BORED TO DEATH OUT NOW!!!! MUSIC VIDEO ADDED

Mr Hoppus

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

it's definitely not a mainstream hit, i would say. billboard has a million different charts, some of them -- the hot 100, country songs, alternative songs, etc -- more important than others. hot 100's the one that measures everything: radio airplay, streaming, sales. pretty sure alternative songs is only airplay. blink's has dozens of alt songs hits (up all night was no. 3), but only two or three songs that really crossed over to pop radio (atst, i miss you, wmaa). so no, it's not a HUGE hit, but it's still something great for them. only two other blink songs have TOPPED the alt songs chart: atst, and i miss you.

Really? Quite shocked at that. I'd have though most of blinks singles would top a rock chart

Topping the alternative chart is a great accomplishment for blink today. Rock is completely out of the mainstream, so alternative is the most important chart for them. 

The rock chart overlaps sometimes, but it is a pretty different field of music. A way worse field of music.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boxelder said:

it's definitely not a mainstream hit, i would say. billboard has a million different charts, some of them -- the hot 100, country songs, alternative songs, etc -- more important than others. hot 100's the one that measures everything: radio airplay, streaming, sales. pretty sure alternative songs is only airplay. blink's has dozens of alt songs hits (up all night was no. 3), but only two or three songs that really crossed over to pop radio (atst, i miss you, wmaa). so no, it's not a HUGE hit, but it's still something great for them. only two other blink songs have TOPPED the alt songs chart: atst, and i miss you.

Yeah, they'll never recapture that mainstream success. The issue is the trends of music, not Blink. Pop-punk exploded in the late 90s all the way to the mid 2000s. Blink are lucky to have capitalized with 3 albums during that time, it's too bad the hiatus happened because they could have easily gotten one or two more albums in during that era. 

Mainstream doesn't care about pop-punk anymore though. 

It also doesn't help that they're not young or as attractive anymore. They don't have the same sex appeal to attract all the stupid teeny boppers. 

11 hours ago, boxelder said:

all three of those had crossover success on the hot 100/pop radio. BTD hasn't and very likely won't crossover, so this is on par with singles like adam's song, man overboard, etc. still, it's a big deal for them.

my hope is that when SOOHM is released they'll promote it to pop radio and we'll have another massive mainstream blink hit

Thanks for the clarification. Yes that's still a big deal then.

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Yeah, they'll never recapture that mainstream success. The issue is the trends of music, not Blink. Pop-punk exploded in the late 90s all the way to the mid 2000s. Blink are lucky to have capitalized with 3 albums during that time, it's too bad the hiatus happened because they could have easily gotten one or two more albums in during that era. 

Mainstream doesn't care about pop-punk anymore though. 

It also doesn't help that they're not young or as attractive anymore. They don't have the same sex appeal to attract all the stupid teeny boppers. 

well, after hearing this record, I'm hopeful that we see a slight crossover hit -- sober could work really well IMO. it's just generic enough and not too pop punk-y to work (though pop punk of a sort has been recently worked to radio in the form of 5SOS hits). blink is still a very big band as evidenced by the press they've received. up all night surprisingly hit the hot 100, and so did after midnight (low rankings, but still). I'm really hoping blink can have a second act in terms of mainstream success, would love to see them huge again