Chasing Shadows EP

Lauren

It's not that bad, I actually kinda enjoyed it. Overload and Chasing Shadows are decent, not really into Voyager though. But I don't think that I will listen to the EP many times, it's just what it is. There's just something with his voice I don't like anymore.

• Like 1

I liked it. I'm really pleased. Surprised and happy for Tom. Seriously. After the last EP, the solo record and all the downhill he's been through, I didn't expect something like this. In some points it reminds me to I-Empire, which is good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anthem said:

not surprised, retards who are shitting on the ep are the same retards who want NFG-sound for the new blink album.

I hate NFG, you cock. And I really enjoyed Dreamwalker. You cock. And who cares if Speedo justifiably doesn't want to blind pay Tom four dollars for his more often than not shit music nowadays. You cock.  You retarded cock. 

• Like 6

I liked the ep. The first three songs are nice. I just didn't really like the last song.

However can somebody explain to me how this ep is connected to his book? As far as i can recall the book is something about aliens, secret organizations and conspiracies. I just don't understand why he would connect these topics with this kind of music. I guess he wants to keep the multimedia thing going.

• Like 1

Had to stop listening midway through my third listen because Tom's vocals started to piss me off during the third song. That was probably the last time I listen to this EP, which no one will remember a few months from now anyway. The only good thing about it is the guitar tone.

First two songs are alright, good and bad parts. Don't like the 3rd one. Was enjoying the last song quite a bit then that bridge came in...so bad, sounds made up on the spot and didn't fit the song at all.

Overall probably wont listen to it much but can't say I hate it. Same as everything since DED by Tom

overload is alright. probably will get annoying after a week. artillery is quite good, something interesting right here, seems like right of wdntw. voyager is a bit of cool and crap at the same time. it's been done million times, but from out of million it gets a good spot. chasing shadows is really good. it has an "i'm lost with out you" feel and nervous/chill music, a decent vocal melody. 

overall, not bad, but not good. he guitar is back but it's still lacking any hooks. just some harmonies notes playing around. i bet i'll forget about this record in a week. thought it would be a pure trash.

• Like 1

What surprises me the most is how he didn't do any hype on this EP like he used before. And that's weird, I'm pretty sure he knows these songs are decent compared to other stuff he's releasing (solo record, fucking nightmares EP), and he's just doing anything but releasing them.

That just leads me to think he's just writing songs without pressure for the first time in years. I'm not gonna make any defense about Tom here, but I think he has been under pressure a lot of time (sure, as tons of musicians too), and self indulged bullshit. He overhyped lots of stuff just to release crappy shit after all (or brken all the hype without anything or delaying the shit as hell). He put lots of stress on himself without being necessary. It's like he was on a constant run to prove he was the one to care of (AvA itself was that towards blink, any record he did was that towars the previous one, and the demos record was that towards his old bandmates). Just prove, prove, prove he was the one.

Now it seems he's over that and the music feels more natural (not being any wonder, cause he's still FAR from the best Tom we know).

• Like 2

I don't get the praise it gets. I understand everyone is happy Tom is using guitars again but that doesn't automatically makes the music good and people get carried away. I think only the first one is decent and that's not even that good. I'm not a Tom hating guy because of what happened with blink. I enjoyed the solo ep and that was closer to all the shit that happened. This is simply very mediocre for me.

5 hours ago, Conor Oberst said:

I hate NFG, you cock. And I really enjoyed Dreamwalker. You cock. And who cares if Speedo justifiably doesn't want to blind pay Tom four dollars for his more often than not shit music nowadays. You cock.  You retarded cock. 

My favorite part of this was all the cock!

39 minutes ago, petros said:

I don't get the praise it gets. I understand everyone is happy Tom is using guitars again but that doesn't automatically makes the music good and people get carried away. I think only the first one is decent and that's not even that good. I'm not a Tom hating guy because of what happened with blink. I enjoyed the solo ep and that was closer to all the shit that happened. This is simply very mediocre for me.

Yeah the novelty will wear off and they'll realize there's nothing there beyond the guitar tone.

• Like 1

Yeah since listening to it more today my opinion has gone from 'this is really good' to 'this is okay I guess', theres still lots of issues but I still prefer it to anything pre dream walker by AVA

The EP isn't great at all, Its great in the terms of Tom finally writting a decent song after put out such shit after a decade. If Tom keeps going this route with AVA, they may actually be a band i will start listening to again and not just listen to fill any void with blink. I'm excited as hell for Matt Skiba to be in blink so don't get me wrong and all of Toms best work in recent years was with blink. I mean Neighborhoods had some fantastic lyrics i thought. At least i able to relate most of the songs on that album lyrically as i going through a dark time when that game out. Like Up All Night the chorus for that song was so spot on about my own addiction with heroin. 

• Like 1

As a fan of at least part of everything Tom has done, barring Of Nightmares,  I'm not surprised that I like this EP...but I'm surprised by how much, much better than I expected.

However my overwhelming thought is "imagine what it could have been if he had tried". He claims it's all part of his transmedia empire, but it seems very much to me the only reason he sticks an EP with these things is cause it's what 99% of people care about the most.

• Like 1

Not bad - really liking the last song. I'm still surprised that Tom can put out music where each song seems to pull a different audience. I'm always bewildered with the fact that some people absolutely love the songs I think are weaker than other releases, and vice versa. For an artist who has rather simple chord progressions, lyrics, etc., he's still able to draw a pretty wide spectrum of likes across the board with his tunes. I think that's a sign of a good artist in any case -  though I still miss the old song-writing Tom. 

• Like 1