious bands.

Not judging here if that is or isn't a good thing or if I preffer one or another. Just saying.

• Like 1

There's no chance I'd listen to enema or toypaj with other people around. #cringe.

Why the hell not? There isn't a single song on EotS that I'd be embarrassed to play in public.

Yeah, Enema invented that classic pop punk sound, TOYPAJ perfected it.

Lazy, forced, compromising follow-up. No wonder Tom wanted to do BCR after that.

• Like 2

Most Pop Punk songs have the same chord progressions! The Ramones almost used the same one all the time. The same on as the Rock Show! 

The T-Progression is kind of annoying a lot of the time, but Blink basically perfected it, to a not trained ear I don't think it's even noticeable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%E2%80%93V%E2%80%93vi%E2%80%93IV_progression

for those non-musicians...

i'm fascinated by that chord progression. i'm not a musician but i'm amazed that it is in SO MANY pop songs. and you're right davey, blink far and away holds the title for abusing that progression more than any other artist haha. katy perry's done it too several times i think.

point is, i don't mind if blink re-used the same chord progressions. it might have gotten old if they remained the same band past dude ranch. but they didn't, they evolved.

I'm excited to hear new original stuff from this version of blink. I think that will boost my excitement for the idea. The novelty of those live shows has worn off for me to be honest. Listening to them now just leaves me kinda lukewarm. Regardless of how horrific Tom's vocals are live now, and how he's insane, the definitive versions of those songs are so ingrained in my mind with Tom's voice. Hearing Matt sing them, as solid as his voice is, just sounds like a pretty good cover band vocalist singing some of my favorite songs.

I'm excited to hear new original stuff from this version of blink. I think that will boost my excitement for the idea. The novelty of those live shows has worn off for me to be honest. Listening to them now just leaves me kinda lukewarm. Regardless of how horrific Tom's vocals are live now, and how he's insane, the definitive versions of those songs are so ingrained in my mind with Tom's voice. Hearing Matt sing them, as solid as his voice is, just sounds like a pretty good cover band vocalist singing some of my favorite songs.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thinking of catching Trio at riotfest just to see if I warm up to Skiba again. Maybe blink will mainly play new songs when an album comes out and they won't sound as much like a cover band.

• Like 1

i'm fascinated by that chord progression. i'm not a musician but i'm amazed that it is in SO MANY pop songs. and you're right davey, blink far and away holds the title for abusing that progression more than any other artist haha. katy perry's done it too several times i think.

point is, i don't mind if blink re-used the same chord progressions. it might have gotten old if they remained the same band past dude ranch. but they didn't, they evolved.

I think it's annoying a lot of the time. Blink's use of it is brilliant!

Check this one out though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50s_progression

still don't see how current Tom makes blink sound any more authentic. current Tom is further from old Tom that Skiba is.

True, I don't know, the cognitive dissonance doesn't kick in as much when I know the guy onstage is the guy who used to be Old Tom haha. I think if I had to rank what outcome I wish would've happened, it would go like this:

1. Aliens let The Real Tom come back to Earth after abducting him in 2004 and having an imposter live his life since then. Blink records and continues on without missing a step.

2. Retire the Blink 182 name and have Mark Travis and Matt start a new project

3. Matt replaces Tom, Blink 182 name lives on (aka what is actually happening)

4. Blink is dead never to return

5. New Tom stays in the band and things go on as they have the last couple years

• Like 1

A song is not only a chord progression. A song is made about other important parts which make the basic structure of it, being one of them the main melody. And that's, at the end, what identifies a song.

if you're a musician they drive you bonky. i listen to popular music and all i see are the chords, in my head.

if you're a musician they drive you bonky. i listen to popular music and all i see are the chords, in my head.

Im a musician, and it doesn't bother me that much. most of the time it's forgiveable, unless its like Katy-Perry style of obvious.