Billboard interview with Travis

Chewy030

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that at all. I've heard of it. I was just making the point that its not all of them like Msandt seemed to indicate. I'll check out that Oxyana. It interests me.

With the kidney stuff, I've been on tons of narcotics. Never got addicted. Never got the urge to take them for recreation. Of course I am not everyone.

But I will say without them, I'd likely be dead. Kidney stones ain't something you can mess around with in terms of pain. It can get so bad that you could OD on Oxycodone before the pain stopped. Only IV will work for the worst of pain, morphine, etc.

• Like 1

Also, it sounds like Travis may be a bit more culpable in blink's demise than we understand. If he was so fucked up in 2004 that he needed a security guard to watch him breath and was trying to call off tours because he was suicidal from drug use, I can understand having thoughts of going solo to avoid that liability. I know Tom was on pills too, but he probably justified it as medicinal for his back, and putting up with Travis's gangster shit would have been taxing nonetheless.

this. i am really interested to hear the stories of the stuff we never knew went on, like being THAT fucked up in oz in '04 (wasn't that when he "broke his foot" or something? was that the reason he wound up going home?) i always imagined travis was smoking a hell of a lot of weed (which doesn't really matter) but i had no idea he was so fucked up on prescription pills.

great interview, very excited for the book. even IF it's just strippers and prescription drugs, it should still be a very interesting look

Thank you for that insight Dr. Europe, we will make sure to publish that in upcoming medical journals.

This has been published all over the medical literature journals actually. Highest rate of addictions coming from prescription opioids. Most other countries on the other side of the pond rarely even prescribe opioids for post-op pain. It's a North American phenomenon (including Canada). 

This has been published all over the medical literature journals actually. Highest rate of addictions coming from prescription opioids. Most other countries on the other side of th.e pond rarely even prescribe opioids for post-op pain. It's a North American phenomenon (including Canada). 

I don't see how anyone should be expected to tolerate pain. Minor or even moderate pain that goes away, maybe. But severe pain, agony. That ain't going away with tylenhol, and no one should be forced to endure that.

Hearing that, I know I wouldn't live over there.

At any moment I could be minutes away from agony and knowing I have oxy as a backup is like my life insurance policy. I don't abuse it and only take it when I am having problems.

This has been published all over the medical literature journals actually. Highest rate of addictions coming from prescription opioids. Most other countries on the other side of the pond rarely even prescribe opioids for post-op pain. It's a North American phenomenon (including Canada).

Sarcasm, Vic.

I don't see how anyone should be expected to tolerate pain. Minor or even moderate pain that goes away, maybe. But severe pain, agony. That ain't going away with tylenhol, and no one should be forced to endure that.

Hearing that, I know I wouldn't live over there.

At any moment I could be minutes away from agony and knowing I have oxy as a backup is like my life insurance policy. I don't abuse it and only take it when I am having problems.

Well, unfortunately in best medical practice, it ain't all about what the patient wants at the moment sometimes. What's best for you in the long term might mean more discomfort in the short term. Sure, you can have your oxy when you're in agony, but is it worth the risk of developing chronic opioid addiction that completely obliterates your life (relationships, job, financial status)? You aren't the only level headed, educated person who thought they wouldn't abuse something they were prescribed. The numbers don't lie.. it happens to the best of us.. and is now a national epidemic.

Pain can be managed in a number of different ways that don't include the strongest pain killers possible. Often times patient expectations and demands are not in line with reality. Patients with garden variety arthritis will moan about being in 11/10 pain, when really it's just an exaggerated state that they will be able to manage over time after they find coping mechanisms. The problem is doctors that cave in to this, prescribe opioids, patients get addicted, and here we are. Who's to say more conservative approaches wouldn't work, if they were just tried more often?

An analogy is that if you have a flame to put out, sometimes the best thing to use isn't a firehose, because that is too powerful and will cause more damage than it is worth.

• Like 2

Well, unfortunately in best medical practice, it ain't all about what the patient wants at the moment sometimes. What's best for you in the long term might mean more discomfort in the short term. Sure, you can have your oxy when you're in agony, but is it worth the risk of developing chronic opioid addiction that completely obliterates your life (relationships, job, financial status)? You aren't the only level headed, educated person who thought they wouldn't abuse something they were prescribed. The numbers don't lie.. it happens to the best of us.. and is now a national epidemic.

Pain can be managed in a number of different ways that don't include the strongest pain killers possible. Often times patient expectations and demands are not in line with reality. Patients with garden variety arthritis will moan about being in 11/10 pain, when really it's just an exaggerated state that they will be able to manage over time after they find coping mechanisms. The problem is doctors that cave in to this, prescribe opioids, patients get addicted, and here we are. Who's to say more conservative approaches wouldn't work, if they were just tried more often?

An analogy is that if you have a flame to put out, sometimes the best thing to use isn't a firehose, because that is too powerful and will cause more damage than it is worth.

I agree that doctors need to prescribe less narcotics for pain and that there needs to be more regulation on it, and that people get addicted and all that. I am for trying to find a way around having to reach of the narcotic.

But getting rid of it altogether is insanity. I am not sure if thats what you think. But anyone who thinks that hasn't been in real pain. They don't understand real chronic pain. The question is, would I rather suffer a kidney attack or get addicted. Well, I am not sure what the chance of me getting addicted is, any stats? hasn't happened in the 15 years I've had the drugs at my disposal.....so yes, I'd rather take the pill for  pain then try and kill myself due to the pain (which in fact was a consideration of mine).

But in the end, no one needs to be in chornic physical pain. No one should have to live like that. The possible addictive aspects of it need to be dealt with, but living in agony, where you can't function in a daily setting, would be just as bad.

Kidney stones are perhaps the best example of when narcotic pain killers are a good idea. A 10 year old kid who broke his arm? Fuck no. I received percocet for shit like broken toes/ broken fingers a lot as a kid. I could have gotten by with no meds if I needed to (it's not like these drugs have been around forever) and mainly enjoyed them because they got me high. I never got hooked, but the risk was certainly there, especially in high school and after when ALL my friends became addicted to percocet and vicodin.

edit) - Keep in mind I've had kidney stones. I've broken my shoulder in half, dislocated it probably 10 times, had pins put in, had an 8 hour surgery to repair the ligaments. I've had an extra toe removed, had it removed again when it started to grow back. I've had an anal fistula surgery and an anal abscess surgery. Retractile testicle surgery. Septim surgery to fix my nose. Milk tooth removed from the roof of my mouth, 4 impacted wisdom teeth. Broken fingers and toes. That's not including the random ailments/ disorders that haven't resulted in surgery. Point is that I fully understand pain and chronic pain, and I know that sometimes those meds are appropriate, but often times they are not, and more discretion needs to be used.

• Like 2

Kidney stones are perhaps the best example of when narcotic pain killers are a good idea. A 10 year old kid who broke his arm? Fuck no. I received percocet for shit like broken toes/ broken fingers a lot as a kid. I could have gotten by with no meds if I needed to (it's not like these drugs have been around forever) and mainly enjoyed them because they got me high. I never got hooked, but the risk was certainly there, especially in high school and after when ALL my friends became addicted to percocet and vicodin.

edit) - Keep in mind I've had kidney stones. I've broken my shoulder in half, dislocated it probably 10 times, had pins put in, had an 8 hour surgery to repair the ligaments. I've had an extra toe removed, had it removed again when it started to grow back. I've had an anal fistula surgery and an anal abscess surgery. Retractile testicle surgery. Septim surgery to fix my nose. Milk tooth removed from the roof of my mouth, 4 impacted wisdom teeth. Broken fingers and toes. That's not including the random ailments/ disorders that haven't resulted in surgery. Point is that I fully understand pain and chronic pain, and I know that sometimes those meds are appropriate, but often times they are not, and more discretion needs to be used.

Yikes, I didn't know you'd dealt with all that.

I totally agree with you. I think tooth extraction might be another one. Hurts like a bitch for like 24 hours, in that short window you need something. Maybe only 1 pill. After that, its fine. So prescribe 1 pill or 2 at most.

Broken bones, hurts like a bitch at first, but I think that is over the counter meds can take care of that. Short duration intense pain does not call for narcotics. Its long term stuff. Stuff that persists for hours. Kidney stone pain is just really annoying for like the first couple hours, but it wears people down mentally, by hour 6 I was ready to jump off a roof. Literally. The human body is not meant to tolerate long term intense pain.

When I got my wisdom teeth out it didn't even really hurt, and I didn't go under. I had oxy but I didn't need it at all. I took it a couple times just because it was fun but I easily could have gotten by without the painkillers at all.

Another issue is doctors prescribe too much at a time. Nobody needs a months worth of oxy getting your wisdom teeth removed. They might need a week at most and that's a lot. Nobody should have extra opiates lying around their house in case something happens. Just because we have self constraint doesn't mean we have a right to it because then everyone would have a right to it because then those that are addiction prone would have the right to. And no one knows if they're addiction prone anyway. If there's an emergency call an ambulance or drive to the er. I wish there were better measures to keep people from having leftover opiates around.

And a big part of the problem is fucking insurance companies of course. To refill these prescriptions you have to go back for a full visit so doctors will just prescribe as much as they can so the patient doesn't have to come back to get more if they really need it.

I've never had a doctor prescribe me anything good for any reason. Not for root canals and tooth extractions, not for debilitating shoulder pain (assumed to be temporary, generally), not even when I had pectus excavatum repair and they broke apart my ribcage. I maybe had hydrocodone at some point. I guess I've never insisted on any kind of medication, nor have I ever really experienced a level of pain that I can't tolerate, so I'm assuming if I were there they would have.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, it seems like there are some sketchy docs out there. They make a piece of various parts of their services, so I get why they'd prescribe months of a brand name opiate to make a dime, but I never got lucky, dammit. I'd probably be fucking dead by now if I had experienced oxy knowing me, so probably for the best.

Isn't it illegal for doctors to make money off the sale of meds? Like if I was a company and I had a drug that I wanted pushed, I could just buy off doctors? I don't think it works that way. That is dangerous. Am I wrong?

I don't see pushing pills as a way for the DR to make money, I see it as that is the only thing they know. Doctors know surgery and they know meds. Thats why you see a doctor. If you are going to a doctor to just have a chat, I can think of better ways to spend up to 2 hours and up to $300.

Although I will say, my aunt had terrible issues, and no insurance, and she was a huge drain on the medical system. They loaded her up with so much shit. She was on like 20 prescription pills a day.

The medical examiner came in and made all those meds disappear when she died. Poof gone.

To this day, I am pretty sure they wanted her dead. When you are racking up like $5mil in surgeries and no insurance.........

Can't prove it, but thats the state of health care here in the USA.

Redhot, you should like.. Stop going outside or something. That fucking sucks.

It was a lot worse when I was younger. They gave my mom some experimental drug to prevent labor that ended up being banned, and that likely caused a lot of the problems. I was also anorexic for most of my childhood, until about high school, and I think the malnutrition during all those years fucked me up pretty bad. 

I just posted a photo in the photo section, because I figured after my revelations, you guys would think I was some kind of deformed monster lol.

Maybe I saw the wrong doctors as a kid, but I've never had a doctor who was quick with his prescription book.

TWICE, I brought up to a doctor as a teenager that I was depressed and nervous and twice, two different doctors said "Ah just practice breathing" or whatever. No drugs.

For pain, kidney stones are agony okay, if ever you need oxy, you need it then, trust me. But had to get pushy to get it. The minute you ask for oxy and there is this little thing in their heads that says "oh you are a drug addict" um, NO. I am in fucking horrible pain. Even at the ER, they gave me some, it wasn't enough, I asked for more, and they had "the look" the "oh a drug addict using the ER as a place to get his fix".

just a note: kidney stones can cause shocking pain, but you should not use oxycodone if you have any kind of kidney-diseases. oxy numbs the pain, but makes it harder for the stones to go out naturally. so instead of using opioids, start a week long rowatinex cure when you start feeling the slight stone-pain on your lower back (if you had kidney stones once, they'll be there again in 4 years, and you will recognize the feeling in the early state), then you can survive the process without serious pain. if necessary, use your girlfriend's antispasmodics (pms meds).

oxycodone should not be used outside of hospitals. it doesn't cure anything, it just helps to live through extreme pains. but if you are in a situation with these extreme pains, the source has to be treated immedately (with a targeted medication or with surgery). so there's no point of living with oxy for days/weeks...