Love & Mercy. Brian Wilson's biopic.

Ghost

It has been jus released on digital. I saw it two nights ago, and I liked it. Specially when they recreate the recording sessions for Pet Sounds. The musicians were real ones playing real sheets at the moment in that sequence of the film. So it happened as it happened back on 1966. Well... kinda, you know. The studio recreation is really charming.

Although is 2 hours long, I think they left out some important details. It's obvious that you can't explain someone's life on a movie with a lot of detail. Mainly because it would be boring and slow. But I think they focused too much on Brian's breakdown and Melinda being his ultimate saving, letting aside every other attempt on "save" Brian.

Of course the brakdown was the most important event of his life. But, musically speaking, what he done until 1968 was gold, and, despite the Pet Sounds and Smile telling, is barely covered.

For example. The breakdown took place due to several circumstances. Of course, the low sales of Pet Sounds were a major letdown for Brian and, maybe, the start of his demise. But also was Mike Love, who refused the new sound, and specially Capitol Records, which was boycotting the new direction demanding more old songs and just releasing a Greatest Hits after the release of Pet Sounds.

Also, there's the fact about Eugene Landy being a total prick and an asshole who was taking profit about him. He overdrugged Brian to death. But I miss the role of Murry Wilson being the "too much" guy who put a lot of pressure in Brian until 1965 and drove him, literally, crazy. Yeah, it's shown on the movie, but a recreation of the famous Help Me Rhonda recording sessions, in which Brian fires Murry (if memory serves me right), woul be more explainative on this. Not only the God Only Knows rejection by Murry.

Well. I guess nothing is perfect. Or maybe that I, as a die hard fan, know too much boring details. Other than that, is a nice movie to see, which recreates with big fidelity a lot of importan moments on the Beach Boys and Brian's life, and will throw an acurate vision on what it was.