Motion City Soundtrack have split up

Kay

Hello, friends.

It has been a quiet winter for us. We’ve had some time at home after a very busy 2015. With this time, we’ve been able to think about the past, present, and future of Motion City Soundtrack. All of this thinking has lead to several conversations, and these conversations have lead us to a very bittersweet realization:

We have no idea what the future holds, but for now we are done.

Needless to say, we’re feeling all the feels - you may be as well. If so, or if you’ve ever been touched by our music, we ask you to come out and sing along with us one last time in 2016.

Please stay tuned for a very special final tour announcement on Monday. You can sign up to our email/mailing list via our Facebook page to be the first to hear the news. We really hope to see each and every one of you out there one more time.

Thanks for all the love over the years. It really means a lot to us - and it always will.

Josh, Justin, Jesse, Matt, and Tony

Posted on their Facebook. 

was honestly relieved to see this. they were  one of my favorite bands throughout junior high and high school, but they should have hung it up after Even If It Kills Me.

the band knows they haven't been good in nearly a decade, hence all the past album tours.

hopefully Justin will just focus on Farewell Continental from here on out.

The only album I didn't like was Panic Stations. I know most people hate "Go" but it has some really good songs, and all the albums before it are solid. 

I'm genuinely really sad about this. They were my favourite band to see live, they've written some of the most personal songs for me and I'm freakin' upset by this. 

like, it doesn't hurt as much as when blink split but it still actually hurts. 

fuck shit fuck. 

• Like 1

bastards. loved every album, even imported a legit version of the EIIKM acoustic EP. i know Panic Stations got some hate, but that album came out at EXACTLY the right time for me, literally 2 weeks or so after my ex chucked me. Really helped me through a couple of very difficult months. 

1 hour ago, GrimCityGirl said:

The only album I didn't like was Panic Stations. I know most people hate "Go" but it has some really good songs, and all the albums before it are solid. 

about how i felt. i like the majority of go. and i loved everything that came before it. i saw MCS last summer on the commit this to memory anniversary tour and they were great! but with how the last record performed and the fact that they seem to just be an anniversary-tour act now, suppose this is for the best.

loved the band though, one of those bands that got me through a lot and still does! in fact, MCS is one of the few bands that i still relate to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

about how i felt. i like the majority of go. and i loved everything that came before it. i saw MCS last summer on the commit this to memory anniversary tour and they were great! but with how the last record performed and the fact that they seem to just be an anniversary-tour act now, suppose this is for the best.

loved the band though, one of those bands that got me through a lot and still does! in fact, MCS is one of the few bands that i still relate to.

I kinda assumed you liked Go, considering your username lol

I know it was a deal breaker for most but 'Everyone Will Die' is like... the most beautiful fucking song ever. and Happy Anniversary just destroys me with how heart breaking it is. 

• Like 2

this news has bothered me more than i thought it would haha. i'm definitely grabbing a ticket to one of their "last" shows, though i'm inclined to believe they'll definitely regroup in the future, probably as soon as a EIIKM anniversary tour next year or something. anyway, i've been listening to panic stations again and it definitely's not that bad. i think that was the strength of this band, is that they never really made a bad album IMO. very very solid discography

another thing! i just read this interview with them from only two months ago and it seems that they were still in the mood to go forward:

The band seems comfortable in the fact that they will likely never have a gold or platinum record on the wall, but that doesn’t mean Panic Stations is their final missive. “We’re not done yet,” Cain confidently states. “I think we got more music in us. There’s always a chance [at commercial success]. We may just make that song happen randomly. We’re deep in our career, but you never know. Look at fun., look at Nate [Ruess]: He was making music forever, and then [“We Are Young”] happened. It’s awesome, and it gives hope.”

i wonder i what changed.

i never understood the whole "most overrated band ever" argument with MCS. they really weren't very popular in their genre. once they developed a fan base, it either stayed the same size or became smaller as time went on. nobody ever talked about them. when commit this to memory came out, yeah. but that was because it was a really amazing album.

• Like 1

I didn't think I was that upset about this, despite them being one of my favourite bands of all time, but I was playing guitar the other day, and played most of 'Last Night' and as soon as I got to the last verse I burst out crying. Freaked the fuck out of my girlfriend.