Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi News, Rumors, Trailers, SPOILER WARNING

Chewy030

Luke trains rey, rey has to kill Luke for some stupid reason, becomes the last jedi but also an accidental bad guy. or something. it's probably going to be super predictable. Can't wait!

I don't intend to whine at all, sorry if sounds like I am. Like I said, if the movies fail to actually start to deliver new ideas and storylines, I'm just going to jump ship.  The two films we've got so far have been serviceable, but they both suffer from the same major issue, they're just stagnating in what made Star Wars great, and doing very little to expand the actual universe.  I'm still onboard now though, I'll see how episode 8 turns out before I decide if I'm done with paying every year to watch the latest entry in this franchise.

The name is really the least of my concerns.  Like I said, its nothing exciting, but its also not the worst film name in the franchise, so whatever.  My main concern is if these movies can ever start to feel like real movies continuing the saga and less like cash-grabs that only rely on familiar imagery and storylines.  I have high hopes that episode 8 can finally deliver on that, but I am honestly also a little wary at this point that they may not be in a rush to do any real expansion to the Star Wars universe.  So for me episode 8 is gonna be what helps me decide if I stick around for more or not.  

Which is pretty much exactly what happened for me with the prequels (though for different reasons), after seeing the second prequel in theaters, I was just done with the franchise at that point, didn't see Sith in theaters, instead I saw Episode 3 the first time years later on DVD.  Which is a bit of a shame as it was definitely the best of those 3 movies, still I never felt like I was missing much when it was in theaters and I didn't bother to go see it.

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

...it's a fucking disney movie marketed toward children and young adults.

you, edge, kyle, and the others need to start some group therapy so you aren't such miserable whiners about everything.

oh bitch bitch bitch. If you can't take criticism, then get off the internet fanboy. if this movie sucks, I personally blame you Ghent.

5 hours ago, Scott. said:

Whatever title they came up with was always gonna be slagged off. They can't win with shit like this. I couldn't give a fuck if it was called Star Wars episode 8 Luke's magical left testicle. I'll be there.

Apparently, my missus would be way more likely to watch it if that was the title. 

I think the director is the key to all of this. I love JJ Abrams but Ive seen all his work and know his ceiling. Leading up to the force awakens release I got a weird vibe there would be similarities to the original. 

Rian Johnson directed the best episode of Breaking bad, so im expecting something much different and darker than what JJ can pull off. 

(He also directed 2 other Breaking Bad episodes...a very good one and the worst one, but that wasnt his fault.) 

30 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I think the director is the key to all of this. I love JJ Abrams but Ive seen all his work and know his ceiling. Leading up to the force awakens release I got a weird vibe there would be similarities to the original. 

Rian Johnson directed the best episode of Breaking bad, so im expecting something much different and darker than what JJ can pull off. 

(He also directed 2 other Breaking Bad episodes...a very good one and the worst one, but that wasnt his fault.) 

To be fair, its not like he wrote Fly, while from a story point of view its boring and I'd agree probably the worst episode of the series, but from a directing point of view its actually fantastic.  The framing of every scene in that episode is beautifully done, he captured some great shots, but a bottle episode is never anyone's favorite (especially when your episodes are an hour long), so I don't think any amount of great directing was going to make that particular episode anyone's favorite.

I definitely have more hope in Johnson than I did in Abrams. Johnson directed Looper which was great and pretty original whereas Abrams has always been so safe/dull. I really hope Johnson can deliver. Colin Trevverrow I have no faith in. He's a hack and episode 9 will suffer for it.

9 hours ago, M!ke said:

To be fair, its not like he wrote Fly, while from a story point of view its boring and I'd agree probably the worst episode of the series, but from a directing point of view its actually fantastic.  The framing of every scene in that episode is beautifully done, he captured some great shots, but a bottle episode is never anyone's favorite (especially when your episodes are an hour long), so I don't think any amount of great directing was going to make that particular episode anyone's favorite.

I love that episode. Bottle episodes appeal to certain types of people ultimately, they're never meant for mass appeal, there's more thought and artistry to it. Personally I adore bottle episodes. 

31 minutes ago, Kay said:

I love that episode. Bottle episodes appeal to certain types of people ultimately, they're never meant for mass appeal, there's more thought and artistry to it. Personally I adore bottle episodes. 

Community had a great one (not the first one about Annie's pen, that one sucked), the one where Pierce had died, and they all sat in the study room while being interrogated with questions Pierce had prepared to see if they deserved whatever he was giving them from his will.  Though technically the stinger scene at the end was in a different setting (bar), but that's only like 30 seconds if that.

11 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Community had a great one (not the first one about Annie's pen, that one sucked), the one where Pierce had died, and they all sat in the study room while being interrogated with questions Pierce had prepared to see if they deserved whatever he was giving them from his will.  Though technically the stinger scene at the end was in a different setting (bar), but that's only like 30 seconds if that.

I like the pen one too tbh haha. I prefer the pen one to the pierce's will one but that one is still good. Mostly I found how they wrote Troy out to be really dumb so it kind of ruins the episode for me.