There's definitely a new Green Day album coming this year

petros

Shenanigans is great not only because it has some sweet tunes, but because it came right after the band did Warning.  There were some fantastic b-sides from Dookie, Insomniac, and Nimrod that had that classic, timeless Green Day style, proving there was a little left at the bottom of the bottle they caught lightning in years earlier.  It felt like hearing new songs from the band I fell in love with when I was a kid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rabbithats said:

"Right after" clearly being too loose of a description for you, I see.  Considering we regularly wait 5+ years between blink albums, 2 years qualifies to me as "right after."

Regularly?  Not so sure about that.  The only real legit wait of that length is between Neighborhoods and California and that's disregarding Dogs Eating Dogs.  Beyond that they released Neighborhoods 2 years after getting back together (not fast by any means, but not 5 years), and I wouldn't consider the wait between Untitled and Neighborhoods as a real waiting period as blink were broken up for the majority of that time.  And then before that all albums were about 2 years apart.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2016 at 1:48 PM, _Kyle_ said:

I still remember buying that album and just, like you said, losing my shit.

I do wonder about this album though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarettes_and_Valentines

i remember my dad driving me to Best Buy to get it. i also remember laying in my bed that night listening to it on my portable sony cd player. when "blvd of broken dreams" played for the first time, i thought "this is one of the best songs i've ever heard" lol. but even my 11-12 year old self couldn't stand how overplayed the album was. i couldn't listen to it for a very long time, which is a shame. it deserved all of the attention it had, but it also kind of ruined it. 

another random Kevin fact: i had never heard Green Day prior to attending a Pop Disaster show. i ended up buying their cds based on the merch i saw people wearing that night. not knowing what was new or old, i bought International Superhits and Kerplunk! first. then Shenanigans when it was released in stores not too long after. it was a very strange introduction to the band. 

• Like 1

i remember my intro to american idiot just being the songs through the radio, but PARTICULARLY wake me up when september ends, which got played a lot in my area around the time hurricane katrina hit (i grew up in an area affected by that whole thing). it became a song tied to that storm i think because of some viral video, but also because the storm hit right as september started, so it became like this cathartic song for a lot of individuals. which felt kinda strangely old-school lol. i remember a friend had the CD and i was enamored with the fact his mom would let him buy something with a parental advisory sticker lol

it wasn't till years later i got into the album proper and enjoyed it (same with dookie). i agree, it's overplayed, and the musical seemed overwrought IMO. but i still love wake me up. wonder how old-school GD fans felt when they heard that shit blowing up

I remember buying Dookie with my mom on cassette  (unironically) when it came out. Bought it from the local Walmart. I've been a Green Day fan since then. I remember the build up to AI was pretty great, one day the website changed to the heart grenade and that's when I learned they had a new album coming ... I remember it being like 6 months before it was actually released but I'm probably wrong on that. Any way, AI hit and I wore that CD out, enjoyed every bit of it. I never listened to the radio so BLVD never got overplayed for me. Fast forward to now, after 21stCB and the trilogy, I just don't listen to Green Day much anymore. They got stale. AI, though, that was a game changer, it was rad to see one of your favorite bands go from being 'washed up and tired' to basically renewing their career, perhaps even bigger than they were with Dookie.

I loved Warning, was excited when American Idiot came out but the only single I liked was Blvd, and that got old fast. I thought the album was a giant disappointment I gave up all hope on them.

still feel that way now. 

13 hours ago, Chrisx37 said:

Source?

You know green day authority? It's a site that started as a fan news site but now it kinda is more official than the official green day site for news. The mods there have always had good relationship with green days management and sometimes if you followed the forum closely they gave some hints if they were allowed to. So the plan is album before election and new single in august. The announcement coming in matter of days was just my assumption :lol:

• Like 1

I remember my sister using those Columbia CD club thing to get us a few of their albums, so we had a couple of copies each along with taped copies that my sister had copied from friends (piracy was a thing then too). I'm pretty sure my sister and her friends would just sign up and claim to be 18 when she sent in her picks, etc. And blammo, you'd be sent some outrageous amount of CDS for relatively free. No clue how exactly it worked, alls I know is that we basically made a few fake accounts and like a month later kids in my neighborhood were showered with Bush, White Zombie, Everclear, Goo Goo Dolls, Oasis, and REM CDs. Green Day and Nirvana being my two favorite growing up, I had the luxury of my sister's copies of copies to listen to.

Anyway, I remember having to go to the dermatologist in late September and buying The Used's In Love & Death, Bowling For Soup's The Hangover You Don't Deserve, and American Idiot. All of these albums had PA stickers, so I had to buy them at Circuit City and not my local Wal Mart. That's right, if I wanted a non edited album, you literally had to drive 45 minutes to a goddamn mall to get them. No credit card to buy from Amazon. Super frustrating at the time for being 15 without a car or even a license. So I had to essentially plan my trips out of town and strategize over who would most likely have a copy of the album and for the cheapest. Target, Circuit City, FYE, and Best Buy were all the best spots. I'm positive I bought AI the week that Used album came out and both were great. BFS was meh, and frankly I gave up on that band with that record. American Idiot felt like the rock record I'd been praying for. Green Day seemed like they were on the way out and Warning was actually good, but not in vogue at all. AI had the videos, the energy, all grandiose and political, socially aware enough to be relevant and dare I say edgy? Being a huge GD nerd growing up felt like validation. I even remember kids coming up to me and asking about specific songs and trying to figure out what they exactly meant. Literally asking me which albums to buy of theirs (all of them). But yeah, six months later it, fatigue was setting in. I remember buying Green Day boxers at the mall one Christmas just because of how ridiculous they were. I couldn't believe how far Green Day had made it back from the brink of obscurity all to sell me cheap underwear.

3 hours ago, petros said:

You know green day authority? It's a site that started as a fan news site but now it kinda is more official than the official green day site for news. The mods there have always had good relationship with green days management and sometimes if you followed the forum closely they gave some hints if they were allowed to. So the plan is album before election and new single in august. The announcement coming in matter of days was just my assumption :lol:

Ah I think I've been to that site. A single in August would be great! Maybe they'll go political again, which would be cool because I'd love to see them diss Trump. 

• Like 1