Foo Fighters Saint Cecilia

Knapppers

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

The problem is they're going into a excesive pretencious way. I mean, we get the point. They really got it at Wembley and what not. They delivered a great record with Wasting Light, but Sonic Highways is their particular 21st Century Breakdown. They need to go back to the basics. Not only with the recording process, but on the approach.

Yeah, so true. The whole Sonic Highway thing seemed pretencious. Like, we are the best band in the world now, so we are going to record a different song in a different city with a different famous musician and write a really cool movie with it.

But the thing they forgot to do was write good songs.

Kind of sounds like the Tom Delonge effect.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foo Fighters, they are great, but they need to maybe take a pause and reflect or something.

• Like 1

I can see how the concept might sound pretentious i guess, but if you actually watch the TV series (which everyone should because its great), you can see its anything but. Every song has a guest musician, some of which aren't even famous people.

It's just a great series and really compliments the album. Every song feels important because of the show.

• Like 2

Yep, little bit of that. I must confess that, knowing the big -and diverse- musical baggage they all have, I was excited for that idea when they announced it. I thought: damn, that's a cool idea! But it was because I thought they would be diving way deeeeeeeeeper on the musical roots of every place. Of course, that woudln't be a real Foo's project -or not as people expect it to be-, but it could have been much more interesting: just to do a proper and deeper research. New Orleans was cool, for example, but it has a lot more to offer. I mean, when we are talking about musicicians with some musical and cultural level, I'm expecting something better if we're talking about a roject like that, and Sonic Highways failed at several chapters. I remember being bored watching some of them.

And yeah, Oli, I still love them too. They have been re-launched to the mainstream on the last years, and I feel like they've been set on a very comfortable zone, but they can still produce a few good songs in every album. Is not enoug, though.

• Like 1

So you don't want them to be "excessively pretentious," but you DID want them to completely change their sound for all of the Sonic Highways songs and "dig deeper" into the musical roots of every place?

To me, THAT would be pretentious. For them to try to master other genres that they have no business in would be too much.

• Like 1

listen to the first album which dave did every instrument  by himself, and then listen to this shit. it's not even close.  really, ever since chris schifflet joined the band they havent been as good. maybe its just a coincidence because dave writes most of it. i dont know.

the first 3 albums are all special in their own way. the first is like totally garage rock. TCATS is like total perfection. has something for everyone. the 3rd albums just has some great songs on it, and dave used an AC30 for all the guitars and it sounds so cool

Be warned, this is gonna be a rant.

It didn't do much for me and I still believe that TINLTL is their best record. Ever since then especially Dave seems to have the need to make a grand statement with every record, One by One were supposed to be loud as shit and the production make the good songs sound like shit aswell, IYH was boring because they felt the need to either make every song a scream fest or a mellow downer with no middle ground, especially the rock side gets extremely boring and repetetive, ESP&G was them trying to prove they could combine acoustic and rock and the album is a mess with a loooot of filler.

Then we have Wasting Light which I feel is just pretentious all the way through even though most of the songs are good. I don't really give a shit that they recorded it in a garage or on tape, if that's what they want - fine, but to act all high and mighty because you decided to not use computers and say that everyone can do it just seems smug to me. They really tried to act like everyone could do what they did when in reality no new band can get the best equipment out there, turn their garage into a kick-ass studio and hire one of the best producers in the business to produce it. If my old high school band tried to that it would sound like shit because we can't afford to do all that and computers have really helped a lot of new bands to record their music cheaper. They did the same thing with TINTL which they recorded in Dave's basement on computer with a friend as producer without acting all preachy about it.

Also their live show has gotten quite boring, I don't know why they feel the need to drag every song out for 10 minutes with same sounding riffs in all of the extensions. Probably because that's what Dave think "rock bands" do and if it's one thing I've learned about Foo Fighters the past couple of years is that they constantly need to remind people that they are a rock & roll band who play rock music at rock shows. 

Rant over.

Headwires, MIA, Normal, Aurora and Everlong are still some of my favorite songs of all time though, why Normal didn't make One by One is beyond my understanding.

• Like 1