Dude Ranch Amp Settings?

MBlink182

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2016 at 3:28 AM, theHELL182 said:

Get a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, 4x12 Mesa Boogie Cabinet and a Gibson Les Paul.

yea, if you want the live sound from late 97 on.
in terms of the actual recording (and live sound 95–97), MIM strat into ampeg VL1002 and marshall cab.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea, if you want the live sound from late 97 on.
in terms of the actual recording (and live sound 95–97), MIM strat into ampeg VL1002 and marshall cab.

I recommend getting one of these if you want the sound from the '97 Warped Tour videos:

mesa-boogie-dual-rectifier-rackmount-207

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Rackmount. A lot of SoCal punk bands besides blink used these, such as Strung Out and No Use For A Name to name a few.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Dude ranch record was Fender strat Dimarzio going into mesa boogie, rhythm parts mixed with les Paul at times. Mostly, the strat dimarzio set up. Very apparent on Emo, lemmings, pathetic, dammit, waggy, untitled, a new hope... I know that tone very well. The les Paul Tom was using on tour was equipped with an invader duncan, which would later be carried over to the signature strat for EOTS. He could have well recorded on an invader Duncan LP, but it sounds like mostly a strat, sometimes mixed with LP again. TOPAJ, was def strat Duncan, lespaul P90, or any standard les Paul pickup, same with the next album... If you want chechire tones, that’s strat dimarZio into ampeg, Marshall... you’ll def get that tone if you had 250k pots in your strat. If you want Buddha tone, that’s overdriven single coil. The mic pre- amp also changed with the addition of jerry fin. The sound of this preamp, Chandler TG2 also has lots to do with the tone. Hope that helps

mutt and I won’t be home for Christmas we’re probably recorded with Les Paul invader set up and strat x2n. The end of mutt, sounds like strat x2n/Mesa combo 

The thing to keep in mind is that the x2n is a very muddy and grainy pickup that is very amp dependent, sounds like a totally new guitar on a different amp. Sounds exactly like dude ranch on a Mesa boogie though. I would keep any guitar with x2n on a 250k pot... to me that is the tone you’re after if you want the dude ranch tone. 

The white strat with all the stickers has been around since 95, maybe even 94. 

On 12/12/2017 at 8:26 AM, Water said:

If you want cheshire tones, that’s strat dimarZio into ampeg, Marshall...

welcome to the boards, water!

cheshire was mostly recorded through mr. brett's head at westbeach, with parts also done at doubletime on tom's ampeg VL 1002. that head through marshall 1960 angled cab for the live sound 94—97. 

white strat was bought with cargo advance, 1994. so likely tom played it on cheshire recording. stickering began in late 94.

• 2 years later...
On 12/12/2017 at 11:26 AM, Water said:

Dude ranch record was Fender strat Dimarzio going into mesa boogie, rhythm parts mixed with les Paul at times. Mostly, the strat dimarzio set up. Very apparent on Emo, lemmings, pathetic, dammit, waggy, untitled, a new hope... I know that tone very well. The les Paul Tom was using on tour was equipped with an invader duncan, which would later be carried over to the signature strat for EOTS. He could have well recorded on an invader Duncan LP, but it sounds like mostly a strat, sometimes mixed with LP again. TOPAJ, was def strat Duncan, lespaul P90, or any standard les Paul pickup, same with the next album... If you want chechire tones, that’s strat dimarZio into ampeg, Marshall... you’ll def get that tone if you had 250k pots in your strat. If you want Buddha tone, that’s overdriven single coil. The mic pre- amp also changed with the addition of jerry fin. The sound of this preamp, Chandler TG2 also has lots to do with the tone. Hope that helps

mutt and I won’t be home for Christmas we’re probably recorded with Les Paul invader set up and strat x2n. The end of mutt, sounds like strat x2n/Mesa combo 

The thing to keep in mind is that the x2n is a very muddy and grainy pickup that is very amp dependent, sounds like a totally new guitar on a different amp. Sounds exactly like dude ranch on a Mesa boogie though. I would keep any guitar with x2n on a 250k pot... to me that is the tone you’re after if you want the dude ranch tone. 

DR was recorded with the Ampeg not a Boogie. Listen to the tone. It's a "Marshall" sounding distortion not a Boogie. The Ampeg VL-1002/502 is a just modded JCM800 on steroids with a dedicated clean channel and built in reverb and attenuator. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:47 AM, blinkstillrules said:

DR was recorded with the Ampeg not a Boogie.

yup. to my ear, i used the dammit intro riff. on my VL-1002, channel two, with preamp and gain at max, low at max, high at max, and mid at zero it sounds identical.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:25 PM, daveyjones said:

yup. to my ear, i used the dammit intro riff. on my VL-1002, channel two, with preamp and gain at max, low at max, high at max, and mid at zero it sounds identical.

I'll have to try that. I used different settings to get it. You have the mids knob at zero but which frequency is the frequency knob on?

@Q182 tried your settings out with the frequency knob at 3, 4, and 5. We're torn between 4 and 5.

I'm gonna try it later on mine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

I'll have to try that. I used different settings to get it. You have the mids knob at zero but which frequency is the frequency knob on?

@Q182 tried your settings out with the frequency knob at 3, 4, and 5. We're torn between 4 and 5.

I'm gonna try it later on mine.

i prefer FREQ on 6 for both cheshire cat and dude ranch tones. i do move it around depending on what other kind of punk i'm playing.

20 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yup. FIVE i mean.

Ah there we go. To my ears I prefer four as it sounds a bit tighter but this is just my preference. The freq knob is really a unique addition that really adds another level of versatility.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Q182 said:

Ah there we go. To my ears I prefer four as it sounds a bit tighter but this is just my preference. The freq knob is really a unique addition that really adds another level of versatility.

it's certainly the best tube amp i've ever owned (for the sounds that i like). all the MESA boogie dual rectifier stuff i feel is a.) overpriced and b.) too 'slick' and mainstream sounding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

it's certainly the best tube amp i've ever owned (for the sounds that i like). all the MESA boogie dual rectifier stuff i feel is a.) overpriced and b.) too 'slick' and mainstream sounding.

I love this amp. It's criminally underrated.

I think we may need to start an Ampeg VL series fanboy and settings thread.

• Like 1