Paramore

Ghost

You know what? Being totally honest, and liking some of the songs they did until Brand New Eyes, I'd be pretty bored if they would have stepped back into that sound. So, well, After Laughter is not the best thing in the world, but sounds fresh for them, so I'm in.

Kevin, not bad what you posted. But I preffer what Paramore have tryed.

according to the credits, they did write this record. It sounds absolutely nothing like Katy Perry so I don't really know what you're going for with that. Too many real instruments, for a start. 

i'm clearly getting at the fact that it just sounds like something a typical pop star would put out. i get that you openly confessed your love for the record one page back and said you never liked this band before, but they've gone way downhill since Brand New Eyes and have desperately been trying to mimic other pop records since then in order to find relevancy. they're even more of a gimmick now then they were in the past (which i thought was impossible) with their costumes. 

45 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

i'm clearly getting at the fact that it just sounds like something a typical pop star would put out. i get that you openly confessed your love for the record one page back and said you never liked this band before, but they've gone way downhill since Brand New Eyes and have desperately been trying to mimic other pop records since then in order to find relevancy. they're even more of a gimmick now then they were in the past (which i thought was impossible) with their costumes. 

Except last time I checked Katy Perry wasn't channeling 80s new wave?

My point is that yes, it's very poppy, way poppier than stuff I would usually listen to either but it's been done pretty damn well, with decent instrumentation, lyrical themes and composition - I don't mind bands going pop if they do it in a non totally soulless and creative way. I can understand being a disgruntled fan now but I don't see this change as particularly inauthentic either. I mean hell, you could argue due to Hayleys relative age and the turmoil of issues in the band itself over the years, that this genre hopping isn't actually marketing related and is more down to growing and changing as a person. Isn't she only like 26 now? when Paramore started she was basically a kid, it shouldn't be too much of a leap to assume that the work would change over time. 

Them wearing costumes isn't a big deal, loads of bands have done stuff like this for years for live performances (like blink performing at MTV dressed like the first date video, for example?) and it's just a way to stand out, it doesn't mean the music itself is a gimmick. 

Well, definitely they have an 80s vibe in their new record. But having a 'vibe' doesn't mean sounding exactly as... I don't know, Bowie in that era? Blondie?

Anyway, talking about their old shit, I really enjoyed Hallelujah and, specially, Where The Lines Overlap back in the day.

• Like 1

This is the first Paramore album I liked. Their old records were pretty generic pop-punk for young audience, while this record channels new wave/80's vibe I really like. Some songs even remind me of Talking Heads, guitar/bass/drums work is smart and skillful. The whole record feels a lot more more genuine than their previous ones, and not trying to appeal to anyone - they do what they want. And as everyone can see the record is much less successful commercially then California and Paramore's previous records for that matter, but artistically it's definitely a winner. 

For anyone liking the record I would recommend checking some modern indie new wave revival bands: Porches, Neon Indian, Toro Y Moi and so on.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

This is the first Paramore album I liked. Their old records were pretty generic pop-punk for young audience, while this record channels new wave/80's vibe I really like. Some songs even remind me of Talking Heads, guitar/bass/drums work is smart and skillful. The whole record feels a lot more more genuine than their previous ones, and not trying to appeal to anyone - they do what they want. And as everyone can see the record is much less successful commercially then California and Paramore's previous records for that matter, but artistically it's definitely a winner. 

For anyone liking the record I would recommend checking some modern indie new wave revival bands: Porches, Neon Indian, Toro Y Moi and so on.

Is that true? because I've heard hard times on the radio and seen ads and stuff for it everywhere whilst with California it felt like no one knew it existed. I'm curious about the sales results. 

Hard times was stuck I. My head all day the other day but I'm still not arsed on it. Like I wouldn't go out my way to listen to it. I'll give the album a go but I've heard a few songs and it's just meh 

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Is that true? because I've heard hard times on the radio and seen ads and stuff for it everywhere whilst with California it felt like no one knew it existed. I'm curious about the sales results. 

After Laughter debuted at number six on the US Billboard 200, making it their third top 10 on the chart, with 67,000 album-equivalent units, of which 53,000 were pure album sales.[58] It also debuted within the top 10 of seven other countries including Australia, Austria, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland and the UK.

California debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, moving 186,000 equivalent album units; it sold 172,000 copies in its first week, with the remainder of its unit total reflecting the album's streaming activity and track sales.[76] It marked the band's second number one album and first in over 15 years, when Take Off Your Pants and Jacket debuted at number one in 2001. It also knocked Drake's Views from the summit after having spent nine weeks at the top.[76] The album became the band's first to top the charts in the United Kingdom, selling 24,000 copies in its debut week.[77] The album also managed to reach higher chart positions worldwide than its predecessor Neighborhoods and outsold both its first-week and total sales in the US.[78] As of January 1, 2017, California has sold 408,000 units in the United States; making it the ninth best selling rock album of 2016.[79]

I also don't find it to be typical pop star stuff to be honest. It reminds me a lot of Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, with a lot of 80s new wave/pop/Paul Simon.

I don't know much about the band but I read in an article recently that their older pop punk style was generally influenced written by their old guitarist, and after he left the band the bassist started writing a lot of the music (I think?) which had a lot more of this rhythmic/poppy/new wavey vibe. I know they were originally somewhat packaged and styled for the Hot Topic world but I THINK they have at least controlled their own sound for the most part.

5 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I also don't find it to be typical pop star stuff to be honest. It reminds me a lot of Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, with a lot of 80s new wave/pop/Paul Simon.

Yeah it's definitely not typical pop star stuff. Most mainstream pop today focuses on vocals--and Hayley has a great and distinctive voice, but she is also versatile with her style, unlike many pop stars who sing the same way across the board. Plus the instrumentation of the album is not EDM / trap influenced like most of the pop out there today (see Katy Perry's new songs), and it doesn't take a backseat to the vocals--it is just as important on this record. Which is great. That's what makes great pop music imo.

• Like 1