i wish taking back sunday would break up......

tom18222

I'm honestly shocked that Ghent likes this band considering they were the definition of what he typically hates. they were little emo fuck boys for like ten years.

The copiers of a style tend to annoy much more than its originators.

Early TBS didn't really annoy people because bands like The Used didn't exist yet. There was no reason to hear the word "emo" and roll your eyes. TAYF was like if you slowed down a Lifetime record and got a really clean vocalist - which made things a whole lot more accessible. The lyrics, while melancholy and confessional certainly, weren't written with this overly whiny sense of doom and melodrama that plagued the "emo" genre for the next 5 or 6 years after TAYF.

Also about what you said regarding that video I linked, I think the sloppiness was what made that band so fun to watch live. That was back before they adopted their completely clean Louder Now style, and held on to their Long Island punk roots a bit, encouraging mosh pits and mic shares, and choosing conviction over clarity during their performances.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Louder Now shows too, but, I don't think they really touch the TAYF performances, sloppiness and all.

Well, people were rolling their eyes about emo since the day somebody called it "emo". but it didn't dive into self-parody levels until a little after bands like TBS and Dashboard made it very overt feelings on your sleeve, etc. One could even argue that Saves The Day catapulted the hardcore and pop-punk style together trying to do their version of Lifetime, and that TBS just followed with their style of Long Island hardcore. Also Chris Conley's lyrics were mostly about failed romances and missing his mom. Very "emo".

TBS basically got the sing-along thing down perfection. Almost every song off of TAYF demands to be shouted along with. It's a declaration of angst and pain. The entire album is like a giant call out to Adam Lazarra's ex girlfriend and Jesse Lacey smooshed together, the stuff senior year of high school is made out of. It was 100% melodrama. I think after that, and with John out of the band, they decided to be way more vague and started trying to elevate the band into a "real act" and kind of lost their charm along the way. An aging TBS would suck anyhow, but they at least got some more hits out of it.

I never said it didn't. It came out three months after TAYF but that's beside the point. When TAYF came out emo still meant Sunny Day Real Estate, it took a few years for bands like The Used and MCR to proliferate in order for emo to be used as a derogatory term (which was, and is stupid).

I'm glad the emo term kinda died out.  I completely consider myself an emo kid, but that's cause I connect to much more emotionally to music then most people do.  I could give a fuck about technicality, give me passion.  I hate how emo became a term just to describe a style or fashion really.  Irritating as fuck.  I listen to mostly hardcore bands at this point and it's emo as fuck, but there's not fashion attached to it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzkeNWthzT0

Was watching some of their old performances again. Man they were great. Such a stellar frontman too. To me, the difference between this and their new performances is clear as day.

oh yeah, not even close. 

at least we got the two albums out of it

matt was awesome. Nolan is probably just trying to make ends meat. probably why he came back.

Nolan always sounded like shit live in my opinion but at least before he gave it his all and you felt the passion.

Now he sounds like he couldn't give a fuck, yeah he probably is there for the money but at least have a little go at caring.

• Like 1