The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

47 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait. You're shitting on Sum 41 (hey, more power to ya) but going to bat for Dave Matthews Band? Ok, that's all I need to know.

I'm just being real here.  They have the best drummer of our generation, memorable instrumentalists (sax, violin, guitarist), have had major hits spread through their entire career, started from a small bar to the highest selling live show, charting #1 consistently all these years.  How are the likes of the rest of our bands doing? DMB is STILL dropping major hits 20 years later.

They're America's band for our generation if we're picking one whether you like them or not.  No one's sustained it as long.  Red Hot, Green Day, all became shells.  Nirvana only saw 3 big albums.  I was surprised when DMB was still coming out with hits, but credit to where it's due.

I don't know how you can even compare that resume to Sum 41.  Please try to.

1 minute ago, NJansaid said:

I'm just being real here.  They have the best drummer of our generation, memorable instrumentalists (sax, violin, guitarist), have had major hits spread through their entire career, started from a small bar to the highest selling live show, charting #1 consistently all these years.  How are the likes of the rest of our bands doing? DMB is STILL dropping major hits 20 years later.

Their America's band for our generation if we're picking one whether you like them or not.  No one's sustained it as long.  Red Hot, Green Day, all became shells.  Nirvana only saw 3 big albums.

Their saxophonist died recently too, didn't he?

16 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I can't believe Jan is still trying to defend the Dave Matthews Band.

What's there to defend? They do that for themselves.  Look at their accolades.  I don't listen to them much anymore but I'm not gonna sit here and act like Sum 41 has had a greater tenure than DMB just because I too liked to spike my hair and be angsty around the house when I was 14.

22 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

What's there to defend? They do that for themselves.  Look at their accolades.  I don't listen to them much anymore but I'm not gonna sit here and act like Sum 41 has had a greater tenure than DMB just because I too liked to spike my hair and be angsty around the house when I was 14.

I'm not judging you for liking DMB more than Sum 41, I'm judging you for thinking DMB is the most influential band of their generation.

35 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

They have good songs 

They do, people just like to think of their Rock Show and First Date, like ppl did for blink for so long.

15 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'm not judging you for liking DMB more than Sum 41, I'm judging you for thinking DMB is the most influential band of their generation.

Successful, not influential. They don't really influence anyone because no one can really replicate their sound. Nirvana was probably most influential.

Sum 41 used similar humor to blink 182 in their songs and videos. They were a bunch of goofballs. They weren't trying to be "edgy" at all.

They have a lot of songs with heavy metal influence, but that's a genre they all are fans of, and Dave their guitarist was talented enough to pull it off. 

It sounds like you just hate Deryck

27 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Successful, not influential. They don't really influence anyone because no one can really replicate their sound. Nirvana was probably most influential.

Right, you didn't say they were the most influential (or the most successful, for that matter), you said they were the best band of our generation. Yikes.

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

Right, you didn't say they were the most influential (or the most successful, for that matter), you said they were the best band of our generation. Yikes.

You could argue it. In terms of overall, most success, talent level, longevity, hits, albums, live show, etc.

2 hours ago, NJansaid said:

They're America's band for our generation if we're picking one whether you like them or not.  No one's sustained it as long.  Red Hot, Green Day, all became shells.  Nirvana only saw 3 big albums.  I was surprised when DMB was still coming out with hits, but credit to where it's due.

Dude I only know like a handful of songs by DMB and they all sound the same (terrible). I'm not going to go outta my way to listen to any song by them. Dave's voice is terrible. They're the American version of Nickelback. That's a better comparison actually. Sum 41 is in the pop-punk arena.

Funny story about "Self Esteem". I went to Top Golf on Rock n Roll night where you request your songs. I requested that song to Reggie. He said he had my back and he'd get it. 2 hours later it was never played. Next time I go back to top golf reggie is getting thrown off the top deck to his death.