NBA

Mitch.

3 minutes ago, LizzosChrisCrocker said:

I mean…I’ve never played basketball at a high level for 20 years…but I did grow babies 6 years apart & I FELT that 6years. Daily. My body was built for this, but age absolutely played a factor in how I felt & what I felt capable of doing…

48 minutes is a lot at that age, at that level, especially being the #1…

I’m not even a Bron fan, just a basketball fan. Dude did everything he could, IMO. Bron is still getting plenty of hate, just not from me. 

get it but he's a professional athlete and this is his job.  He rests/takes load management during the season so he can push longer minutes in the playoffs.  48 minutes isn't as much as ya'll are making it out to be. Players have done this all the time.  I do get he won't be as effective, and he's already going longer years than expected.  It's just this always happens..

It's not his fault in the slightest though for losing the series, just saying, he could have made it more interesting at the end, or not got swept, if he was more Jimmy Butler/Jordan-esque. 

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

If anything, he should have just said fuck his teammates and started ball hogging in the second half. Their best chance at winning that game was a 38 year old rough housing, pretty sad on the rest of the players parts

I can agree with that. And with the amount of media shit in his head since like age 15 probably gets to him, unfairly, more than other stars have dealt with.  It's just unfortunate this is a constant thing that happens, he gets super bricky and slow and give-upey at the end of big games.  He always has.  It just bothers me, okay if it doesn't you.  It doesn't take away from his greatness, just not my cup of tea.  Those things don't show up on a stat sheet though so your narrative will always win out in an argument.

I'll admit though that it probably is social media era driving a lot of the over criticisms. 

If this was 1990 and Bron had all these moments, good and bad, it'd probably be a lot more peaceful in terms of his criticism and we'd appreciate his dedication to the game and lack of controversy more (off the court).

I mean, my favorite player Vince Carter would do the same thing.  Sometimes he'd be an absolute beast and take over games like none other.  Sometimes he'd let the game come to himself too much in important games or quarters, start thinking about the next thing win or lose, and not go for the kill. 

Part of why I'd like them (unselfishness), part of why they'd let you down in big moments. 

At of the day, I'd much rather be a fan of Lebron, Vince, who are good dudes off the court too, but wish they had that killer sometimes in the big playoff moments more often than not like the crazed dudes like Jordan, Kobe, etc, who never let a moment pass.

Is what it is 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for my soap box this morning.

I've always hated the circle jerk of who is top 5 and who is overrated. It's why I can't listen to ESPN or any other talking head. I especially hate when people say a certain player would suck if he played in the 80's or 90's. The game is continually changing and its such a shitty talking point.

Lets just enjoy basketball for what it is and appreciate greatness while we can. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I've retired from caring about that stuff. I used to be a Lebron hater. Just grateful to watch him still playing now. It's been so long that who fucking knows who is better and how the eras would compare. Pointless discussion.

Lebron and Jordans games aren't anything alike. No one would compare MJ with Kareem. I think it's just that Lebron came on as the Second Cumming of MJ while MJ was still fresh on peoples minds. People weren't ready for it so they dug in on defense.

But 20 years have passed. Let it go!

• Like 2

How's that greatness though? Like what happened to your standards? 

I don't compare or rank based on era differences either, but dude's a lil bitch down the stretch often, I don't label that 'greatness'.

He's a great player though and the absolute best hybrid player we've ever seen (does it all, even better than Magic).

Thanks for your soft takes though.

Top 8. #8 likely.

All the best players in history have had moments where they cant get it done at the end of games. I'm a massive Kobe fan and i remember so many times he crumbled in the 4th and couldnt make a shot. It doesn't take away their greatness. What a shitty take. 

• Like 1

I think people underestimate how hard it is for a professional athlete over 30yo to continue playing at the highest level - injuries hurt more, recovery takes longer and you're competing with a younger generation who studied your game. 

For me, MJ is the greatest ever, but what Lebron has done and is still doing demands respect. The skill and effort he put into the Lakers playoff run was very impressive. 

I personally don't need to shit on people just because they don't make a top 5 list or had some low points in a pretty illustrious career. 

• Like 3

I think a lot of people just don't like Lebron because he's been vocal about racial issues. They make up shit about his game to attack, but the root of the hate is somewhere else.

• Crab 1

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I think a lot of people just don't like Lebron because he's been vocal about racial issues. They make up shit about his game to attack, but the root of the hate is somewhere else.

The, “Shut up and dribble,”  demographic. Yep, they absolutely exist. 

• Like 1

Lol great to wake up to.  Typed and deleted.   You answered this well for me. 

It's the money thing for me too.  It's just too much money to make to chill & load manage vs put it all out there till the buzzer, all 48 minutes.  I just feel like it's way too soft, but I understand if basketball was never physical (like it maybe should have not ever been) this wouldn't be a talking point. 

Don't give a fuck what someone says on their social medias after a game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roux said:

I think people underestimate how hard it is for a professional athlete over 30yo to continue playing at the highest level - injuries hurt more, recovery takes longer and you're competing with a younger generation who studied your game. 

For me, MJ is the greatest ever, but what Lebron has done and is still doing demands respect. The skill and effort he put into the Lakers playoff run was very impressive. 

I personally don't need to shit on people just because they don't make a top 5 list or had some low points in a pretty illustrious career. 

We're talking about the end of games.  Not talking about any of this.  I feel like as a sports fan I'm allowed to be bothered by that, you can not, that's fine. I don't like when a player of his caliber influences the idea of shaking hands before the games even over or 30+ seconds.  He's done this. I just hate it, that's me though.

For the record, I didn't like when Giannis went on and started saying there's no such thing as losing when Butler just annihilated them as the 1 seed first round. 

2 minutes ago, Kelsey Kardashian said:

For the record, I didn't like when Giannis went on and started saying there's no such thing as losing when Butler just annihilated them as the 1 seed first round. 

to be fair he said he didn't feel like the season was a "failure"...not anything about losing.  Giannis is a massive competitor and was playing through a back injury.