Dude Ranch Amp Settings?

MBlink182

@Q182 and I were bouncing DR tone ideas for the Ampeg VLs.

I tried out 3, with slight changes to the preamp settings. Don't mind my shitty playing. I had to do this quick, my son was going for a nap soon. Also, shitty cellphone recordings because I don't have any recording gear.

Here's tone test 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfYn6JVZjyM

Settings:

Kxp1izG.jpg

On 9/27/2020 at 10:11 AM, blinkstillrules said:

Here's my current settings. I took @daveyjones settings and dropped the frequency knob from 5 to 4 and just dialed the gain back a little. I tried dialing back the preamp knob too but it sounds tighter with it maxed, which makes sense. The preamp knob is basically just a built in OD pedal as I understand it.YT7g4Na.jpg

Word. Yeah settings are going to differ based on you guitar, pickup, amp, cab, the room you’re in, where your rig is in the room, where you’re standing in relation to your cab, objects in the room etc. 

I just think the mix totally transformed the guitar tone that was originally dialed in. It’s so wonky and weird. 

I can’t speak as to my opinion on what the best tube amp in the word is because I think that it’s up to the player to dial in a good tone and to make it sound good for what they’re playing/recording etc. 

if you’re not into recording or anything like that I get it but learning how to apply reverb in post production is definitely important for what I do. Live however, I’m more into delays for my leads as reverb seems to get lost in a live mix for me. 

EDIT: I do use reverb when playing live contextually but it’s often times in combination with other things or to make pad sounds. Just depends. I don’t typically use it on a standard dry distorted rhythm tone.

8 hours ago, mil182 said:

Word. Yeah settings are going to differ based on you guitar, pickup, amp, cab, the room you’re in, where your rig is in the room, where you’re standing in relation to your cab, objects in the room etc. 

I just think the mix totally transformed the guitar tone that was originally dialed in. It’s so wonky and weird. 

I can’t speak as to my opinion on what the best tube amp in the word is because I think that it’s up to the player to dial in a good tone and to make it sound good for what they’re playing/recording etc. 

if you’re not into recording or anything like that I get it but learning how to apply reverb in post production is definitely important for what I do. Live however, I’m more into delays for my leads as reverb seems to get lost in a live mix for me. 

EDIT: I do use reverb when playing live contextually but it’s often times in combination with other things or to make pad sounds. Just depends. I don’t typically use it on a standard dry distorted rhythm tone.

Best tube amp is totally subjective and based on what a person needs/is looking for. We just fan boy on this amp because of who used it and what records they used it on. It is really versatile though.

For now I keep trying to nail that DR tone.

12 hours ago, mil182 said:

4 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

Best tube amp is totally subjective and based on what a person needs/is looking for.

i hope it's contextually evident that the words "it's the best" are, by nature, a subjective statement. it's an opinion. 😎

• Like 2

@mil182 I watched your tone part 2 video noted your JCM 800 settings:

Drive/Gain - 7
Bass - 1.9
Mids - 1.9
Treble - 8
Presence- 6.5

Knowing the Ampeg VL-502/1002 are just modded JCM 800s with more gain, I decided to dial back my gain. I also decided to dial back the lows, which were maxed and add a little bit more treble.

Here are the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txmgbYPjAw

Settings: Roo0cFL.jpg

I then tried one more test, using the exact same settings as above EXCEPT I moved the frequency knob up from 3 to 4:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Z5QDAIDIw

All I have is shitty cellphone videos. I think freq sounds better 3 of the two videos (1st video).

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:21 PM, blinkstillrules said:

@mil182 I watched your tone part 2 video noted your JCM 800 settings:

Drive/Gain - 7
Bass - 1.9
Mids - 1.9
Treble - 8
Presence- 6.5

Knowing the Ampeg VL-502/1002 are just modded JCM 800s with more gain, I decided to dial back my gain. I also decided to dial back the lows, which were maxed and add a little bit more treble.

Here are the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txmgbYPjAw

Settings: Roo0cFL.jpg

I then tried one more test, using the exact same settings as above EXCEPT I moved the frequency knob up from 3 to 4:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Z5QDAIDIw

All I have is shitty cellphone videos. I think freq sounds better 3 of the two videos (1st video).

Very interesting! I would love to shoot out the Ampeg with some Marshall jcm 800 and 900s, my helix 800 patch and maybe some other similar heads, solely to see how they compare to each other. 

fwiw I did use an overdrive in front to boost the head a bit, since the Ampeg is a bit hotter and also the mix would’ve compressed and tighter the bottom end up a bit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mil182 said:

Very interesting! I would love to shoot out the Ampeg with some Marshall jcm 800 and 900s, my helix 800 patch and maybe some other similar heads, solely to see how they compare to each other. 

fwiw I did use an overdrive in front to boost the head a bit, since the Ampeg is a bit hotter and also the mix would’ve compressed and tighter the bottom end up a bit 

Right. I think it would be fun to compare them all. I think my most recent post  and test is the closest I'll get just playing in my house and recording with my phone. I think it sounds pretty good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mil182 said:

I would love to shoot out the Ampeg with some Marshall jcm 800 and 900

when i bought my used VL-1002 it was at a shop that also had a JCM 800 and 900 for sale. for kicks, i played all three (acting like i *might* buy a way more expensive marshall). lee's ampeg sounded the best of the lot with preamp and gain maxed. i noodled around some bad religion and pennywise songs, and the VL crushed both JCM's in the high tube gain dept.

i'm sure the shop wasn't happy with the 10 minutes of noise... but i did buy the ampeg!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, daveyjones said:

when i bought my used VL-1002 it was at a shop that also had a JCM 800 and 900 for sale. for kicks, i played all three (acting like i *might* buy a way more expensive marshall). lee's ampeg sounded the best of the lot with preamp and gain maxed. i noodled around some bad religion and pennywise songs, and the VL crushed both JCM's in the high tube gain dept.

i'm sure the shop wasn't happy with the 10 minutes of noise... but i did buy the ampeg!

I can totally see that! Out of all of the tube heads I’ve owned, I’ve never owned a Marshall. Most of the JCM heads I’ve played (800, 900 & 2000) sounded too thin for my taste. The one Marshall I really enjoyed was a 50 watt 900 my friend owned. I’ve never seen any VL heads used in any of my local shops over the years, otherwise I would’ve Forsure tried one. But I will probably make an effort to buy one online eventually. 

2 minutes ago, mil182 said:

I can totally see that! Out of all of the tube heads I’ve owned, I’ve never owned a Marshall. Most of the JCM heads I’ve played (800, 900 & 2000) sounded too thin for my taste. The one Marshall I really enjoyed was a 50 watt 900 my friend owned. I’ve never seen any VL heads used in any of my local shops over the years, otherwise I would’ve Forsure tried one. But I will probably make an effort to buy one online eventually. 

one just popped up in france, of all places. @Thibaut182?

https://reverb.com/p/ampeg-vl-1002-2-channel-100-watt-guitar-amp-head

• Wow 1

3 hours ago, mil182 said:

I want a Marshall Jubilee. They sound so good.