NBA

Mitch.

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Jayson Tator 🥔 done cranking air balls yet? For a guy who tries to channel Kobe and wears Tiger Woods shirts into the building, I expect more. I'm pretty sure he had 6 or more air balls in that game.

Kerr had always insisted Curry get his rest, has always gotten shit for it, and it has almost always worked out. Tatum and Brown last night playing 44 minutes and looked every bit of it by the end. 

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Jayson Tator 🥔 done cranking air balls yet? For a guy who tries to channel Kobe and wears Tiger Woods shirts into the building, I expect more. I'm pretty sure he had 6 or more air balls in that game.

The Kobe channeling was abysmally painful.  It only just proves to me how much no one can really be like Jordan, and definitely no one can be like Jordan's imitation (Kobe), or we get Jayson Tatum finals game 5.  I understand he's a good player and 'young' but at some point you gotta just impact the game in other ways and stop trying to take over..

I don't really get the Tatum negativity for what he wears etc - he's drawing inspiration from his idol. Bit weird that people are bringing that up - its an armband ffs. Athletes have been doing this is every sport since the dawn of time. 

He's also had an amazing season. Beating this GSW team is easier said than done.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NeverOliver said:

So what is the deal with Tatum and Kobe? I've read a lot of Tatum being made fun of, but I guess I've missed most of the Tatum..homages?

Is their game even that similar? I'm pretty sure Tatum doesn't have a dunk in the series.

Tatum trained with Kobe and has a handful of specials about his comparisons to Kobe.  Much of the talks about Tatum are how he manages to still play like Kobe/Jordan style ball effectively in the new era (aka turn around jump shots, mid range, etc).  I don't think it's that similar either, but most of it is the 'Kobe mentality' stuff.  It's his hero and stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roux said:

I don't really get the Tatum negativity for what he wears etc - he's drawing inspiration from his idol. Bit weird that people are bringing that up - its an armband ffs. Athletes have been doing this is every sport since the dawn of time. 

He's also had an amazing season. Beating this GSW team is easier said than done.  

Nothing wrong with Tatum as a player.  He's been awesome this year and this series plenty of the success can go to him.  But last night...man.  He was awful.  He deserves all the criticism.  It's not so much missing shots, it's the shots he was taking, missing free throws, trying to play hero ball, air balls, kobe turnaround stuff, etc.

30 minutes ago, I_Dont_Hate_Chesire said:

Nothing wrong with Tatum as a player.  He's been awesome this year and this series plenty of the success can go to him.  But last night...man.  He was awful.  He deserves all the criticism.  It's not so much missing shots, it's the shots he was taking, missing free throws, trying to play hero ball, air balls, kobe turnaround stuff, etc.

It's a sport - you can't play your best every game. Sometimes your best player has to take initiative and it doesn't always work out. Only 24yo and in his first finals - he'll learn. 

Anyway, he's a huge reason why Boston are in the finals in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Roux said:

It's a sport - you can't play your best every game. Sometimes your best player has to take initiative and it doesn't always work out. Only 24yo and in his first finals - he'll learn. 

Anyway, he's a huge reason why Boston are in the finals in the first place. 

I'm not disagreeing but did you watch him last night?  Bad game is a bad game.  But when you start throwing your hands up in a fit and forcing more bad shots you deserve the criticism.  

I still am a decent fan, I'm just saying last night he was awful.

48 minutes ago, I_Dont_Hate_Chesire said:

I'm not disagreeing but did you watch him last night?  Bad game is a bad game.  But when you start throwing your hands up in a fit and forcing more bad shots you deserve the criticism.  

I still am a decent fan, I'm just saying last night he was awful.

But that has nothing to do with Kobe being his idol - a bad game is a bad game, he'll have plenty more in his career. All great players did the same thing - overcompensating for mistakes. 

Nobody is above criticism, but i can't hate on a player for trying to elevate his team, even if it backfires. 

24 minutes ago, Roux said:

But that has nothing to do with Kobe being his idol - a bad game is a bad game, he'll have plenty more in his career. All great players did the same thing - overcompensating for mistakes. 

Nobody is above criticism, but i can't hate on a player for trying to elevate his team, even if it backfires. 

They're talking about how Kobe would always put up a bunch of shots regardless of outcome.  It's just an old mindset which is why everyone was giving him crap about trying to 'Kobe' everything instead when his shot was off and there is other players on the team like Brown who can create some.

3 minutes ago, I_Dont_Hate_Chesire said:

They're talking about how Kobe would always put up a bunch of shots regardless of outcome.  It's just an old mindset which is why everyone was giving him crap about trying to 'Kobe' everything instead when his shot was off and there is other players on the team like Brown who can create some.

have you seen Brown try to drive the basketball?  Sometimes it looks like he can't dribble.  Tatum's team, take as many shots as you want.  They'll win or lose on his play, how the NBA's always been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

have you seen Brown try to drive the basketball?  Sometimes it looks like he can't dribble.  Tatum's team, take as many shots as you want.  They'll win or lose on his play, how the NBA's always been.

Yeah it's pretty bad, and everyone is just okay at driving on that team.

I don't disagree at all, I'm just saying that's why he was getting the Kobe disses and deserves it if he misses that much and that bad. I totally agree, same with the Jimmy Butler 3, they're NBA players after all, best shot doesn't always exist in basketball (shot clock, defensive schemes). But he totally can take the criticism too if he has that bad a game. It happens, but so does the criticism. I'm not knocking his legacy or anything at this point, just that game. He was bad

12 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Absolutely. Boston have had incredible team chemistry this past few months, but even that isn't enough - Tatum very often can be the deciding factor - win or lose, let him do his thing. 

i hope we get at least a game 7 - but i got the impression the Warriors weren't even trying until game 4 and they just went up another level after that. 

He's not the only one trying to co-opt the Kobe legacy. It's annoying in general. Dressing in matching Kobe outfits in Finals practices? Egh. Less talk and fluff, more results please. Kobe does not support playoff choking (Booker) and especially Finals Air Balls (Tator).

Make me eat my shit talk

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Ghent said:

He's not the only one trying to co-opt the Kobe legacy. It's annoying in general. Dressing in matching Kobe outfits in Finals practices? Egh. Less talk and fluff, more results please. Kobe does not support playoff choking (Booker) and especially Finals Air Balls (Tator).

Make me eat my shit talk

The fact that this annoys you is embarrassing tbh - its nothing. 

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Doing Kobe cosplay and blabbing about Mamba Mentality, while choking hard in the Finals. These guys need to prove something before running their mouths. That's what's embarrassing.

Right, Kobe took ton of shit until he finally started coming through. Once either of these Kobe stans prove it, then the shit talking will mellow.  They brought it on themselves.

To further add, Booker and Tatum got the talent, but I'm not 100% sure they have Kobe's talent tbh.  They might need to consider playing better team ball.  Like Kobe was a demon at driving the ball and creating for himself.  These two are about 60-70% of that at best. Booker can shoot better but is way smaller.  Tatum is longer but can move nearly like Kobe could.

Maybe they should drop it. Both teams are good enough to win without them hero-ing it in today's game.

• Like 1