TDW Behind the Scenes

redhotbrianpeppers

When blink originally split, my 14-year old boner was pointed primarily towards Tom. (My mom's much older boner directed itself more concisely towards Mark, not that you wanted to know). I was excited for WDNTW, and even bet my friend that it would be better than TBS's Louder Now. I haven't listened to the first AVA album in years, but I was certainly disappointed. I liked a few songs, but Mark really summed it up with his tell-all interview when he said that Tom took these great ideas and then didn't convert a solid chorus, etc. The album was mostly boring and gay (no offense to you, Cheerios, we are all very supportive of your lifestyle).   

I mostly didn't give a fuck about AVA through the years, but downloaded TDW while living in a tiny cabin in New Zealand a year ago. I liked it. It was weird and 80s and Tom sang melodies that I hadn't heard from him before.

Watching the little making-of documentary was very interesting to me. It took a year to make!?! Who's that fatter, jewier version of Ilan working producing??? What would a fatter, jewier version of Tom look like???? I shudder at the thought.

Have you gotten this far into my essay? Wow, get a fucking life. I've been drinking alone in my room and filling the empties with my own piss for hours now.

What struck me in this particular documentary is that Tom had so much respect for this smelly-headed albino negro that he basically relinquished the majority of his creative control on the album. I could cite multiple times where he essentially said, "I let this curly-headed NIN jew-boy take charge of this album and then took a year to figure out vocal melodies to go along with it." I did post a direct quote of this in the main AVA discussion. 

Anyways, I'm trying to wank, but I'm too drunk and my dick won't get hard. It's like trying to uncook a noodle.

To sum things 41, I think the approach to TDW is more or less the healthy way to go about crafting an album. Tom recognized that Ilan was more talented than himself and let him take control. He also recognized that he understands and writes music more emotionally, and I think that input and attention to detail helped the album succeed.

It all serves to highlight what could have been, considering his ego-clash failure with Mark in terms of who was the main musical songwriter and who was the emotional/ lyrical input. Hey, maybe my theory still stands that they needed Jerry Finn all along.

With that said, it also struck me that at one point Tom said that Ilan was a 1 million times better guitar player than him. That's not true. Computer-Jew Ilan's guitar parts sound technically great, but skater-fuck Tom in the 90s accomplished more with a guitar than Ilan ever could. I hope Tom can one day appreciate his own music. Why can't he? Was every blink riff stolen from a band that we've never heard of?

Anyhow, Israel should have never been a nation, and the jews are responsible for most of the atrocities facing the world today. Shalom.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, darkarrow said:

Complex does not always equal better.  Just sayin....

Not always but in regards to ilan I think it does. its not my style, but New Regime is good shit. Tom is one of the most mediocre guitarists really. it still amazes me that a man who's entire career, fame and fortune is surrounded by an instrument he's been playing for like 20 years still hasn't bothered to actually learn how to play it properly. 

56 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

ilan will always be remembered as one of tom delonge's puppets. i doubt anyone outside the ava world knows new regime at all. boring projects of boring artists don't deserve any attention.

Well, the bands currently supporting Muse on a few shows... so I don't think they're that unknown outside of AVA. Ilan had quite a big career before Tom, considering he worked with Paramore and NIN, both of which are miles bigger than AVA. like seriously, I don't know why I'm defending him so much because I don't like Ilan as a person particularly, but he is definitely not a Tom puppet. if he was he'd be sticking around and he isn't. 

i liked the dream walker a lot, and these videos tend to show why. ilan had a heavy hand in most of the album... as though tom got someone to write it for him. which kudos to him, understanding that his U2 shtick (some of which is still present on TDW) was growing old. i appreciated the album a lot, so these behind the scenes vids are pretty fascinating.

On 12/12/2015 at 1:04 AM, Kevin. said:

oh man. those videos were hard to watch. tom is such a jackass. he must be absolutely impossible to work with. he's totally lost his mind. 

Honestly I couldn't last a second watching Tom's behind the scene footage, let alone watch all parts (four parts were released rights?)

All boring, and probably just more pretentious shit coming from a guy who (either is suffer a mid-life crises or who...) lost his mind during his midlife crisis days.