NBA

Mitch.

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Anyone into trading cards now that it's popular again?

lets trade

I was into cards as a kid, and got back into it for a few years to scratch my gambling itch after mostly giving gambling up.

Not even really into collecting, just enjoy opening packs. Hopefully making money but expecting to lose it.

I bought about $10K worth of 2018-19 to keep sealed as an investment. Shortly after I did, It seemed pretty clear that they printed them to the moon so I figured meh, I love opening them anyways, so I'll just have my fun and sell them.

Now, even if I had kept them sealed, there's no way I wouldn't have sold them by now anyways, but that $10K would be an easy $150K right now.

Thank you for letting me whine

And now after the boom over the last year, the prices are astronomical, there's no way I can get involved unless I run into some at Target.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NeverOliver said:

I was into cards as a kid, and got back into it for a few years to scratch my gambling itch after mostly giving gambling up.

Not even really into collecting, just enjoy opening packs. Hopefully making money but expecting to lose it.

I bought about $10K worth of 2018-19 to keep sealed as an investment. Shortly after I did, It seemed pretty clear that they printed them to the moon so I figured meh, I love opening them anyways, so I'll just have my fun and sell them.

Now, even if I had kept them sealed, there's no way I wouldn't have sold them by now anyways, but that $10K would be an easy $150K right now.

Thank you for letting me whine

And now after the boom over the last year, the prices are astronomical, there's no way I can get involved unless I run into some at Target.

It is absolutely insane. I'm in a group on Facebook with dudes selling cards for $30k like 15 minutes after posting. People in other countries offering to pay for flights for buyers. Nuts

On December 30th, 2012 I bought a Lebron rookie card and an Anthony Davis rookie card off Ebay (Lebron $12 and AD $6) The Lebron is now worth $1,500 minimum and the AD is ~$800. I had a Giannis rookie card and two Curry rookie cards sitting in a box with cards that I hadn't filed away that I found on Christmas this year.

I'm not sure what I should be doing with them. My hunch is I should sell off any hot cards of players from the last few years and hold on to Lebron and my older 90s collection stuff which still isn't worth much.

I've got three Zion RCs I've opened recently and a Ja Morant, so those should pay off in the future.

I'm glad card trading is back. Hope it sticks around, it's a fun and exciting hobby.

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It is absolutely insane. I'm in a group on Facebook with dudes selling cards for $30k like 15 minutes after posting. People in other countries offering to pay for flights for buyers. Nuts

On December 30th, 2012 I bought a Lebron rookie card and an Anthony Davis rookie card off Ebay (Lebron $12 and AD $6) The Lebron is now worth $1,500 minimum and the AD is ~$800. I had a Giannis rookie card and two Curry rookie cards sitting in a box with cards that I hadn't filed away that I found on Christmas this year.

I'm not sure what I should be doing with them. My hunch is I should sell off any hot cards of players from the last few years and hold on to Lebron and my older 90s collection stuff which still isn't worth much.

I've got three Zion RCs I've opened recently and a Ja Morant, so those should pay off in the future.

I'm glad card trading is back. Hope it sticks around, it's a fun and exciting hobby.

Man the Curry and Giannis are found money, I'd sell. But I'm really bad at holding things, I always just want my money back as money leaves my hand. 

The Zion hype is so wild. I like Zion, but what is his peak, Blake Griffin? The hobby didn't give a shit about Blake Griffin and he played in LA.

I had an outstanding Kobe auto redemption when he died that they just replaced with a special pack that had an exclusive Kobe in it. I opened because it had been so long since I opened a pack and turns out the packs were like $3k out of the gate. But I did hit a Ja I sold for $1500 and the Kobe card for $500 so I can live with it. The auto was like a $100 card when I pulled it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeverOliver said:

Man the Curry and Giannis are found money, I'd sell. But I'm really bad at holding things, I always just want my money back as money leaves my hand.

haha and I'm the opposite. I am majorly hesitant to sell anything because I worry that it will be worth way more some day if I hold on to it.

It's pretty weird how some players are deemed worthless. Even guys like Embiid. You can still snag a Prizm RC of his for like $50. Why?

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

haha and I'm the opposite. I am majorly hesitant to sell anything because I worry that it will be worth way more some day if I hold on to it.

It's pretty weird how some players are deemed worthless. Even guys like Embiid. You can still snag a Prizm RC of his for like $50. Why?

Keldon Johnson, $30. Joel Embiid in a much more limited release? $50.
Baseball has a bad case of that as well. Bowman comes out and every damn 1st rounder is worth a fortune. Random high school long shot taken 17th overall? $300. Paul Goldschmidt right now? $125.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 5:58 PM, Mitch. said:

Anyone been watching much??

No, LeBron is still the face of our league and he sucks.

Excited for next year's playoffs though.

I am interested to see how Brooklyn turns out. It either is going to be killer to watch, or they will just combust like all 3 of them have proven to do with other egos.. Theirs might just work though.. They're all odd and laid back types.

On 1/31/2021 at 5:58 PM, Mitch. said:

Anyone been watching much??

I watch every Thunder game, kind of nice to not have the pressure to win anything and watch the young core develop.  DORT baby.

I also "picked" the Bucks as my other team to half-ass follow and honestly I'm so bored and frustrated every time I watch them.  Giannis needs to learn how to shoot a goddamn free throw.  It kind of reminds me of the Durant/Westbrook Thunder where the end of the game they have absolutely no clue what to do and end up with a triple-teamed 3 by Middleton to lose the game.

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, NeverOliver said:

You guys in to NBA Top Shot? Trying to get the hang of it, was able to buy the $14 pack this weekend and make $150 in a couple hours. Just bought a Steph 2327/35k for $99

Top Shot is the weirdest thing in the world to me.

Essentially you buy highlights and can sell them like stocks or collector items?

9 minutes ago, Yang Gun Kelly said:

Top Shot is the weirdest thing in the world to me.

Essentially you buy highlights and can sell them like stocks or collector items?

I guess as an NFT it’s kind of compared to crypto more than stocks? Not super sure. But yup, a lil 4 second clip you can get on YouTube for free. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 4:40 AM, NeverOliver said:

You guys in to NBA Top Shot? Trying to get the hang of it, was able to buy the $14 pack this weekend and make $150 in a couple hours. Just bought a Steph 2327/35k for $99

Weirdly, I've just found out about this over the past week. I know I've completely missed the boat in terms of making instant money, but I think long term with little investments, you could make a healthy little profit. I'm awaiting to open my first $9 pack this Thursday haha!

Since last summer, I've gotten back into watching NBA again - it's probably helped that Sky Sports have started showing it again in the UK. I've not actually picked a team yet but I do enjoy watching the Charlotte Hornets play, such a fun, young team, although they have gone of the rails a little bit the last couple of months due to injury. Gone from being the No.4 seed to No.10 (Lost two places in last night's defeat to Washington).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...