Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

the bottom line is that Tom is not even the same shell of a person that he once was. so its really not surprising he can't write those songs anymore. do you think if you held a gun to his head he could write a decent pop punkish jingle? i'm doubtful. if he could, he would have put it on his lame solo album cash grab which was a blatant attempt to say I AM BLINK LISTEN TO ME

That's what i think a lot of it is. 

I know variety is the spice of life and all that but whoever told Tom to listen to anything other than punk rock indirectly ruined that guys career!

Glad to hear that Travis gets Neighbourhoods is kinda sucky too (IMO anyway). Be interesting to see if anything from it lasts in the live set lists and if so for how long.

just a recap for posterity, even the already-known stuff:

• old blink fans will "love" the album
  • skiba couldn't be a more perfect fit -- "the ONLY person that could fill in would be skiba"
  • +44 was never an option -- they were going to move forward as blink no matter what
  • tom was "extremely difficult" and wouldn't compromise
  • blink is "eternal youth" for a lot of fans. mark and travis never wanted to change blink-182, whereas on the "last couple albums," tom wanted to record songs emulating coldplay or U2. "blink is blink, man, we want to sound like fucking blink-182"
  • a "dangerous side" of blink comes out on the new album
  • neighborhoods was "rough, we all three didn't agree on sound, one member of the band really wanted to change the sound, we couldn't get in the studio"
  • "the best piece of material since the untitled album"
  • "neighborhoods was cool, man [... but] i feel like some on there were misses"
  • "we have like 26 songs we did with john feldmann, and we have to pick like 12" and no one can choose. "that's a great problem to have. with neighborhoods, we wrote like 12 songs and they all made it on the album"
  • the end of their relationship with interscope was a "weird time [...] people were being swapped out. blink's never been a band that has a business suit in the studio like 'hey, i'm an A&R on this project, i don't like this song'"
  • the comfort level with feldmann is "crazy," reminiscent of jerry finn
  • themes/concepts on album: "definitely a sense of los angeles being a big part of this album"
  • travis sometimes contributes to lyrics. "some stuff will start with the drum beat"
  • it wasn't until this past week that travis had to exit the studio: "i was in the studio till like 2am and we had grammy rehearsal at like 10 i was like 'okay i'm tapping out for a week'". he's going back after transplants rehearsals
  • there was some "inconsistency with neighborhoods. and with DED. it was hard to explain to fans. all i can do is apologize for the inconsistency"
  • "things are great now and this is a great fucking album"
  • "expect a single at top of the summer and then a  tour as well"
  • Like 6

i think my favorite part of this interview was his thoughts on neighborhoods. i can't get enough of hearing insight onto that record. trying to save face/take up for tom while everything is falling apart. the A&R quote is particularly interesting... clearly someone at interscope wasn't happy with some songs on the record, which perhaps could have affected its commercial response

anyway. great interview.

• Like 2

So many cool things from that interview. Mark and Travis seem to have the same attitude about Tom that we do, and they clearly know that without him (not to mention with the addition Skiba) they can make something amazing. The cool thing is that Travis made it sound like they didn't give the fans what they deserved post-hiatus, like this is going to be the first real post-hiatus blink-182 album. That's really what it's starting to feel like.

Also I'm starting to wonder if the single will be dropped in June and the album in July with that one comment. I know Travis can be unreliable with some of his interviews, but according to Mark blink has had a target date in mind since October (at latest).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

"Single at the top of the summer."

May or June maybe?

Hopefully he meant mid/late May and not June. Small difference either way I guess. But what does that mean about the album? Would it be normal to drop the single then the album two weeks later? Because if that's not the case the album could very well come out in July.

4 minutes ago, Chrisx37 said:

Hopefully he meant mid/late May and not June. Small difference either way I guess. But what does that mean about the album? Would it be normal to drop the single then the album two weeks later? Because if that's not the case the album could very well come out in July.

Yeah I don't know. He also specifically said "single and tour" and not "album." Are they going to tour before the album comes out? I thought they specifically didn't want to do that.

20 minutes ago, dildo69er said:

wonder why it has to be 12? Also if its only 12...i dont want any fucking interludes.

He also had neighborhoods only had 12 songs. I'm pretty sure he was using 12 as in that's typically the standard album length. I imagine they'll be able to cut it down to 14 but I don't think he meant they're locked into 12 songs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boxelder said:

plus, with a new label, they might do the common thing where artists put out a "deluxe edition" or save a few bonus tracks for target or best buy or something. i'm sure we'll get more than 12 if they've indeed recorded 26

I don't think they're fully recording 26. I think he means they have to whittle down to 12 or so songs to fit their budget. They probably have all 26 fully written and recorded to some extent but they still need to pay people to play on certain instruments like keys and what not. And they have to pay for each song to get mixed which is a lot of money and each song they progress further takes up more and more of johns time also costing money. I don't think we'll hear more than 15 fully completed songs, but who knows.

35 minutes ago, Chrisx37 said:

Are seasons different in the US? i know ours are opposite but we have winter from june-august which would be your summer?

i think he wanted to say "expect a single soon, album at top of the summer, then tour". it wouldn't make sense to talk about the new album for minutes, then answer an album question with only a single release date. he just wanted to draw up a quick timeline, and missed a word.

Hopefully Travis doesn't consider self-titled a record that doesn't sound like blink. In my mind, a musical artist sonority should always evolve naturally, should be bound to change no matter what. I'd hate it if blink did what NFG has done the past few years. That would be such a waste of potential...

If there's something I'm thankful to Tom, even post-reunion (Neighborhoods is my second favorite blink record) is that he kept trying to broad the band's horizons.

• Like 1

Yea I don't know if anyone else picked up on that, but Travis was saying Tom was trying to change the band all the way back to untitled. It came off as negative but I don't think it meant to be negative for the untitled album. At least I hope he doesn't look at untitled that way since it's by far their most beloved album by fans.

• Like 1