Dude Ranch Amp Settings?

MBlink182

1 hour ago, Ash-517 said:

I had a go with my Boss Katana 100 mkii trying to recreate the tone from Dammit. I think I got in the ballpark but there's a certain character to the midrange I can't quite nail down. It somehow sounds scooped and very middy all at the same time. I opted for scooping the mids since I run my amp with a boss sd-1 in front anyhow.

Here are my settings:

bi1fQsW.jpg

UhK3iAE.jpg

Sounds pretty good for what you're working with. The palm mutes in the verses sounded "chunkier" than the actual song but they sounded good. That's a nice tone you dialed in. I have the boss Kitana mini. Great little amp for what it is. Boss SD-1 is a great overdrive too. I used to like stacking it with a green Russian big muff for doom metal.

"Dammit" definitely mids heavy to my ears. It's got that Marshall sound to it that makes me think Ampeg VL or possibly a studio Marshall. I would love to know for sure. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, mil182 said:

I can totally see that! Out of all of the tube heads I’ve owned, I’ve never owned a Marshall. Most of the JCM heads I’ve played (800, 900 & 2000) sounded too thin for my taste. The one Marshall I really enjoyed was a 50 watt 900 my friend owned. I’ve never seen any VL heads used in any of my local shops over the years, otherwise I would’ve Forsure tried one. But I will probably make an effort to buy one online eventually. 

I just got the 50 watt JCM 900 Dual Reverb.

It's definitely thinner than my Ampeg and Mesa. You need to use more bass/low than I'm used to.

• 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough on discord to chat directly with Mark Hoppus himself about Dude Ranch and the amp Tom used. Long story short he texted Tom right on the spot to ask him if he remembered which amp he used. Tom said he thinks it was his Marshall.

Tom does own an 800 now as well as still owning the same 900 Dual Reverb he owned in the late 90s. AFAIK the only Marshall he owned back then was the 900 but we didn't see it in his live rig until late 1997/early 1998.

I tried my 900 yesterday with the sticker strat and I really thought it was close.

So my thoughts are it really might be the JCM900. The Ampeg I think it's very close and even possible it was the Ampeg but it always seemed to me to have too much gain/beefiness to it. DR seems thinner esp when you listen to the isolated guitar. Isolating the guitar really let's you hear what gets lost in the mix

The palm muted verses make me think 900. It's thinner than the Ampeg and that's what the isolated guitar track sounds like to me.. thinner, but good.

But hey maybe I'm just wrong altogether.

Tom may very well be remembering correctly. And if it was a JCM900, was it his or someone else's (studio) and that's why he ended up getting one?

We know Tom stopped using the Ampeg in Jan 1997 and started using a Mesa Boogie rackmounted Dual Rectifier. In fall/late 97, that was swapped for his first Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and he also around that time added a Marshall JCM 900 4100 Dual Reverb to his live rig.

@daveyjones @Depf

@mil182 @Q182

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...