On 8/5/2020 at 12:53 AM, daveyjones said:

1.) "dammit" is version one (no lagwagon)

2.) late warped 97 is version two (with lagwagon)

so which are you leaning towards? i initially did version 2, but because i saw him for like over two years with live with that axe, and only added laggy at the very end of its tenure, i ended up removing it.

You’re right, I kind of mixed up my thoughts between the two. Probably going with the dammit video but I’ll maybe print the lagwagon sticker and throw it on something else for the sake of nostalgia and my love for that band as well. 

Here's a random theory that occurred to me: Tom's Gorilla Biscuits sticker might be a bootleg. My reasoning:

All GB stickers that feature the full band name, circular or otherwise, are in the lettering found on their first EP:

R-4781823-1543097619-2550.jpeg.jpg

This was not the case with Tom's orange sticker, as his shows yellow helvetica condensed font:

gb-crop.jpg

Point being, if Tom's was a legit GB sticker, the lettering would match the EP above. That typeface has remained consistent with the band and their promo materials for over 30 years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Q182 said:

This was not the case with Tom's orange sticker, as his shows yellow helvetica condensed font:

Point being, if Tom's was a legit GB sticker, the lettering would match the EP above. That typeface has remained consistent with the band and their promo materials for over 30 years.

yup. here's my interpretation of it:

GB.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

my interpretation

I ended up having to start my GB art over so now I know when I go back to it, I’ll use the lettering from the first EP for consistency. It would bug me to no end if I didn’t use it haha

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yup. here's my interpretation of it:

GB.png

@Q182  I agree with you about the sticker. If you're really curious though, Walter Schreifels is always so nice on social media and in real life, if you send him a dm with this picture and ask him if GB ever had a sticker like this, I'm sure he'll tell you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Walter Schreifels is always so nice on social media and in real life, if you send him a dm with this picture and ask him if GB ever had a sticker like this, I'm sure he'll tell you.

Done, thank you! I’ll report back what I learn! GB is a bucket list band for me to see live, their drummer Luke is a big influence for me on the kit! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 months later...

hi everyone. i noticed that there hasn't been any posts here for a while, but does anyone know which one of these would be best for a sticker strat replica? the squire deluxe hot rails was discontinued and i've searched for one with no luck really. i'm not very technical when it comes to guitars so obviously i'm not trying to make an exact copy. all i'm thinking of doing is installing the dimarzio pickup if possible, as that will pretty much be my whole budget gone, on top of the guitar itself, stickers, strings, etc. if i can't find the right pick guard i'll attempt to customise one myself but not sure how that will go as i have no experience with any of this.. lol. so any other suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks for the really informative thread!

1 hour ago, hotpantsdelonge said:

all i'm thinking of doing is installing the dimarzio pickup if possible, as that will pretty much be my whole budget gone, on top of the guitar itself, stickers, strings, etc. if i can't find the right pick guard i'll attempt to customise one myself but not sure how that will go as i have no experience with any of this.. lol. so any other suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks for the really informative thread!

Your best bet since the Deluxe Hot Rails have been discontinued is to get a Fender Player Series Strat, which they offer in white. As far as the pickguard, it would be easiest to modify an existing one because that’s how it is original sticker strat. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

7 hours ago, hotpantsdelonge said:

all i'm thinking of doing is installing the dimarzio pickup if possible, as that will pretty much be my whole budget gone, on top of the guitar itself, stickers, strings, etc.

5 hours ago, Q182 said:

Fender Player Series Strat, which they offer in white.

yup.

this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVGQC6R/?coliid=I23X9IFULHY9TD&colid=BOKE0NEUFZ3X&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

olympic is the classic warm white and arctic the cool white. tom had arctic. fender doesn't use "arctic white" any more, now they have "polar white."

there are some pics on reverb that confirm that the pickguard is more off-white:

newski7ddtge3muhyosp.jpg

you'll want to replace it with a pure white one from all parts or warmoth. this is the warmoth link:

https://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/StratPickguard.aspx

and you'll also need plain white knobs and switch handle if the stock ones are too yellow to your liking.

the pau ferro wood is very close to rosewood, a bit lighter. fender stopped using rosewood on their cheaper guitars because of the pricier hassle of environmental regulations regarding importing it.

• Like 1

@daveyjones Also wanted to add that I was able to confirm through this reverb listing the OG sticker strat is indeed Arctic white. Tom’s original is a 1994 40th anniversary strat and Arctic was the white they offered (albeit this listing is for with a maple board)

https://reverb.com/item/37363450-fender-40th-anniversary-american-standard-stratocaster-with-maple-fretboard-1994-arctic-white?bk=

6 minutes ago, Q182 said:

@daveyjones Also wanted to add that I was able to confirm through this reverb listing the OG sticker strat is indeed Arctic white. Tom’s original is a 1994 40th anniversary strat and Arctic was the white they offered (albeit this listing is for with a maple board)

https://reverb.com/item/37363450-fender-40th-anniversary-american-standard-stratocaster-with-maple-fretboard-1994-arctic-white?bk=

for arctic that one is super yellowed! yuck.

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

for arctic that one is super yellowed!

I thought the same thing. It was always interesting to me that Tom’s somehow hardly aged over all these years, which I always guessed the stickers had a hand in that. 

2 minutes ago, Q182 said:

I thought the same thing. It was always interesting to me that Tom’s somehow hardly aged over all these years, which I always guessed the stickers had a hand in that. 

yes sticker coverage and probably not much sunlight, in that they played more indoor gigs than outdoor during those years.

i've had my eye on a 94 40th rosewood... they turn up from time to time. it took three years to land my 94 MM but it was so so worth it!

On 12/30/2020 at 6:43 PM, hotpantsdelonge said:

hi everyone. i noticed that there hasn't been any posts here for a while, but does anyone know which one of these would be best for a sticker strat replica? the squire deluxe hot rails was discontinued and i've searched for one with no luck really. i'm not very technical when it comes to guitars so obviously i'm not trying to make an exact copy. all i'm thinking of doing is installing the dimarzio pickup if possible, as that will pretty much be my whole budget gone, on top of the guitar itself, stickers, strings, etc. if i can't find the right pick guard i'll attempt to customise one myself but not sure how that will go as i have no experience with any of this.. lol. so any other suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks for the really informative thread!

I used a 2014 Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster in HSS configuration. I just had to route the bridge humbucker slot a little for the angled pickup and pickguard. Very pleased with it. Found it on Reverb.