There's definitely a new Green Day album coming this year

petros

2 hours ago, Chrisx37 said:

Can't believe Green Day, blink, Sum 41, Yellowcard, etc. are all releasing albums this year. What a year this will be.

I'd have been so much more excited back in 2003ish.  These days, I don't care much for Yellowcard anymore, I'm still curious about Sum 41 but kinda doubtful about how well the next album will be, Green Day has gone to shit, but I'll still check out the new album in the event that they surprise me, and I still love blink.  It'd really make the collection of these bands complete if Jimmy Eat World had a new album coming, I had thought they did, but apparently I was wrong as I can't find any indication that that is true at all.  

How have green day gone shit? I always had that in my mind when people here (that like this kind of music) say it. I mean I didn't like the trilogy at all but still one bad release can't make them become a shit band. If you didn't enjoy 21stCB that's understandable too but still this album was really great for what it was. I didn't like it that much either but I've come to appreciate it a lot. And people who say they don't like American Idiot just hate on their image at that time which was lame for everything it was and got associated. Because the album is damn good. Everyone likes everything before that so no need to keep going.

22 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I'd have been so much more excited back in 2003ish.  These days, I don't care much for Yellowcard anymore, I'm still curious about Sum 41 but kinda doubtful about how well the next album will be, Green Day has gone to shit, but I'll still check out the new album in the event that they surprise me, and I still love blink.  It'd really make the collection of these bands complete if Jimmy Eat World had a new album coming, I had thought they did, but apparently I was wrong as I can't find any indication that that is true at all.  

I think I'm excited because I'm still relatively new with getting into music, but a lot of what I like came from around 2003. So to see all those bands that were big around then releasing new music now is pretty cool for me, regardless of quality. I do have high hopes for Sum 41/Green Day though. Sum 41 because the album is so personal to Deryck Whibley, and Green Day for a few enjoyable tracks (most of the trilogy was forgettable for me, but there were at least some songs in there I thought were good).

13 minutes ago, petros said:

How have green day gone shit? I always had that in my mind when people here (that like this kind of music) say it. I mean I didn't like the trilogy at all but still one bad release can't make them become a shit band. If you didn't enjoy 21stCB that's understandable too but still this album was really great for what it was. I didn't like it that much either but I've come to appreciate it a lot. And people who say they don't like American Idiot just hate on their image at that time which was lame for everything it was and got associated. Because the album is damn good. Everyone likes everything before that so no need to keep going.

They haven't had a solid album since American Idiot.  Loved American Idiot, still do.  21CB had a few good songs, but overall was bloated with filler, and the fact that it took them 4 years to follow up American Idiot, only for them to release essentially another American Idiot that wasn't nearly as good was truly disappointing to say the least.  Then the trilogy of albums was just awful, not a song in there that I enjoyed (by the way, 3 bad albums released close to each other doesn't qualify in my book as only one release, but rather 3 releases, so that was 3 terrible albums in a row in my opinion).  And then around that same time Billie Joe did his whole drunken tirade at the I Heart Music festival while Mike Dirnt just follows suit and destroys his bass like the puppet he seemed to be in that instant, it was all so childish.  And coming from a band now that hasn't had a good album in 12 years, that simply isn't acceptable behavior in my opinion.  

Before American Idiot, I did not like every release, so I will continue going: I thought Insomniac was mostly forgettable, and I found Warning to be disappointing, not a bad album, but severely lacking as I felt there were moments of brilliance on that album.  Point is, they've had their ups and downs, but over the past decade or so, its been almost entirely down, so I'll say it again, Green Day has gone to shit.  I will say that in the time since American Idiot, I did thoroughly enjoy the Foxboro Hot Tubs album, shame that when they tried to recreate that sound with Dos, they failed miserably. 

But having said that, I still know they are capable of a good song, at least I think they are.  And as such I will always give their new albums a chance.  I'm not holding my breath, but I'm well aware that they definitely could surprise me and put out a really awesome album.

i feel like GD are self-aware enough to understand that a LOT of people abhorred the grandiosity of american idiot/21st, and obviously plenty disliked the trilogy albums. i'm hoping this release is something more simple and grounded. wish we could hear an album like warning outta them at this stage.

Oh ok then [emoji14] still trilogy counts as one though. They recorded it as one and it was really a combination of all these things that made it fail, billies addiction overconfidence no one in the room to tell them the material isn't good enough to be released like that.

I also used to think 21st was like a bad version of American idiot but I don't see it at all now. And insomniac is probably my favorite album of them so we agree to disagree.

I'm really worried about this album and their ability to do something that feels fresh and inspired though. They're my favorite band and always will but after the trilogy they really need to step up their game big time.

Just now, boxelder said:

i feel like GD are self-aware enough to understand that a LOT of people abhorred the grandiosity of american idiot/21st, and obviously plenty disliked the trilogy albums. i'm hoping this release is something more simple and grounded. wish we could hear an album like warning outta them at this stage.

I'd like a legit new Foxboro Hot Tubs album, not Dos which they claimed to the second one; as it never felt anything like Foxboro to me.  I'd also love an album like Nimrod again or even Kerplunk! (not holding my breath on that last one), just please nothing so rushed and without heart as the trilogy, and not another rock opera, it worked well the first time, but the second time they proved how much of a one-trick pony that kind of album is for the band.

9 minutes ago, petros said:

Oh ok then emoji14.png still trilogy counts as one though. They recorded it as one and it was really a combination of all these things that made it fail, billies addiction overconfidence no one in the room to tell them the material isn't good enough to be released like that.

I also used to think 21st was like a bad version of American idiot but I don't see it at all now. And insomniac is probably my favorite album of them so we agree to disagree.

I'm really worried about this album and their ability to do something that feels fresh and inspired though. They're my favorite band and always will but after the trilogy they really need to step up their game big time.

Except they made a point to explain how each of the three albums were different enough so that they shouldn't have been sold as a single Triple album (reality is all the songs could have fit on a single Double album actually).  So as such I will always abide by their rules, plus the obvious nature that the three albums are significantly different enough to "stand" as their own "unique" thing.  So yeah, they'll always be 3 separate releases to me for sure.

I recently gave 21CB another listen the other day(no lie) to see if I was being too harsh on it.  But the reality is, I wasn't.  The album pales in comparison to American Idiot, and is just bloated with boring filler.  I don't enjoy the album still today just as I didn't 8 years ago.  Still it does have 4 or 5 solid songs, I can't deny that.

It is a bit sad how far Green Day have fallen in my eyes. Back in the day they were my second favorite band right behind blink-182.  Now they don't register in my top 10, probably not even my top 20.  I don't hate them, but I certainly don't think they are the musical geniuses I once did when I was younger not after so many disappointing releases.

i think what bothered me the most about 21st was that when it came out, rolling stone gave it this glowing, five-star review. and it was clear that anyone who actually listened to the band or heard the album thought it was this bloated, pretentious piece of shit. it's so laughable looking at it now, because it's just another example of how music reviews don't mean shit. i heard 21 guns on the radio the other day and just found it gross. horrible song

I dunno, they just started ripping off the Who more obviously with AI, so why not be over the top?

21st Century has some absolute clunkers though. Especially the 21 Guns and Know Your Enemy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/21st-century-breakdown-20090427

@boxelder, the review says 4.5 out of 5 but I remember it being 5 star too. Weird.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I dunno, they just started ripping off the Who more obviously with AI, so why not be over the top?

21st Century has some absolute clunkers though. Especially the 21 Guns and Know Your Enemy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/21st-century-breakdown-20090427

@boxelder, the review says 4.5 out of 5 but I remember it being 5 star too. Weird.

I liked 21 Guns at first, but it quickly irritated me, I'm not entirely sure what it is about that song, perhaps it feels a bit too pretentious, and perhaps its because its so clearly trying to be the Wake Me Up When September Ends song of that album.  Never could stand Know Your Enemy, though honestly I get some genuine joy out of the version on the Broadway cast recording of American Idiot, particularly when it uses lines from Jesus of Suburbia, but then when I hear the real song, I can't help but notice how obviously they just reused part of the Jesus of Suburbia song for that song.  Which really only highlights how lacking in ideas 21CB really is.  It definitely did not deserve the oscar for best rock album, I find that one truly baffling.

Still, Last of the American Girls was a solid single.  I also genuinely like Peacemaker, Static Age, and See The Light.  But 4 good songs does not a great album make, especially when your album is 18 tracks long.

3 hours ago, petros said:

If you wanna talk about lack of ideas you should mention the trilogy not 21st :P 

All 4 albums illustrate that if you ask me.  I was actually excited for the trilogy because it at first seemed like they weren't going to do the same exact thing again by doing another rock opera, and even returning to some roots and revisiting some previously explored sounds, yet each one of them were just boring.  I mean I don't think there was anything there that I despised, but there was nothing there that even got me remotely excited.  So to 21CB's credit, at least it had 4 songs that I genuinely enjoy and still listen to from time to time today; again though, that doesn't make up for the other 14 uninspired songs.

Just now, M!ke said:

All 4 albums illustrate that if you ask me.  I was actually excited for the trilogy because it at first seemed like they weren't going to do the same exact thing again by doing another rock album, yet each one of them were just boring.  I mean I don't think there was anything there that I despised, but there was nothing there that even go me remotely excited.  So to 21CB's credit, at least it had 4 songs that I genuinely enjoy and still listen to from time to time today; again though, that doesn't make up for the other 14 uninspiring songs.

I see. Yeah the problem with trilogy isn't exactly that the songs were bad. But it was so forgettable and boring. 

I understand about 21st although I enjoy that album. Maybe it's my least favorite release except from the trilogy and 1039 but still I like it.

On 6/16/2016 at 10:23 AM, _Kyle_ said:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090525060104/http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/27796996/review/27809821/21st_century_breakdown

i guess we must just be misremembering. either way, 4.5/5 is WAY too high. RS were just ready to give them that rating

On 6/19/2016 at 7:55 PM, Chewy030 said:

Out of the trilogy I enjoyed uno. The other two I didn't care for. At one point I noticed tre used the exact same drum beat for the intros on two different tracks.

Ikr? It sucked so much. They used almost the same fucking drum intro for Fell For You, Fuck time, Lazy Bones(although this is the only really good song in the trilogy imo) and maybe I'm forgetting some more too. They were on Uno and Dos though.

I hope so much this next album will be good.