Motion City Soundtrack have split up

Kay

Hello, everyone!
We’re excited! Why? Perhaps you noticed our oh-so-subtle hint in the signature of our farewell announcement - or maybe you spotted rumors floating around the internetz. Well, we’ve hinted enough. We’re very excited to officially announce the return of Tony Thaxton. He’ll be playing drums for the remainder of our shows this year. It’s true!!

Now we want to take this moment to thank Claudio Rivera for all of his hard work over the last few years. We can’t even begin to convey the importance of Claudio’s presence in the band. He stepped up at a time when we needed not only a great drummer, but also a great person who could help us focus our energy on making music. We were able to write a great record together and play insanely fun shows. His positivity was definitely felt and appreciated by all of us. We love him and wish him all the best in the future.

For now, stay tuned, friends. We’ll be announcing more tour dates very soon!

Love, 
Josh, Justin, Jesse, Matt, and Tony

had to be done, and i'm glad he'll be back for the end. he was always one of my favorite drummers

Disappointing news, but understandable. I love everything up to My Dinosaur Life and still listen to them pretty regularly. Commit This To Memory is still one of my favourite albums of all time. Go and Panic Stations really didn't do much for me at all, but it's always sad when one of your favourite bands breaks up. They had a good run and their tunes are here to stay.

Iv been trying to listen to panic stations and apart from tko I just get bored and skip ....not a great album at all...at least go had a few good songs but na they aren't the MCs I grew up with...I loved their earlier stuff too...

Shame but probably the best they get fucked up and die....

Best band to see live tho 

I struggle with Farewell Continental. I like some songs, but none of them have really stuck with me. I spent a few weeks consistently listening to them, trying to like them a lot and just never really did. it has all the elements I should like, but I just didn't for some reason. 

Also the closest they will be playing near me is 3 hours away and I'm not even in the state that day. Not only am I missing Death Cab For Cutie and Kurt Vile that weekend. I'm gonna have to miss MCS. :(

• 2 weeks later...

i've been listening to panic stations the past few days and i've really warmed to it. feels like it's on par or a little better than go. kinda weird how they're just breaking up. i really wonder why. i can only imagine it's the financial burden of touring/the performance of panic stations because they seemed energetic when i saw them last year. and in a piece from january they said they wanted to keep going. i just wonder how/why this decision got made. though i've said they may be past their prime, it still feels like they've got some stuff still left in them

• 5 months later...

reading back over this thread since they played their last show sunday night and i just don't get why people disliked them. i mean, mostly the comments about being old and past their prime. i thought they were still great, never put out a bad album, ever. apparently the metro setlist was 36 songs. crazy. i'm gonna really miss this band. they're my no 2 after blink, but i think they may even stand the test of time better

• Like 1

A lot of people didn't like the shift in "Go". personally I really like a lot of the songs on that record but as a cohesive release it was a giant step down to the previous records. I couldn't get on board with Panic Stations whatsoever and it sounds like I'm not the only one.