Blink Studio Discussion Thread

Ghent

travis, matt, and i are heading into the studio to continue writing songs in the next few days. there are already a couple of ideas working from before i left for the summer. lots more to come in the future. it may take some time, but it begins now.

This means that, as I said, they have been working together in the meanwhile. HAH.

• Like 1

they're obviously continuing as blink-182. that's been made pretty clear. why else would they need to legally separate from tom if they were changing the name

Because if Tom's lawyer has half a brain, he can say this is a breach of trademark rights where consumers may be confused that they are buying a product that is associated with Tom without Tom in it. If you (a consumer) see a new album released by Blink 182, and you're not aware of the news Tom got kicked, it's misusing the Blink 182 trademark. 

It's called the tort of passing off and has plenty of case law to cite it. I believe it's the reason why Sublime toured as Sublime with Rome. 

From what I understand they only want legitimate collectors to join the group and they get pissed when non-collection-related discussions occur. Unless of course it's Mark who's doing it.

i have only seen him comment or contribute with regards to collections (mostly confirming authenticity, etc) until this going into the studio update.

• Like 1

Because if Tom's lawyer has half a brain, he can say this is a breach of trademark rights where consumers may be confused that they are buying a product that is associated with Tom without Tom in it. If you (a consumer) see a new album released by Blink 182, and you're not aware of the news Tom got kicked, it's misusing the Blink 182 trademark. 

It's called the tort of passing off and has plenty of case law to cite it. I believe it's the reason why Sublime toured as Sublime with Rome. 

isn't that exactly why they needed to legally separate from tom? if they sold a new album as "blink 182 with matt skiba," what would be the point in legally separating from him? 

• Like 1

isn't that exactly why they needed to legally separate from tom? if they sold a new album as "blink 182 with matt skiba," what would be the point in legally separating from him? 

Legally separating is so vague that we have no idea what they've been doing. It could be based on Tom thinking he still has a share in Blink going forward, receiving revenue on performances, royalties on past recordings, etc. 

What I'm talking about is purely based on trademark law using the name 'Blink 182' and is just something Tom will always be able to argue against Mark and Travis using. 

they've all said that Tom was being totally cooperative. so, if he was fighting any of that, they wouldn't have spoke positively about the situation 

Probably not. But I also think Mark has learned from the first break up that having bad blood will only make things worse going forward. Playing the nice guy and putting Tom in a positive light can only benefit them as they are still representing Blink and will be catering to some fans that loved Tom. 

i have only seen him comment or contribute with regards to collections (mostly confirming authenticity, etc) until this going into the studio update.

Mark strikes me as being very Jaded by it all. I mean, the guy has seen and heard everything, so I really doubt he gives a shit one way or another. Sure, he may make the decision to not post there anymore, but he isn't going to give that decision much thought at all. Certainly won't ruin his day.

Case in point, you are a huge fan with all these old pictures, someone who actually knew Mark, and Mark's reaction to you was like "David" like he didn't even care or didn't even know you. You'd think it would have been at least "Whats up long time no speak!"

But for him, an old fan from back in the day, is just another day. So imagine how far up people like us "newer" fans are in the pecking order.

Mark strikes me as being very Jaded by it all. I mean, the guy has seen and heard everything, so I really doubt he gives a shit one way or another. Sure, he may make the decision to not post there anymore, but he isn't going to give that decision much thought at all. Certainly won't ruin his day.

Case in point, you are a huge fan with all these old pictures, someone who actually knew Mark, and Mark's reaction to you was like "David" like he didn't even care or didn't even know you. You'd think it would have been at least "Whats up long time no speak!"

But for him, an old fan from back in the day, is just another day. So imagine how far up people like us "newer" fans are in the pecking order.

that's just how he addresses people in posts. "name. reply." he took the time to thank me when i asked about his family; that was very sweet of him and all the acknowledgement i expected. i mean, i haven't seen him or spoken to him in 16 years. how many people do you remember from 16 years ago? and the older you get, the harder it gets.  :smile:

• Like 1

that's just how he addresses people in posts. "name. reply." he took the time to thank me when i asked about his family; that was very sweet of him and all the acknowledgement i expected. i mean, i haven't seen him or spoken to him in 16 years. how many people do you remember from 16 years ago? and the older you get, the harder it gets.  :smile:

Well thats true, and as a celebrity he meets more people in one year than most in a lifetime (those are the estimates anyway)......

I graduated from High School 16 years ago, class of about 300, and I guess if someone I said Hi to on occasion message me on facebook, I'd remember them a bit, but not all that much. By chance I have a guy working with me I was best friends with in 1993, its kind of interesting, he will bring up old memories that I don't recall. People I don't recall, and to be honest, I don't remember a heck of a lot about our friendship outside of a few good memories.

So what you are saying makes sense if I think about it.

Well thats true, and as a celebrity he meets more people in one year than most in a lifetime (those are the estimates anyway)......

I graduated from High School 16 years ago, class of about 300, and I guess if someone I said Hi to on occasion message me on facebook, I'd remember them a bit, but not all that much. By chance I have a guy working with me I was best friends with in 1993, its kind of interesting, he will bring up old memories that I don't recall. People I don't recall, and to be honest, I don't remember a heck of a lot about our friendship outside of a few good memories.

So what you are saying makes sense if I think about it.

i don't even remember half of my own life back then. i'm glad i kept ticket stubs and photos so i can piece it together!

when i ran into anne on myspace in like 2006 she remembered me and we had a nice chat.

• Like 1