Dude Ranch Amp Settings?

MBlink182

On 11/5/2020 at 1:05 AM, Depf said:

@blinkstillrules can you record a guitar track digitally? I'm thinking amp into loadbox or direct out.

one of your guitar tracks, one of mine, simulate a marshall 4x12 

Sorry dude I can't. I don't have an interface or loadbox or anything. I'd love to.

I'm looking into getting an attenuator for my Mesa Single Rec, and one of the requirements is it has a headphone jack (for playing when my son is sleeping) and a loadbox.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

the recording sounds totally different from IWBFC.

To me, IWBHFC has the crunch that we hear on Dude Ranch, specifically on the lead riffs. Plus, it makes more sense they recorded a Christmas song in December (in this case, 1996). I think Mutt with Scott is the Mesa Dual Rectifier Rackmount because it doesn’t have that crunch IWBHFC and DR are known for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Q182 said:

To me, IWBHFC has the crunch that we hear on Dude Ranch, specifically on the lead riffs. Plus, it makes more sense they recorded a Christmas song in December (in this case, 1996). I think Mutt with Scott is the Mesa Dual Rectifier Rackmount because it doesn’t have that crunch IWBHFC and DR are known for.

I'm starting to think you're right. But the bass doesn't sound like the Ernie Ball to me. I wish I could isolate the bass to be sure. You're probably right though.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, blinkstillrules said:

@daveyjones @Depf

What do we think about "I Won't Be Home For Christmas", Mesa or Ampeg? @Q182 thinks Ampeg. I know Rob has said it was recorded with Mutt in Fall '97, but I have the original version of Mutt from The Show soundtrack and the recording sounds totally different from IWBFC.

probably separately mixed and mastered. scott's drums sound the same.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, Q182 said:

Plus, it makes more sense they recorded a Christmas song in December (in this case, 1996).

nah, we've got confirmation from @veeRob that it was fall 1997. and i heard mark play the christmas song at his apartment in october after it was "just finished." both that and "mutt" were the same trombino session.

4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

scott's drums sound the same.

Forgot to mention this as well. But if the album (dude ranch) & song (Christmas) are sonically identical, it doesn’t add up that they were done in separate sessions.

My question is since Christmas and Mutt were done in the same session, why don’t they sound the same?

3 hours ago, Q182 said:

Forgot to mention this as well. But if the album (dude ranch) & song (Christmas) are sonically identical, it doesn’t add up that they were done in separate sessions.

My question is since Christmas and Mutt were done in the same session, why don’t they sound the same?

because the mix/master is different, and tom probably used both heads. and even different guitars; the sticker strat and he had at least one gibson les paul by this time.

we have confirmation from rob that the two songs were done in the same session. end of story.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

because the mix/master is different, and tom probably used both heads. and even different guitars; the sticker strat and he had at least one gibson les paul by this time.

Very true! Not doubting the dates, was going by what I heard.

So since it’s fall 1997, I’m guessing along the lines of @blinkstillrules. He had the kitchen sink with him for that session, since we’ve got two different tones on our hands. I’ll always be partial to that dude ranch crunch.

31 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

Agreed and it sounds like he did. Just odd to me they're mixed and mastered differently when recorded together. IWBHFC definitely sounds like sticker strat and the Ampeg or a Marshall. Mutt I hear Mesa and a Les Paul.

well, christmas was promo only, and mutt was for a soundtrack. so the mastering was different by default. also, could have been one was mixed by trombino and the other by some like lord alge. i'd have to check the credits in my CDs and see if anyone is listed.

once last thought: since christmas was a promo-only for radio airplay, it makes total sense it was mixed to sound like DR. whereas "mutt" was given the b-side treatment, almost like a demo.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:58 PM, daveyjones said:

well, christmas was promo only, and mutt was for a soundtrack. so the mastering was different by default. also, could have been one was mixed by trombino and the other by some like lord alge. i'd have to check the credits in my CDs and see if anyone is listed.

once last thought: since christmas was a promo-only for radio airplay, it makes total sense it was mixed to sound like DR. whereas "mutt" was given the b-side treatment, almost like a demo.

I have the original xmas promo, it only shows Trombino producing it on the limited notes it has.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...