SW The Force Awakens [SPOILER THREAD]

Ghent

14 minutes ago, MSandt said:

Well that's odd. Aren't you a Star Wars fan? Why settle for mediocrity?

I am a Star Wars fan who recognizes what the franchise has always been: popcorn blockbusters.  People looking for and expecting something super deep and meaningful in this series truly confuses me as I've never thought that's what this series is or ever was meant to be. 

Having said that, being such a film is not an excuse for mediocrity, as this film certainly exceeds being mediocre.   If it was mediocre, I'd be giving it shit like I do the prequels, which definitely do fit that bill. 

It's as I said, you'd think being a popcorn blockbuster would be an easy enough task, yet we still get graced with films that fail at keeping us engaged or at even staying entertaining, again, look at any of the Transformers movies and you should understand what I'm saying.   This film did exactly what I expected it to, keep me engaged and entertained.  Far from the best movie ever, but certainly enjoyable. 

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The highest grossing movie of all time: total pillar of mediocrity. Jfc, some of the shit thrown around in here is ridic

Well to be fair, I'll argue until the day I die that Avatar was a mediocre film at best, frankly I think that's a very boring film but with very pretty visuals. Making a lot of money by no means is an indication that the film itself is actually good (again look at all the money those Transformers movies make).

Having said that, MSandT is the only one arguing that it is mediocre. I think it's a good enjoyable movie. 

5 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Avatar sucks. It's a gorgeous movie, but that's about all it has going for it. I can't believe we are getting three more Avatar movies.

I think James Cameron is gonna be in for a big surprise with how much comparatively less those sequels will make.  I've seen a lot of people that watched the movie in theaters say they won't be going back for those sequels, I include myself with that group, I seriously have zero interest in Avatar having seen that first one. 

Im not a big fan of Avatar, but I can see why it was appealing to such a broad range of people. Plus it was pioneering 3D tech and looked amazing. 

To call that movie mediocre is also ridiculous IMO. Overrated, yeah, but not mediocre.

54 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Im not a big fan of Avatar, but I can see why it was appealing to such a broad range of people. Plus it was pioneering 3D tech and looked amazing. 

To call that movie mediocre is also ridiculous IMO. Overrated, yeah, but not mediocre.

Indeed, in that case though, can you also see why Star Wars is making the money that it is?   I mean if this was like the 5th Star Wars movie in 7 years or something like that,  there is no way it would be making nearly the amount of money it is or breaking the records that it is. 

I think calling Avatar a mediocre film is being generous.  It's not a good or engaging movie.  Is boring and relies almost entirely on good visuals.   For me you still need a good plot and interesting characters which Avatar did not have.   Frankly i think it's a bad movie. 

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Indeed, in that case though, can you also see why Star Wars is making the money that it is?   I mean if this was like the 5th Star Wars movie in 7 years or something like that,  there is no way it would be making nearly the amount of money it is or breaking the records that it is. 

I think calling Avatar a mediocre film is being generous.  It's not a good or engaging movie.  Is boring and relies almost entirely on good visuals.   For me you still need a good plot and interesting characters which Avatar did not have.   Frankly i think it's a bad movie. 

It's gonna destroy Episode 1 box office stats, and that movie was coming after a longer SW drought than this one. 

There has to be quality to perform like this one is. 

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

It's gonna destroy Episode 1 box office stats, and that movie was coming after a longer SW drought than this one. 

There has to be quality to perform like this one is. 

It continues to do well because the movie isn't shit,  but it was going to do well regardless (in the same way that the prequels did well regardless of their quality), pre-sale tickets alone were breaking records, hype is a huge reason that this film continues to make money, not so much the actual quality of the movie itself.  I'm not saying this is a bad film, but people that equate ticket sales with the quality of the film are fools.  If that was truly the correlation, The Godfather or Citizen Kane would be the highest grossing films, and any Adam Sandler movie of the past decade would have made no money.

If the sequels answer of any of our questions about Rey, that doesn't make TFA any better as a standalone film.

Also, it is in no way hinted at in the movie that there is some clear explanation for Rey's immense power, no one was saying that stuff before complaints about Rey became clear after the dust had settled.

Besides some click baity Mary Sue stuff, the only real complaints I've heard about Rey or the movie in general are in this thread.

Everyone I know loved the movie and loved Rey. Even people who had never seen SW. My dad hates sci-fi...he loved the movie and Rey. Same for my wife, who has seen it twice now.

• Like 1

I certainly think it's a mediocre film. 

And who cares how much money it makes? Popularity does not determine quality.

And Ghent it's fine if you like the movie, but the opinion on it is shifting. There's a pretty even split on NeoGAF (one of, if not the most popular gaming forums in the world) and if you search YT there are a large number of people who disliked/hated this movie, some even saying it is worse than the prequels (which I agree with, as I think the prequels are OK due to having low lows mixed with high highs, whereas this film just did nothing interesting for me ever).

I'm actually surprised the opinion on this is/was as high as it is/was, because the plot (the stuff with the ridiculous Starkiller) of this movie basically shits on the OT if you think about it - invalidating it through redundancy. 

Edited by decisions

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

that's my biggest complaint about the movie is that it makes the last three seem almost pointless. Like, nothing really changed. War all the time who gives a shit.

Isn't that the truth though.  I mean did anyone believe that the Empire was just going to disappear after Return of the Jedi?  Something that big can never truly be destroyed.  Think of it like music sharing, when Napster first appeared, it changed everything, the RIAA tried to take it down, and in doing so, more engines appeared to download your music, those were attempted to be shut down, but only more and more started popping up.  Look around you today, getting free music online is one of the easiest things to do.  Try as you might, you can't stop something that big and that powerful.  

39 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

So what's the point of the movies if you can't stop the empire?

Well if you do want to get deep about it.  It's just a commentary on war.  War is inevitable and never truly ends.  Look around, the Civil War never really ended, the effects of WWII continue to ripple today (never mind the fact that WWII was a direct result of WWI).  Christ, the Crusades from a thousand years ago continues to effect our world today through the likes of the taliban and ISIS.  Its all bleak as hell, but if you decide to zoom in at any one instance of these wars, you can find good stories to be told, and that's all it is. 

That's if the Star Wars movies really do have some deep meaning behind them.  I think the reality is, that while what I said is true, the creators and writers just use war between other planets as a good backdrop for a science-fantasy-fiction set of films.  War is the mechanism that will allow Star Wars to continue to make movies indefinitely because of the fact that you can never truly stop such war.