Signature height limit?

darkarrow

Just wondering if there's anyone else that gets annoyed at some of the massive sigs used around here?  I know I can hide them, but I don't like doing that because I actually like seeing peoples sigs, I just don't understand why there doesn't seem to be much of a height limit on them.

I do agree, in fact I've always disliked how big some peoples signatures are since the day I joined this place, when you have a page with 20 posts and 15 of them are from people with huge signatures you spend more time scrolling past the same images over and over than you do reading actual posts. I've had signatures hidden for a long time so it's not something that I've thought about since I've been an admin, but I'm definitely happy to consider placing limits on it if people can agree on it.

Due to the nature of web pages it's difficult to place a specific size limit, however I can put together a combination of the following which would place a solid limit:

• Maximum size of images in signature
  • Maximum number of images in signature
  • Maximum number of lines of text in signature.

So for example, if we were to set the maximum height of images to 200px, only allow one image and only allow up to 5 lines of text a signature could be no larger than the following:

zoq83Pr.png

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex
ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit 
esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.

Personally I think that's still a little too big, but just an example as to how it could work.

Interested to hear other peoples thoughts, I can bring this up with Aria and Vic and if there's enough support we could put it to a vote.

• Like 2

Glad people are weighing in on this.

We certainly won't disable sigs altogether, no point doing that when everyone has the option to turn them off in their own settings.

7 hours ago, Speedo said:

I hid everyone's because I do get annoyed by them, so while I don't see the point in them I also don't know why other can't just hide them. Is there a way to hide them by the individual? 

I don't think you can hide sigs per-user, I think it's either all or none unfortunately.