2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

same. although if i do an actual 94 40th build i will cut it raw as @Depf notes to be more accurate to the original look.

Yea Tom's pickguard was custom cut and like the body has stayed its bright white. One way to tell this is by looking at where the top left corner of the Ten Foot Pole sticker meets the pickup (also note the smaller gap between the bridge itself and the X2N):

ten-foot-pole-zoom-97-pg.jpg

49 minutes ago, Q182 said:

Yea Tom's pickguard was custom cut and like the body has stayed its bright white. One way to tell this is by looking at where the top left corner of the Ten Foot Pole sticker meets the pickup (also note the smaller gap between the bridge itself and the X2N):

yup. this is the only major inaccuracy on my sticker strat. because i used a pre-cut warmoth guard, it's easy to see that the position is too far away from the bridge. i sized the stickers accurately, but because the hole is not in the right place, they don't intersect correctly. re: milo goes to college and ten foot pole.

X2N.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

found pic on my HDD that i did not know i had.

Whoa! Let's see:

- airwalk under nofx

- cargo records next to rhythm collision

- milo goes to college title also next to rc

- screeching weasel ripping along the bottom edge

- one long ass chain wallet 

This is all new discoveries I could find, please chime in if you think you see something I may have missed. Thanks for sharing as always!

Also Tom wore his guitar much higher in 95, closer to where he has it now. Not important, just something I noted.

1 hour ago, Q182 said:

This is all new discoveries I could find, please chime in if you think you see something I may have missed.

based on what is missing, this demonstrates the order the stickers were applied, which is clutch. we can also see that NOFX is clearly under mint (there was some debate about this). also more airwalks than we thought and the cargo logo.

pre-saddle swap out to boot. 

i'll be stoked to see what else i find on this HDD. it would take me months to sort it all.

10 hours ago, daveyjones said:

based on what is missing, this demonstrates the order the stickers were applied, which is clutch. we can also see that NOFX is clearly under mint (there was some debate about this). also more airwalks than we thought and the cargo logo.

Yeah I was fairly certain this whole time NOFX was put on first with the translucency of mint. This new airwalk discovery brings it to six total (5 visible and one covered by RC). I’m also glad we can confirm the cargo logo, there was also some debate on this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Depf said:

I always wondered about the pre Dude Ranch tone. Not very bridge humbuckery. I'm quite tempted to make a non Sticker rails/sc/jb strat and see how close that gets me

Yup. The real early sound was pickup position 4, neck and middle single coils together (flyswatter until cc). That into the Ampeg or a decent solid state (as Tom used a solid state Fender M...something, I forget the exact model) would get you that tone.

3 minutes ago, Depf said:

I thought the princeton chorus? I bought that one cheap and with cheap  ceramic singlecoils i get quite close. Cheshire is a different matter though... Rails+Singlecoil?

Gotta give it a try.

Thanks for the quick reply mate🙋‍♂️

He had a princeton chorus but he also had a Fender M80 head and matching cab.

Cheshire was the pre-stickered sticker strat with the hot rails in the neck combined with the middle stock single coil. The JB Jr was in the bridge at that point. As for the amp used, we know he used a Marshall at Westbeach that belonged to Brett of Bad Religion that was either a JCM 800 or a Plexi. For the stuff recorded at Doubletime we think it was the Ampeg.

Prior to Cheshire, before getting the Cargo advanced money that he bought new gear with, he used that red stickered strat. Again that was position 4, stock middle and neck single coil pickups, into either the Fender princeton chorus or the M80 head and cab.

• Like 1

@Depf This show was played right around the time they had just finished recording Cheshire Cat. You can see Tom start the set with his white sticker strat (pre-stickered other than a few like the 90210 one) and later in the set switch to his old red strat. You also see the amp looks like the Fender M80. Doesn't play the Ampeg here for some reason.

Fender M80 Chorus Head:

h7resmnz4a0fqawpw3sc.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Depf said:

Do you guys have good pics of the guitar? Would be a nice touch to sticker it the same way (it was stickered,  wasn't it?)

Yep, was stickered. I made a thread about that guitar around the same time this one started to take off. Sadly the pic links died, but the info lives on.

Here's a fresh pic to get you started:

tom-red-guitar.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, Depf said:

do we have any idea what guitar exactly that might be? i.e. pic of the headstock. thanks for reposting! all the pics in that and the amp thread are dead

i know i hate that we have to rely on postimage etc for stuff here. and then in year they are all dead (EVEN if you say "do not expire"). honestly the best part about the discord is the image/paste ability.