The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

3 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Damn. Time flies. I mean I'd probably go see whatever band Tom decides to tour. But it's just odd blink is recording and Tom is interested in music and touring again. It's 2006 all over again only without the press insults.

2006 was way different. He wanted to make music just not with blink. He clearly wanted a break from music the last four years.

1 hour ago, Regi. said:

They’re probably just hanging out with their kids. Doesnt mean anything. 

Yeah agreed. Tom's had posts before about hanging out with his kids if I remember correctly. Reminds me of my situation as a kid. Both my parents split when I was too young to remember, but they remained friends and still raised me up together. Spent most weekends at my dads then would be at my mums for the midweek days.

9 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I think it's more Mark doesn't want to work with Tom. And Mark won't let Travis record a Boxcar follow up.

Pretty much this. Mark got dicked over by Tom in both breakups. In 2004, Tom didn't want to record/tour and wanted to spend more time with his family (his reasons). Mark wasn't willing to record separately and piece together an album over email (went on record stating this, then did it anyways with Neighborhoods) so the band went on indefinite hiatus. Skip ahead to 2015 and Tom is stubborn once again, preferring to tour ($$$) over record new albums (DED being the only exception). Tom spends more time working on AvA content. Mark and Travis make Tom sign a contract with a strict deadline to work on Blink, Tom doesn't comply with the contract, Tom bitches out and gets Rick DeVoe to talk to the band on his behalf stating "Tom is out." 

Pretty much the pattern is that Tom is stubborn and will only record when he feels like it, even if it means only recording 1 album and an EP in 6 years. Tom then turns into a pussy getting Rick to talk on his behalf and drags his feet on any productive negotiations or discussions with the band. Mark understandably got sick and tired of accommodating Tom and working around his schedule. Tom put himself first over the band, had ample time and opportunity to right his wrongs, but didn't. If I were Mark, I would have done the same thing. New Blink's music is definitely worse without Tom, though - so from the perspective of artistic integrity and developing their sound, it was absolutely a step backward. 

• Like 5

I don't know if this is shared by anyone else but despite the bridges and PLG I was excited to hear what would come next after DED. It was a great EP and it felt like more of a natural progression than Neighborhoods. I'm bummed that'll never happen. 

I doubt Mark is stopping a BCR reunion but I also don't want one. It won't be the same, part of BCRs charm was the simplistic and aggressive style Tom had adopted and those days are gone. BCR these days qould just sound like AvA lite and that shit would be ethan as fuck. I'm glad it isn't happening.

• Like 6

Why would anyone want another BCR album? I highly doubt they could recapture a sound they did in 2002. Plus, then we once again run into the problem of wasting good ideas on side projects. 

Actually thats probably how he will return. He will release an Ava album and a BCR album, then use crappy leftover ideas for blink 182.