A quick google led me right to this.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/all-hardware-and-parts-by-instrument/electric-guitar-parts/hardware-sets/squier-stratocaster-hardware-upgrade-kit.html

So, I really don't think it's that hard to find parts to upgrade a Squier unless you're set on using genuine Fender parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Just today I was sent a video posted by Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory on instagram of blink playing Pathetic at Warped 1997 in Florida. Chad was standing on stage on Tom's side and there were a few instances that the back of the Sticker Strat showed in full view to the camera. Hopefully this resolves the mystery of what was on the back of this guitar, but nevertheless a great find.

here's the link to watch the entire video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKUYc_cHr2l/

Here are a few screenshots I was able to grab: 

warped-97-back-1.png

That black sticker right below the neckplate doesn't look like the Guttermouth sticker to me

warped-97-back-2.png

• Love 2

5 hours ago, Q182 said:

Just today I was sent a video posted by Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory on instagram of blink playing Pathetic at Warped 1997 in Florida.

here's the link to watch the entire video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKUYc_cHr2l/

Thank you so much for posting this! This is so cool to watch and so rare!

I have identified the date and will be adding it to the timeline thread and document 😃

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea it's possible he stickered over or removed. that looks like a hurley H logo on the back there yea?

I totally agree. I even think some of those larger landscape stickers from 95 (see OG M+M's video) were torn when the bridge was worked on in late 96. 

Honestly, I'm still having hard time id'ing anything (apart from the ones we know already). Where do you think you see the hurley logo?

On 1/22/2021 at 12:32 PM, daveyjones said:

[guitar back screenshot]

H (no circle)

Upon closer inspection, you might be right! Looks like either a die cut sticker or clear film to boot (like the pennywise and airwalk stickers). Interesting if it is indeed the hurley h that blink repped them this early in their career since their association with them wasn't widespread until 99/2000.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 12:04 PM, Q182 said:

2014:

the guitar remains in tom's possession and lives in the ava/to the stars headquarters. the white dimarzio is replaced with a black humbucker. I believe it to be another DiMarzio x2n, to match the two duncan pickups.

EDIT: black pickup is an SD INVADER (see below)

tom's instagram, july 29 2014:

destickered-2014.png

I know I'm quoting myself here but if I didn't this post wouldn't make sense.

@blinkstillrules sent me convo screenshots between him and Brian Wallace, who owns the yellow Fender Subsonic and is close with Tom's guitar tech. He asked about the sticker strat and this is what he shared:

convo-1.jpg

convo-2.jpg

convo-3.jpg

convo-4.jpg

And of course @daveyjones always spreading the good word!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Depf said:

don't know if it's been noted before, but when comparing my strat to toms and the other posters here, i realized that many don't install the humbucker right.

I think i nailed it by taking the existing hole and only cutting futher towards the bridge to make room for the X2N.

Might not be a big difference in terms of look, but that definately has a drastic in difference in sound.

I have two guitars with the same humbucker here , one installed like described above, one where i cut out equally towards bridge and middle pickup. the tone is sharper on the former to a very surprising degree.

You're talking about installing it closer to the bridge like Tom? I just used a Warmoth precut pickguard.

I think my DR Ampeg settings are pretty dead on. I'd be interested in hearing how much of a difference moving the pickup back would make.

Did you cut your own pickguard or buy it cut close enough. Warmoth doesn't cut them back far enough.

9 minutes ago, Depf said:

I just cut out a standard pickguard.

This is exactly what Tom did; his pickguard was also custom. Not that the other replicas are wrong by any stretch, but it is the right way to go if you want to get it down to a science (or if you can't buy a brand new pickguard). So you technically did nail it!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Depf said:

maybe we should create a blink gear guide?

i know the gear stuff is why i joined.

It's one of the main reasons I'm here too. I'm not the Gearmaster General for nothing. lol

I believe a gear guide has been tried many, many times for the band over the years and all haven't been very good; but couldn't hurt to potentially give it one more shot.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Depf said:

unfortunately can't demo the 2 guitars atm :(

I just cut out a standard pickguard.

20210218-160023.jpg

looks like this. no x2n in there right now, but it should look like this.  highly recommend doing it this way. for the moment you'll have to trust my words and that moving a pickup closer to the bridge = more treble ;)

What did you cut with?

I have an email out to WD custom pickguards asking if they can do this. I sent them a pic of Tom's and mine from Warmoth to show the difference.

15 minutes ago, Q182 said:

It's one of the main reasons I'm here too. I'm not the Gearmaster General for nothing. lol

I believe a gear guide has been tried many, many times for the band over the years and all haven't been very good; but couldn't hurt to potentially give it one more shot.

@daveyjones and I have been talking about doing an FAQ on Mark's discord.

• Like 1

Response from WD:

We don’t typically design pickguards, but copy existing designs based off of full-scale tracings or by getting the original pickguard sent in. If you are able to trace out something you would be happy with and send that paper tracing in the mail to us we could place the pickups in the places you specify. We could also try using measurements if you are able to provide those. Let me know and I’ll have my craftsman review it.

@Depf Maybe you can measure yours?

2 hours ago, Depf said:

will do! it is a cheap knockoff strat though, so who knows if the measurement is exact.

the easiest thing would be to get a standard pickguard and just put the "upper coil" of the humbucker where the opening is and use a pencil to mark where the lower coil needs space.

alternatively i can gladly just make you one? shipping cant be that expensive and it's a 2 minute job for me. shoot me a message if interested!

I figure shipping from Germany would be more trouble than it's worth.

Is your guitar an actual Fender? The pickguards should be the same size.