Jump to content
 

Recommended Posts

So someone posted this photo that was sent to them by someone in Tom's camp today:

2021.jpg

This amazing photo tell us two things:

1. Tom squeezed a sliver of sticker between the neck and Hot Rails

2. That middle pickup is NOT a JB Jr.! It's a Lil' Screamin' Demon

Here's how I figured that out:

Take note of the screws for the poles of the pickup; it features one row of flatheads and one row of hex screws

Here's your average JB Jr. pickup; note it has all flatheads screws

300500000001064-00-500x500.jpg

Here's your average Lil' Screamin' Demon; it features one row of flatheads and one row of hex screws. Which matches the Sticker Strat.

510yKnYL20L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

So either the Demon has been in the guitar this entire time, or he swapped it at a certain point. I’m guessing the latter because the hero 1997 image shows two rows of [very rusted] flathead screws, indicating JB Jr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm calling it right now, Tom's gonna post a picture of @daveyjones "blink" faceplate he made on his Instagram when he gets it and people are going to go fucking NUTS thinking he's returning to blink.

Since I made the list of the stickers that are on this guitar, I may as well do a whole rundown of the guitar, if this ever becomes helpful to anyone.  This guitar is indeed a real Fender Stratoc

Also just posted this last night:    and am working on a long video with exact sticker placement Davey and I did that we hope provides folks with everything they’ll ever need for y

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Q182 said:

or he swapped it at a certain point. I’m guessing the latter.

yea based on the pics i have i call swapped. the easiest tell is all the screw heads, both rows, are rusted by 1997.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

yea based on the pics i have i call swapped. the easiest tell is all the screw heads, both rows, are rusted by 1997.

100%. Funny enough I had a feeling when dove down the rabbit hole that is this guitar back in 2013/14, I was torn between the Demon and the JB Jr. based on the look and sonic qualities of both pickups. I definitely agree there was swappage; as for when this happened is beyond me.

Plus, we can confirm with that photo the markings are indeed electrical tape and not sharpie. I know that we got confirmation from Tom's tech, but certainly does help having photographic evidence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Q182 said:

So someone posted this photo that was sent to them by someone in Tom's camp today:

2021.jpg

This amazing photo tell us two things:

1. Tom squeezed a sliver of sticker between the neck and Hot Rails

2. That middle pickup is NOT a JB Jr.! It's a Lil' Screamin' Demon

Here's how I figured that out:

Take note of the screws for the poles of the pickup; it features one row of flatheads and one row of hex screws

Here's your average JB Jr. pickup; note it has all flatheads screws

300500000001064-00-500x500.jpg

Here's your average Lil' Screamin' Demon; it features one row of flatheads and one row of hex screws. Which matches the Sticker Strat.

510yKnYL20L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

So either the Demon has been in the guitar this entire time, or he swapped it at a certain point. I’m guessing the latter.

Its weird that the hex screws are on the bottom on Toms. I dont see a screaming demon with the screws flipped anywhere after a search. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OrganGrinderX182 said:

Its weird that the hex screws are on the bottom on Toms. I don't see a screaming demon with the screws flipped anywhere after a search. 

I also noticed this. Most Demons as far as I know have the hex screws in the top row (like in the photo I linked) with the flatheads underneath.

I'm guessing this may have been a production aesthetic thing; I couldn't imagine the sound changing drastically, if not at all if the screw types switched positions (I'm not a pickup expert so bare with me). Plus obviously, the pickup wasn't installed upside down on Tom's guitar; early era SD stacked pickups (both the rails and Jr.'s) were one piece and did not feature the plastic covers like the currently produced ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Food for thought while on this specific topic; for those wanting to make "down to the science" replicas of this guitar. the early SD stacked pickups do not feature the plastic covers. Both Tom's hot rails and JB Jr./Demon look like this:

daghsisypm5po9oltoxq.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Q182 said:

I also noticed this. Most Demons as far as I know have the hex screws in the top row (like in the photo I linked) with the flatheads underneath.

I'm guessing this may have been a production aesthetic thing; I couldn't imagine the sound changing drastically, if not at all if the screw types switched positions (I'm not a pickup expert so bare with me). Plus obviously, the pickup wasn't installed upside down; early era SD stacked pickups (both the rails and Jr.'s) were one piece and did not feature the plastic covers like the currently produced ones.

I wonder if there is a possibility that they replaced with hex screws because of rust in a jb jr or if like you said they just flip flopped them on a screamin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Johnny Two Bags said:

You guys are freaks and I love it 

Thanks! All we want is to get the facts straight!

I must ask do you actually have the blues? Does it make you sad? Does it bring you down? Lol

I was just jamming out to Live Fast this morning. Fantastic album.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Q182 said:

Thanks! All we want is to get the facts straight!

I must ask do you actually have the blues? Does it make you sad? Does it bring you down? Lol

I was just jamming out to Live Fast this morning. Fantastic album.

Oh for sure, in regards to getting the facts straight! I love getting it down to the T, I hate replicas that aren’t remotely close to the real thing. Whether we’re talking about instruments or sports jerseys. In regards to the name, it’s actually a reference to Jonny Two Bags, the 2nd guitarist in Social Distortion, and not the Vandals song. Although Vandals are sweet too!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Johnny Two Bags said:

Oh for sure, in regards to getting the facts straight! I love getting it down to the T, I hate replicas that aren’t remotely close to the real thing. Whether we’re talking about instruments or sports jerseys. In regards to the name, it’s actually a reference to Jonny Two Bags, the 2nd guitarist in Social Distortion, and not the Vandals song. Although Vandals are sweet too!

100%! I was just saying elsewhere on the interwebs whenever I make a Sticker Strat replica (god knows when), I'll make it in its current condition with the black tape and blink stickers. Tom and his camp continue to beat around the bush and not show us a complete shot of the guitar, it would give people a clearer idea of what it looks like now. Plus as far as I know, no one has done it yet (chances are someone will read this and beat me to it lol)

Oh yeah! I know Jonny Two Bags is Social D's guitar player (for whom the song is written), I was just jamming out to Live Fast and that's what came to mind in the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, OrganGrinderX182 said:

I wonder if there is a possibility that they replaced with hex screws because of rust in a jb jr or if like you said they just flip flopped them on a screamin. 

On Tom's guitar? Not possible, as he never used the middle pickup when the X2N came into play. I believe the Lil' Demon's came out at the same time as the JB Jr.'s; they're the single coil version of the Screamin' Demon humbucker, which have the exact same screw sets for the poles (hex & flat).

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Q182 said:

100%! I was just saying elsewhere on the interwebs whenever I make a Sticker Strat replica (god knows when), I'll make it in its current condition with the black tape and blink stickers. Tom and his camp continue to beat around the bush and not show us a complete shot of the guitar, it would give people a clearer idea of what it looks like now. Plus as far as I know, no one has done it yet (chances are someone will read this and beat me to it lol)

Oh yeah! I know Jonny Two Bags is Social D's guitar player (for whom the song is written), I was just jamming out to Live Fast and that's what came to mind in the moment.

That’s awesome, I did not know that was written about him. Should have assumed though, stupid me!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, i also gonna start making a replica and i already read all 51 pages but all the picture of the stickers are broken, does anyone kind enough to give the complete sticker picture? thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Habilaziz said:

Hey guys, i also gonna start making a replica and i already read all 51 pages but all the picture of the stickers are broken, does anyone kind enough to give the complete sticker picture? thanks in advance

Also just posted this last night: 

 

and am working on a long video with exact sticker placement Davey and I did that we hope provides folks with everything they’ll ever need for years to come!

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OrganGrinderX182 said:

Jon posted another pic on instagram

was the middle pickup changed when bridge was changed to invader?

So we have no idea when the X2N and JB Jr. were swapped for the Invader and Demon respectively. As far as we know he had the X2N until at least November 1997. You can see in photos and video from UC Irvine 11/26/1997 it still has the X2N, and presumably JB Jr. in the middle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OrganGrinderX182 said:

Jon posted another pic on instagram

 

was the middle pickup changed when bridge was changed to invader?

 

Je65zj8_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Wait, how did Jon get those?🤯

I'd guess that it really doesn't matter whether the jb and x2n were changed at the same time. To my (limited) knowledge the SH8 debuted on stage in the Les Paul. 

So hot rails/jb jr/x2n as the setup people heard and saw, 

destickered hot rails/demon/invader when it was already in the closet.

 

Edited by Depf
Aye, axemeister q beat me to it
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i was mostly speculating. Weird why he would change the middle pickup he pretty much never used. I wonder if it was an attempt at finding a new sound with the invader/ demon and then he ultimately decided on just going with the bridge pickup on his fender

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Depf said:

Wait, how did Jon get those?

To my (limited) knowledge the SH8 debuted on stage in the Les Paul. 

So hot rails/jb jr/x2n is the setup people heard and saw

destickered hot rails/demon/invader when it was already in the closet

He has connections with Tom’s manager. Thats another story entirely...anyway!

Yeah, the invader appeared in the LP’s in 1998, long after the sticker was retired. At the time when he had the sticker and the wine red LP, the latter was stock.
 

Still makes me wonder why the middle pickup would be swapped when he never, ever used it. The invader makes sense, to be consistent with his signature strat.

Which leads me to think the pickup change was done by Fender in 99 when he received his first round of custom Strats. This is pure conjecture, but to me it makes the most sense at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Thibaut182 changed the title to Tom Delonge Sticker Stratocaster Replica (October 1994- November 1997)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...