Star Wars : Rogue One: Beware of Spoilers

Chewy030

30 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Or it was too dark and people are too stupid to like that?

yeah thats my one concern. like either its awful, or it was actually very cool and different but the screen testing audience were a bunch of stupid fucks who didn't get it. 

That article made it sound like they made the Star Wars movie of my dreams and I'll never see it because they're changing it all.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, corporate executives screened the film and decided it was “tonally off with what a ‘classic’ Star Wars movie should feel like.” As a result, the reshoots were ordered, in order to “lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story, and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.”

This is a spin-off movie! Who cares if it feels like a classic Star Wars movie? Isn't that the point of these spin-offs? To try something new? I'd be annoyed if episodes 7-9 didn't feel like "normal" Star Wars, but try new things with the spin-offs please.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

Or it was too dark and people are too stupid to like that?

Well, lets not make the mistake of automatically likening a dark movie to a good movie.  Revenge of the Sith was a dark movie, but it wasn't particularly good.  Yeah, it was far better than Episodes 1 and 2, but it was still pretty bad.  Both Batman V Superman and Man of Steel went for dark and were both pretty damn bad.

av club dude for once points out something totally valid: empire was tonally much darker/different than its predecessor. and it's the best of the three, people say. shame that disney wants to control freak this thing. it's gonna make money anyway lol

Standalone spinoffs just weren't that great of an idea, at least not until they are done with skywalker saga/trilogies for awhile.

I'm not surprised that they're having problems already.

The only positive is that Ep7 had drama like this in the writing process and it turned out to be great.

I don't see why spinoff films are inherently a bad idea.  Especially when they're taking place earlier in the franchise, plus its not like their development is slowing down the development of the core films.  Frankly I think the trailer to this movie looks more promising than the trailers for The Force Awakens did (not that those were bad by any means, just that this trailer excites me even more than the trailers for TFA did).  Hell, even if the movie blows, its not like a spinoff Star Wars film has never done that before (see Ewok films, Clone Wars 3D animated film prequel to the tv series, and the Holiday Special(if that one even counts)).  If it sucks, we just disregard it, don't watch it again like the prequels and poke fun at it when appropriate, and move on, the franchise has never been perfect, so any more duds aren't really going to sully the reputation of Star Wars as a whole.  Thing is, I just can't see it being that bad, if it's any bad at all.

3 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-whats-those-rogue-one-reshoots-237571

Yup. Apparently they wanna sell this movie to evvverybody. This is why Star Wars will never be anything special again.

wooo lets write it off, when all we have is speculation. As with anything...see it before you judge it.

• Like 1

This happens with just about ANY film - I HIGHLY doubt there's much change in tone or anything.

95% of films go into reshoots, no matter what the cost.

The only reason why it's making headlines is because it's Star Wars - and fans will read any star wars related news.

16 hours ago, M!ke said:

Well, lets not make the mistake of automatically likening a dark movie to a good movie.  Revenge of the Sith was a dark movie, but it wasn't particularly good.  Yeah, it was far better than Episodes 1 and 2, but it was still pretty bad.  Both Batman V Superman and Man of Steel went for dark and were both pretty damn bad.

Sure, but that's not what I'm saying. If you're making a movie essentially about X-Wing fighters, the movie will more than likely have to get around the fact that these guys die in droves and often lose comrades. Especially since this is the losing side we're watching during this film. Looking at the comments from the executives (which is not speculation @Kevin.,), it comes off as "This is less marketable than we had hoped". Rogue One is one of the few ideas I've liked about these spin offs. Heck, I'm more looking forward to it than Episode XIII.

13 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I'm concerned that this is the same reason why The Force Awakens was essentially A New Hope 2.0. Is Disney not willing to let new Star Wars movies take any risks? God forbid each movie doesn't feel exactly like "classic Star Wars."

Yeah, but it would have been a terrible idea to take risks in TFA. they played it exactly how they should and it ended up amazing. Really gave the franchise a proper reboot.

By all accounts EP8 goes places SW hasn't gone before. That's when I would expect risks.

I like how after the prequels everyone cried LEAVE SW ALONE DONT MESS WITH PERFECTION WAHHHH. then when they go back to their roots everyone cries that they need to take more risks.

I'm sure Disney knows what they're doing lol.

But it is the first spin-off..so they might prefer to keep it safe to start things off. Especially since it's a prequel that ends right before ANH begins. A weird style clash would be kind of awkward.